So what are your top 10 courses?

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:18 am

Chuck....where are the next decided worlds locations and who is bidding for 2010? I'm wondering if Monterey is in the mix yet with their 4 fourth course in the ground now.

2009 Pro/Am Worlds in Kansas City
2010 Am Worlds small towns north of Columbus, OH centered around Marion
2010 Pro Worlds Hammond, IN is preparing a bid
2011 Am Worlds Rochester, NY
2011 Pro Worlds - Open
2012 - Open and no bids accepted for review until 2009 Spring Summit

No knowledge of any other bids being prepared for Fall Summit in September but have heard rumors from other places regarding future plans to do so
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby RustyP » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:35 am

Chuck Kennedy wrote:
Chuck....where are the next decided worlds locations and who is bidding for 2010? I'm wondering if Monterey is in the mix yet with their 4 fourth course in the ground now.

2009 Pro/Am Worlds in Kansas City
2010 Am Worlds small towns north of Columbus, OH centered around Marion
2010 Pro Worlds Hammond, IN is preparing a bid
2011 Am Worlds Rochester, NY
2011 Pro Worlds - Open
2012 - Open and no bids accepted for review until 2009 Spring Summit

No knowledge of any other bids being prepared for Fall Summit in September but have heard rumors from other places regarding future plans to do so

Chuck, do you know if the Dallas / Ft. Worth, TX area has ever hosted a Worlds? I've heard a lot of people talking about the possibility of hosting one in the next several year with all the new courses going in right now.
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:39 am

The Pro Worlds in Texas were Port Arthur in 1994 and 1995 and 2002 in Houston. No Am Worlds there.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Re: So what are your top 10 courses?

Postby dmbill » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:45 pm

1. Buckhorn at Harris Lake County Park - New Hill, NC
2. Dretzka Park - WI
3. Golden Hills DGC - Christiansburg/Blacksburg, VA
4. New Quarter Park - Williamsburg Va
5. Bennett's Creek Park - Suffolk, VA
6. Dorey Park - Richmond, VA
7. Loriella Park - Spotsylvania, VA
8. Newport News DGC - Newport News, VA
9. Bryan Park - Richmond, VA
10. Pratt Park-Fredericksburg, VA
dmbill
Noob

Favorite Disc: Star Fire

Postby marmoset » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:21 pm

dmbill- have you played Randolph Park? It is about 30 minutes away from Golden Hills and a great new course. There are some issues with it but it is new and I think they are mostly "teething problems."

Also Franklin County Park (also called Sontag) is well worth the trip. It is by Roanoke.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby Will Aubrey » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:36 pm

I think I have posted on this thread before. But I like thinking about my favorite courses. So here is my updated top 10.

Mike Miller Park - Draffenville KY
Iroquois Park - Louisville KY
Kereiakes - Bowling Green KY
Lake Cumberland State Park - Jamestown KY
Muse Park - Jackson TN
George Ward Park - Birmingham AL
Sanders Ferry - Hendersonville TN
Mesker Park - Evansville IN
Memorial Park - Paris TN
Central Park - Murray KY
Will Aubrey
Tree Magnet

Postby Solbo » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:15 pm

I am from Mass.

1. Maple Hill, Leicester, MA: uber challenging... lots of water... lots of technical shots... great staff and such.
2. Borderland State Park, Sharon/Easton, MA: Long layout is a par 68... 2 tees and 2 baskets on every hole... lots of different looks, you use alot of the discs in your bag.
3. North Calais, Calais, VT: Home of a NT last year, with Sugarbush.. super technical... GREAT course.
4. Sugarbush, VT: Peak course was more of a "anamoly..." throw putters 500+ feet... throw off some serious elevation... Peak course here is a great layout.
5. Buffumville Dam, Charlton, MA: 27 Holes, Mini 9 is great for beginners... Back-Back is a nice layout.
6. Pyramids, Leicester, MA: Home to Marshall Street... Great Staff, one of the originals up here in the northeast... 2 baskets on everyhole... elevation, airport hole, etc... great time..
7. Wickham Park, CT: WISH I could play this course more... GREAT, GREAT, GREAT layout.
8. Sunset Park, Las Vegas, NV: Fun course, you can tell it's one of the older courses out there.. flat... newer holes are really fun.
9. Rindge, NH: Private course, one of Steady Ed's Originals, only opens up once a year for NH States...
10. Burgess Park, Marstons Mills, MA: Only course on Cape Cod, home course, course I learned on...
Solbo's Hodgepodge (trade list)

Hey that's ME! @ 51 Seconds...

**Nuke | Wraith | Orc | Force | River | Firebird | Q-Sent | Roc | Meteor | Stingray | Magnet**
Solbo
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Ching Stamped Roc

Postby Toomes » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:21 pm

1 Ashe County Park
2 Winthrop Gold
3 Castle Hayne
4 Hornet's Nest
5 Buckhorn
6 Renny
7 Keriakeis
8 Lake Olmstead
9 Zebulon
10 Barnet Park
Toomes
Tree Magnet

Postby Seneca_22 » Fri May 08, 2009 12:16 pm

I've played about 27 courses, some less memorable than others. In no particular order.

Sipapu, Vadito NM
Caposia, Minneapolis MN
Highland Park, Minneapolis/St. Paul MN
Sibley Park, Bismark ND
Water Works, Kansas City KS
Tuthill Park, Sioux Falls SD
Centennial Park, Lawrence KS
Lindreth, Lindreth NM Home Made Course (Beastly)
Champ Course, Amarillo TX Disc Crazy Tournament
Triangle Sports Complex?, Green Bay WI
Seneca_22
Tree Magnet

Postby chiggins » Fri May 08, 2009 2:31 pm

These are in some kind of order, but not strict...

Coyote Point (Lake Casitas, CA): This is where I first started playing. I've played course since that are bigger, some that are harder technically, but this one's my first love. The course is technically demanding, plenty of elevation changes up and down, and plenty of water hazards. You earn par on this course. Aside from that, it's one of those courses that's loaded with places where you're hiking along, look up and realize that you're in one of the most beautiful places you could ask to be in. The folks from Ventura Disc Golf are also a swell bunch of folks, I'm proud and privileged to know 'em. It also puts you about 20 minutes from downtown Ventura, which puts you close to Corralles, which has bar none the best burritos I've ever had.

De Laveaga (Santa Cruz, CA): Amazing variety of challenging holes, gorgeous NoCal scenery, and if it's not too hazy the view from 27 out over SCruz is truly breathtaking. My in-laws live close by, I get giddy whenever we plan a visit. I love the smell of the forest, the terrain, and the history. But aside from all that, it's one helluva challenge, and you'll get to use every shot in your bag.

Woodshed/Whippin' Post (Paw Paw, WV): My dreams about what kind of course(s) I would build if I had the land and resources aren't as spectacular as what Spencer Thurman built at Paw Paw. 65 acres of rolling pastures and woods, 2 courses packed with par 4's and 5's, gorgeous location and super swell people. Both courses totally redefined my concepts of what a disc golf course could be. The thing I like best about these courses is that with most courses, the story of any single hole is a short one: there's a really good drive or a not so good one; there's a great approach or a blown one; there's a long or a short putt. At Paw Paw, your immaculate awesome long drive ain't the end of the story, not even close, but the same goes for your totally shanked one. "There's still a lot of golf to play" doesn't just apply to the round, it applies to the hole itself.

Codorus State Park (Hanover, PA): If it only had one 18 hole course running through the woods and around Lake Marburg, and if that course only had 9 extended holes for those that require a serious humbling, it would be an awesome course. But there's two of 'em, see? And they're both excellent courses, great variety of shots, elevation changes, open rip-it holes and tight, technical ones. But if that's not enough, and you like throwing your mini Aviars around at lunch, then you can play a round on the 18-hole mini course too. There's camping across the street, boating, fishing, and all sortsa other distractions too.

Sylmar Upper Course (Sylmar, CA): I played this one in '06 at the Summertime Open (a two-day, four rounder that got up to 102 degrees if I remember correctly). Veterans Memorial Park is built on the grounds of the V.A. Hospital that was destroyed in an earthquake in 1971, and the permanent course (which is also really nice and a challenge besides) is built on the lower part of the park, but for the Summertime Open they put up a course on the upper grounds. If you've ever walked around an estate with interesting, rolling landscaping and thought, "man, this would be an incredible place for a course, but no one would let that happen here", that's the kind of course they put in for the tournament. If they're still doing it, and you're in the area around tourney time, it's gorgeous and definitely worth playing.

La Mirada (La Mirada, CA): I haven't been to La Mirada in several years, but I know they've taken out several holes from when it was a 27 hole course to make way for development. It's not as any of the other courses on my list, it's more of a city park with playgrounds, and pretty well manicured. But it's got great rolling terrain, some awesome big shots, and it's really pretty, and . One of the holes they tore out (breaks the heart, it does) hugged a left-to-right turning ridge of a slope that dropped down probably 30 feet or so to a grove of birch trees, the basket was on the slope a few hundred feet ahead. Oh, man, I just saw that Mike Williams' pro shop has closed. *sigh*

Seneca Creek (Gaithersburg, MD): Gorgeous park, now with 27 holes! This course is a classic, gorgeous forest holes, elevation holes, and those cedars... those cedars. Love this course. The holes along the creek are gorgeous, the ones through the trees will test you, and the two meter sticks leaning next to the cedars let you know that 1. the two-meter rule is always in effect here, and 2. people spend a lot of time digging into those branches. They're like disc velcro. It's an amazing course with a lot of history and it makes you earn every shot. Wish they allowed beer. :)

Rockburn Branch Park (Elkridge, MD): Beautiful 18 hole course less than an hour from DC and even closer to Bawlmer, hon. There's a lot of trees, some water, a bunch of different looks, shots, and challenges to put you to the test. But it's also really pretty, and wraps itself around and through some historic buildings and structures. It's like Brandywine that way, you can feel the history as you walk the course, but it's a much tighter, woodsier course. Stay on the fairways in the summer, or at least make sure to take a couple discs you won't mind saying goodbye to if they leave the fairway.

Waller Park (Santa Maria, CA): It's not the hilliest course, nor the most technical, but it is challenging, beautiful, and a lot of fun. I always try to get in a round there when I'm in the area. The front 9 draws you into the front of the park where the trees are well placed, but not super dense. The middle nine takes you deeper into the park for some technical work, and the last nine gets you out into the field for some longer, wider open shots. The Santa Maria Disc Golf Club is chock full of great folks, I always loved seeing them at SoCal events, and if you should win one of Lawrence Halili's gorgeous hand-made trophies, you'll be stoked.

Druid Hill Park (Baltimore, MD): This is a gem of a course smack in the middle of Baltimore, right next to the zoo, featuring 18 holes with long and short concrete pads, and 9 X-holes through the deeper parts of the woods. It's got a great mix of open, elevation, lightly and heavily wooded technical holes, and it's really fun to play.
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby cquinn17 » Mon May 25, 2009 10:20 am

1. Blue Ribbon Pines DGC, East Bethel, MN
2. Granite Ridge, Highbridge, WI
3. Badlands DG Course at Camenisch Park, Denver, CO
4. Bryant Lake Park, Eden Prairie, MN
5. Kaposia Park, South St. Paul, MN
6. Seatac DGC, Seatac, WA
7. Morley Field, San Diego, CA
8. Indian Hills Community College, Ottumwa, IA
9. Thunderhead Disc Golf Course, Steamboat Springs, CO
10. Ed Austin Park (Fore Palms DGC), Jacksonville, FL

The order could be switched around quite a bit but all in all, these are my top 10 favorite courses out of the 50 or so I have played.
Pred - Boss - Teebird - Flick - Roc - Magnet
cquinn17
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: 11x Roc

Postby topcide » Fri May 29, 2009 1:53 pm

anyone that has played Flip City in BFE, aka outside of shelby, MI, will likely have it listed near the top of their list.

Anyone with in a reasonable drive needs to play flip. Anyone not in a resonable drive, needs to plan a trip.

It's the highest rated course on DGcoursereview.com, and for a good reason. I finally made it out there over memorial day weekend, and it was nothing short of amazing, and I can not really imagine a better course. As soon as my film comes back I will post my pictures.

believe the hype.
topcide
Noob

Postby plastic_fondler » Sun May 31, 2009 9:20 am

Watch out...Balto local migrated to the west coast! Seneca does allow drinking in the park lot/picnic tables...hence the three loop design. Some of my favorite courses there too!
plastic_fondler
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: firebird

Postby chiggins » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:59 am

plastic_fondler wrote:Seneca does allow drinking in the park lot/picnic tables...hence the three loop design.

I think that ended this year, no more beer even at the tables :(
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby domromer » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:37 pm

1. Pier Park, Portland Oregon
2. Whistlers Bend, Roseburg Oregon
3. Pocatello DGC, Pocatello Idaho
4. Old Nau, Flagstaff AZ
5. Lake Mary Tree Course, Flagstaff AZ
6. Buffalo Park, Phoenix AZ
7. Papago Park, Tempe AZ
8. Marana DGC, Marana AZ
9. Tom Pierce Park, Grants Pass Oregon
10. Verde River DGC, Camp Verde AZ
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

PreviousNext

Return to Courses