Putting practice

Sets of drills targeted at developing a full skill sets of shots and mastery of flight characteristics. Players taking part are encouraged to post their experiences and feedback.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Putting practice

Postby discraft » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:32 pm

Take 5 putters. Start at the distance you should never miss at (mine is 10'). Make one take 2 steps back.Every make is another 2 steps back.Continue until you make all 5 with 2 steps back each make.When you get to the last one you have a pretty long putt.When you make that last one you will be happy :D .If you miss take another try.If you miss the second one you have to make all 5 from that distance :cry: .You can not continue until you make all 5.You will find what distance you miss at.This is a good thing.You will get better.You must believe!
If you make all 5 from the starting point with 2 steps back then increase your starting point(maybe 15' instead of 10').Remember if you miss 2 from the same spot you have to make all 5.Puts a lot of pressure on you to focus.Always set up and take your time do not rapid fire.
This practice has helped me:
(1) Stop missing short putts.
(2) Make longer and longer putts (By increasing the starting point each time I make all 5).
(3) Make the comeback putt(because thats the starting point).
(4) Confidence!
(5) Has coined the phrase CHRIS DON'T MISS!
I practice first with normal style(mine is foot forward,line drive).Then I practice every type of putt I can imagine with the same practice.(hyzer,turbo,staddle,etc...).This keeps it fresh and you need every style during rounds.I try to make every putt. I never lay up just throw the smartest type of putt for the condition.
Regular Dude that likes DISCRAFT.

Force:Nuke:Avenger:Buzz:Meteor:Stratus:APX
discraft
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Meteor

Re: Putting practice

Postby ManU » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:23 am

discraft wrote:If you miss take another try.If you miss the second one you have to make all 5 from that distance .You can not continue until you make all 5

I just want to clarify this ^^^ part

I've thrown and made it. I take 2 steps back and throw again. I miss. I now have 3 putters left. I "take another try". I miss.

Now you say I have to make all 5 from that distance before moving on. SO...do I now gather up the putters, stand at the point that I missed 2 in a row and try to make all 5.

And then IF I make all 5 I can then resume the 2 step back routine?

I like the routine...I have done something similar using 5 putters but I will throw 5 times from one distance (so 25 throws) before moving back to another distance. I generally use 15, 20, 25, and occasionally 30 feet if it is going well. If it isn't I stick to the 15 and 20 feet markers to make sure I am focused on technique.

Also, where do most people practice putting? In the basement? Or do you take your basket outside?

Blake has said that inside putting is not the same and that going outside I will tend to miss short. This seems to ring fairly true. I can hit putts in my basement 80% from 20 to 25 feet. But I don't think I am as good outside. But that might be down to the distances being different or the conditions.

Favorite Disc: Orion LF

Re: Putting practice

Postby discraft » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:32 pm

ManU wrote:I've thrown and made it. I take 2 steps back and throw again. I miss. I now have 3 putters left. I "take another try". I miss.

I just start counting from the spot I missed with however many disc I have left instead of gathering them all up.Then I start backing up again after I make 5.
The purpose is to practice the putts I miss, see where I miss, and how I miss.Also this routine pushes me to make longer putts.I make a lot of long putts.I can putt up to 100 feet now, any longer its a short throw which I practice also.
ManU wrote:Also, where do most people practice putting? In the basement? Or do you take your basket outside?

Outside, always with some elevation.
Regular Dude that likes DISCRAFT.

Force:Nuke:Avenger:Buzz:Meteor:Stratus:APX
discraft
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Meteor

Return to Disc Golf Review Training Assignments