Driving: Question on Snap

Official Announcements about the DGR site

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Driving: Question on Snap

Postby alowrie4 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:49 pm

I've been playing disc golf for a year or so and I've heard a few mixed things about driving and trying to increase distance and accuracy. Obviously grip, arm speed, and snap are some of the biggest factors. My arm speed and grip are good (I've started using the Climo fork grip and I love it), but I can't seem to figure out snap. First of all, what's a good definition of snap? I've heard it's creating extra spin on the disc, essentially it's what keeps the disc in the air longer, is that a good definition? If so, what's the best way to create consistent good snap. I throw about 350' accurately for on course distance but I can throw almost 400' or so if I'm just going for pure distance. Any help and pointers are appreciated!
alowrie4
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova Teebird

Re: Driving: Question on Snap

Postby JR » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:03 am

Welcome. This should be in the technique section. There is no single widely accepted definition of snap.

You have some snap already getting to 400'. A thesis in Norwegian by Carlsen measured that 10% of speed and 40 % of the spin came from when the wrist started to straighten until the disc left the fingers. Snap has several components and many get the first parts right failing the final piece. The disc pivoting between the thumb and the index finger holding on long enough for the disc to pivot as much as possible. Some lack stopping of the wrist that launches the disc pivot better. Some lack muscle based turning of the wrist. Others have the basics of reducing the amount of potential late acceleration by having the basics of form and timing off.

Snap feedback is great with catch discs. When you do not turn them over thrown hard you have great snap.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Driving: Question on Snap

Postby PMantle » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:45 am

Snap = Sasquatch
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Return to Disc Golf Review Official Announcements