So what are your top 10 courses?

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Desafinado » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:34 am

baydgplayer wrote:It is really depressing that there is all of those great courses on the the east coast. I hope the west coast catches up. California in particular
:?

hiya baydgplayer,

i live about 10 minutes north of you, and if you look a couple posts before yours, i've got a list of some california courses that are in your reach that i consider to be excellent. i have no experience playing on the east coast, but i bet i can change your mind.

there are four easy daytrips to bitchin' courses you can make from fremont, in case you've only played hellyer/chabot/aquatic/moraga(no offense to those tracks intended). i noticed from a previous post that you've just started, so i bet you haven't checked out too many of these places. estimated one-way driving time from fremont figured on a weekend morning, leaving early(< 7:30).

1: santa cruz, delaveaga(27 holes), 1 hour drive time

2: novato, stafford lake(18 holes), 1:15 drive time

3: monterey, oaks/cypress courses(2 x 18 holes), 1:30 drive time

4: napa, skyline park(18 holes), 1:30 drive time

and if you're really feeling adventurous, grab a/some friends, and try this:

5. grass valley, condon park --> penn valley, hanging oaks ----> auburn, auburn regional. (2 x 18 holes, 1 x 25ish). 2:45 drive time to the first course, leave at like 5:30 am. the good thing is that the drive time from course to course is about 10 minutes each time. this is a totally fun, but exhausting day, my arm felt like it would fall off the next morning.

and after march 31st, you'll have about a 1:10 drive to the golden gate park course, which should rock as well.
Desafinado
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby presidio hills » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:12 am

baydgplayer wrote:It is really depressing that there is all of those great courses on the the east coast. I hope the west coast catches up. California in particular
:?

it does seem like in other parts of the country people can choose between 10-20 different courses within a 2 hours drive. and although we aren't that lucky in california, as desafinado said, there are still some great courses in our area...
a lot of the top pros rate santa cruz as one the best in the country and i think some of the other courses in desafinado's list are just as good in their own way (especially stafford, monteray, and napa).

tahoe has 2 amazing courses as well... plus toney's mountain golf in grass valley is the ultimate disc golf gettaway (teepees, night golf, super nice family, and the hardest course this side of the mississip... maybe, i don't know but it's fucking rediculously tough)
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Revised List

Postby Will Aubrey » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:47 pm

1. Iroquois Park - Louisville KY
2. Sanders Ferry Park - Hendersonville TN (May move up to first after I play it a few more times. It's by far the prettiest course I have played.)
3. Kereiakes - Bowling Green KY
4. Muse Park - Jackson, TN
5. Yellow Creek - Owensboro, KY
6. Central Park - Murray, KY
7. Eagle Valley - Evansville, IN
8. American Legion Park - Glasgow, KY
9. Thompson Point - Carbondale, IL
10. Natcher Elementary - Bowling Green, KY
Will Aubrey
Tree Magnet

move down the bench update

Postby jist313 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:06 am

1. WARWICK- Holy crap what a great course. it has everything you could want!!! Tight woods, tough layout, long tees, open holes to bomb, versatility, guarded pins, rocky ledges, and beautiful. Hole 14 is awesome with the island green.
2.Tyler State Park PA (love the long B's and C's, Tight course, difficult) My home course
3. Nockimixon PA (Amazingly beautiful and seriously difficult) It might make my number two spot if they get the four holes back.
4. Endicott STL (good layout, some nasty holes, think your doing fine then crash)
5. Jefferson Barracks STL (good, fun layout)
6. Sinks, Chattanooga TN (great new course that got me hooked, Wooded)
7. Tinicum Park PA (Long mostly open, windy)
8. Sioux Passage STL (Open and long)
9. Sedgley Woods PHL (some unique holes, watch out for flying discs, tees too close to pins)
10. Rutgers NJ (Different course in each layout, great for practicing short game because you can play like 200 rounds a day).

Still gotta play
Idle Wild, Cincinnati (I am there often but never get to play)
Brandywine DE
Seneca MD
Paw Paw WV
and all the courses in Allentown PA
Renny Gold,
Winthrop U
Cordorus sounds great
jist313
Noob

Postby bigs348 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:19 am

Eric, glad to see you got up to Warwick. I believe from your description that it's everything I told you it was and more. It takes a mighty good course to take my #1 spot over Tyler. What layout(s) did you play?
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jamsisjams » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:08 pm

I'm slowly working my way around the eastern states.

Richmond Hill - Asheville, NC (can't wait till this course is reopened)
Renaissance Park - Charlotte, NC
Buckhorn at Harris Lake - Raleigh, NC
Cedar Hills - Raleigh, NC
Cliff Stephens - Clearwater, FL
Warrior's Path - Kingsport, TN
Victor Ashe - Knoxville, TN
Glenn C. Hilton - Hickory, NC
Mars Hill College - Mars Hill, NC
Shaver Recreation Center - Seneca, SC
Tsunami-SOLF--JLS-Wasp-Buzzz--Wizard-Whitler

"Hit me with your wisdom, cow."
jamsisjams
1000 Rated Poster

Iced over--- the adventures of Warwick

Postby jist313 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:47 pm

Sorry long post... You don't have to read it if you do not want to.

Well I finally got to play Warwick. It was an adventure! Due to sketchy directions and a couple wrong turns it took me three and a half hours just to get there (two hours back). Saturday was great weather 59 degrees no wind or snow or standing water so I thought it would finally be the day I have been waiting for, until I got to New York. Everything was covered in a thick layer of snow and ice. The entire course was blanketed. It was very difficult to climb some of the hills without slipping. I learned to ski on my front foot and steer with the back. Some holes like number 6 got really dangerous.

All the silver tees were cleared off (thank God). None of the blue tees were though and I couldn't chip through the ice either. I made careful notes of all layouts and was impressed by the versatility. I threw as many shots from the blues as I could. The Blue and Silver tees and Pins make every hole different in each layout you want to play. By hole number 6 a bad storm came through with heavy wind and horizontal rain. I did everything I could just to stand. After driving so far I was determined no matter what weather it through at me I was going to play.
By the end of my first round the rain and wind died down and I was able to calm myself down. I played three rounds altogether (all from silver to blue) the second being my best. I kept score but didn't know the par for the layout. I ended up scoring a 63. I guess that is good for the weather.

It seems like every hole is a signature hole. My favorite holes are too many to record but 5 is nice with the anhyzer to the tall cliff. 14 was probably my favorite altogether. Long drive down hill hit the 15 foot gap in trees, 125-150 foot approach to an island green with a fast current stream guarding it. 18 was long and tough due to each of the disc gobbling tree lines you have to navigate and small holes you have to hit.

The course was very technical requiring long drives and approaches that need to be spot on so you can hit the gap many of the hour glass shaped holes. Every pin was guarded by rocks, cliffs, trees, slopes, water. This course has it all, technical layout, tight woods, guarded pins, open drives, permanent multiple tees and pins on every hole, elevation, beauty, and length.

I can't wait to see it on a good day.
jist313
Noob

Postby vonDrehle » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:57 pm

Glenn C. Hilton (My Home Course) - Hickory, NC
Cedarock or Wellspring (The Wooded Course) - Burlington, NC
Zebulon - Zebulon, NC
Hornets Nest - Charlotte, NC
High Country Disc Golf Course - Jefferson, NC (Not yet finished but I really like what is there now)
Cedar Hills - Raleigh, NC
Renaissance - Charlotte, NC
Yadkin County Park - Yadkinville, NC
Reedy Creek - Charlotte, NC
Charlotte Web - Charlotte, NC (Played when they were still clearing fairways and there weren't any tee boxes. That is the only reason it is last.)
vonDrehle
Steward Turkeylink: Has not seen The Godfather and is probably a horrible person

Favorite Disc: River

Postby Beat Roc » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:37 pm

Desafinado wrote:5. grass valley, condon park --> penn valley, hanging oaks ----> auburn, auburn regional. (2 x 18 holes, 1 x 25ish). 2:45 drive time to the first course, leave at like 5:30 am. the good thing is that the drive time from course to course is about 10 minutes each time. this is a totally fun, but exhausting day, my arm felt like it would fall off the next morning.

presidio hills wrote:tahoe has 2 amazing courses as well... plus toney's mountain golf in grass valley is the ultimate disc golf gettaway (teepees, night golf, super nice family, and the hardest course this side of the mississip... maybe, i don't know but it's fucking rediculously tough)

So the ultimate would be...book a night at Toney's, play there all day, next morning hit the Grass Valley, Penn Valley, Auburn triumvirate. If your not totally whipped you can catch 18 on the way home in Rocklin (course is 5 min. off I-80).

I'm feel lucky that play Grass Valley and Penn Valley 4 or 5 times a week often on an extended lunch break. Both nice courses.

BTW Tahoe has three amazing courses. South Lake, Truckee, and Zepher Cove. However, the lake is so a big, its tough to play all three in one day unless you start early, early.
Beat Roc
Tree Magnet

Postby discndav » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:01 pm

my top 10 from memory (only the top 2 are in order):

1. Sabattus, MAINE 2 courses
2. Warwick, NY 2 tees and 2 baskets on each hole = 4 courses
3. Waterworks in Kansas City
4. DeLavega in Santa Cruz, CA
5. DMACC - temp course in Des Moines, IA
6. Maple Hill at MArshall St in MA
7. LaMirada near Los Angeles
8. Hudson Mills - Ann Arbor,MI
9. College Lodge at IUP - Indiana,PA
10. Winthrop, in SC

honorable mention:
Swope in KC
Knob Hill near Pittsburgh
Tyler St Pk ne of Philly
Diez Pk in se Ohio
Wickham in CT
7 Oaks in Nashville
Cedars Hill in Nashville
Bandywine in DEL
Senaca pre-2007 near Wash DC
Ellison n Rochester NY
Chili near Rochester NY
Ewing in Des Moines

I probably forgot some, I'd better check my list.
discndav
Noob

Postby the_lung » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:13 pm

Dave,

Do you not like the new layout at Seneca?
the_lung
Noob

Postby discndav » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:34 pm

I haven't played Senaca since 1999 but know it has changed and the more I play the more I hate hitting trees off the tee. Is the new Senaca less open than old Senaca? I don't throw rollers (on purpose) and still liked the old version.
discndav
Noob

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:04 pm

I personally like both the new and old senecas.

I would say its cooler now because there are 27 holes. Additionally, you don't need to throw a roller as often. New hole 10 long, formerly hole 1 comes to mind as the only hole where you absolutely need a roller to get the bird.
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby wdb4th » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:39 pm

Tough List:

1.Miniuaken Park, Mukwanago WI
2. Rockton, IL
3. Kereiakes, Bowling Green, KY
4. Creve Coeur, St. Louis, MO
5. Lippold Park, Crystal Lake, IL
6. Central Park, Murray, KY
7. Yellow Creek, Owensboror, KY
8. Fairfield Park, Round Lake, IL
9. Basil Griffin, Bowling Green, KY
10. White Burch, St. Louis, MO

Honorable Mention
Gower Park, Greenville, SC There is a TANK on the 9th fairway
Fox River Park, Silver Lake, WI Fun little 9 hole
Throw Quest AT!

Bullard Disc Golf Design
wdb4th
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beat Proto Magic

Postby plastic_fondler » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:58 am

uNicedmeMan wrote:I personally like both the new and old senecas.

I would say its cooler now because there are 27 holes. Additionally, you don't need to throw a roller as often. New hole 10 long, formerly hole 1 comes to mind as the only hole where you absolutely need a roller to get the bird.

Hmm...Hole 22 to the long is a roller hole still as well. I've gotten the bird on a air shot, but I've also gotten in the cedars quite a few times. Also, I'd roll hole 20 to the long, but I have a nice flick to park that. Also hole 9 from the long to the long pin. I've only ever gotten that bird with a roller.

Overall, I like the new layout better than the old one. More balanced and more holes. This course is on my top ten list.
plastic_fondler
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: firebird

PreviousNext

Return to Courses