Clemson, SC

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Clemson, SC

Postby Fightingthetide » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:34 am

My in-laws live down that way and we'll be making a trip there this weekend. I normally play at the University Beach course, and it's actually a really fun course. However, I think they have a home football game, and the entire course circles around (and through) a parking lot used for game day. So that's not going to happen.

Does anyone know of a good 18 hole course nearby? On DGCR I saw a few that looked okay, but Grand Central Station seemed to be the best 18 hole course in the area - http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.ph ... 01&mode=ci

Any other suggestions? I'm not wanting to drive more than 30 minutes from Clemson.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Clemson, SC

Postby keltik » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:08 am

most of the Upstate courses require a bit of driving (hell most all SC courses do as a matter of fact). Va-Du-Mar in Boiling Springs (north of Spartanburg) was my favorite when I lived down there. but that is probably close to an hour from Clempson, and they've redesigned it. Trails down in Anderson is just okay. Foothills in Easley can be fun too. Grand Central Station wasn't open when I was there so I don't know. I think they are having the SC doubles championship there soon (maybe this weekend maybe last). But all the reviews are saying that Central is the new bomb in the Upstate. and it's like 5 minutes from Clempson. Seneca and Wallhalla are supposed to be decent courses too.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Fightingthetide » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:22 am

Yeah I looked on a map and my in-laws live around the corner from Grand Central...they live in Central, but nobody knows where that is unless you live there.

Looks like i'll be playing there this weekend. Where can I find info on the tournament? I want to make sure I don't get there the same time it's going on.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fightingthetide » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:43 am

Found it. It was last week.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby keltik » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:16 am

Yeah I remembered seeing something about it over at DGCR and I knew most of the guys in the thread. DG is still pretty small in SC, even with Sarah Stanhope-Cunningham being a local and a world champ. I don't miss living there but I do miss a few of the courses.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby keltik » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:41 am

so how was Grand Central Station?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:53 am

Turns out I misunderstood their website and the tourney was going on this past weekend. I got to talk to one of the guys from High Fly Discs (working the merch stand and selling discs) and got to throw 1-9 with him during the lunch break.

If I remember correctly, #5 or 6 is a long open hole, remniscient of an easier #18 at Rennaisance due to the massive powerline towers in the fairway...just without a massve canyon to avoid. You throw from about 75' in front of the first tower (casual play: mando around the tower. tourney play: around the tower, or in between the legs...up to the TD) and the basket is under the second tower about 700'+ away. I birdied it with ~325' upshot, parked :D Also, theres a REALLY fun downhill shot that's at least 500', if not more, with a creek about 75' from the basket. It's easy to lay up short of the creek, but if you go for it and miss short, you are OB in the creek. If you can sneak a long one across the creek there's a shot at eagle...but they masterfully placed a few short bushes around the basket to keep you from getting a clear shot at it. And the course isn't only designed for big D. There's a lot of shorter birdie holes, punishing line-shaping holes, and a few blind shots using elevation change and turning fairways through the woods. It's designed really well.

It definitely competes with Charlotte courses in terms of difficulty, variance in length and line-shaping, and it's incredibly well kept. The park is new, and the signage is new too, and it's a disc golf course and nothing else...so no pedestrians or other traffic to worry about. It's definitely going to be on my list of favorite courses...and plus my in-laws live 2 miles away from it. I'm headed back in 2 weeks to play it again.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby keltik » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:08 am

man I may have to make a trip back down there just to check it out. sucks you caught them in the middle of the tourney.

was the guy you played with named Bill?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:57 pm

Nope, it was Jami. I think Bill was the guy who owned High Fly. Do you know him?
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby keltik » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:47 pm

Yeah I know Bill. Played with him a few times when I lived in Greenville.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:09 pm

Great guy. Talked with him for a few minutes too.

Let me know if you head down there to play.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Courses