So what are your top 10 courses?

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby The Clergyman » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:27 am

Nobody played much in Canada?
Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.
~Dr.Seuss
The Clergyman
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z XL...or not

Postby pointdisc » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:28 am

Haven't played on much, maybe a dozen, so here's my top 5/

1) Standing Rocks, Stevens Point WI
2) Vollrath, Sheboygan WI (home course)
3) Yulga, Stevens Point, WI
4) Crystal Lake Park, Beaver Dam, WI
5) Baraboo, WI

pd
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby the invisible tree » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:01 pm

Every course I've ever played will make this list so take it with a boulder of salt.

1. Hippodrome N. Augusta, SC
A temporary course for the '06 Worlds. What can I say? I'm a glutton for punishment. This course is brutal for someone of my limited abilities. Open Men played it twice. The first round Climo tore it up for a -14 and the second round (same baskets and tees) he shot a +1. It's also quite scenic in some areas with an elevated view of downtown Augusta. The only thing I want to remember about my one round played at this course is bombing a 500 ft. drive on a hole with about 30 ft. elevation drop.
2. Lake Olmstead - Augusta, GA
Disc retailers love this course (unless they don't like making money).
3. Redan - Atlanta, GA
I've only played it twice but it's super well maintained with a good variety of shot types.
4. Riverview - N. Augusta, SC
The first 12 holes are great there are some pretty weak holes in the back six. Prepare for humidity near 100% at all times and lots of mosquitoes.
5. East Roswell - Atlanta, GA
Lots and lots of woods. Very tough, but fair. It loses some points for crap teepads and high traffic.
6. Patriots Park - Grovetown, GA
I used to love this course but lately the park has let it go to crap. It's lost one hole to construction and had another (my favorite on the course) all but ruined by it. They rarely cut the grass anymore which is not cool considering the number of snake sightings here.
7. Pendleton King - Augusta, GA
Way too many people strolling on the course and can't be played on the weekends without major headaches due to all the traffic. It's also short. They also recently ruined my favorite hole out here by shortening it way up (old distance 390ft. new distance 275ft.).
8. Tupelo Bay - Myrtle Beach, SC
This course sucks. No holes longer than 300 ft. and most shorter than that. It's on a par three golf course. Waiting for 5 or 10 minutes on every tee pad for the golfers to move while it's still 95 degrees at night with 95% humidity sucks. It is lighted so you can experience it's suckitude at night. This is also the only course I've ever payed to play. Stay Clear!
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby WhtSx2005 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:30 pm

It is lighted so you can experience it's suckitude at night.

....looks in dictionary.....nope not there

this made me laugh because as I read down the post, you had stronger remarks for every courses 4-8. :lol:
WhtSx2005
Noob

Postby Tanner » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:39 pm

1. Mt. Morris 18 hole Mt. Morris, WI
2. Standing Rocks 18 hole Plover, WI
3. North Wood County Park 20 hole Vesper, WI
4. Yulga 18 hole Stevens Point, WI
5. Mead park...c'mon, it's fun for a cool down.
-Tanner
Tanner
Noob

Postby zealot » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:49 am

ive played 3

Canton, Ohio -sweet, plenty of variety
Massillon, Ohio -sweet but hard (all woods)
Louisville, Ohio - okay, but only 9 holes and too much mosquitos
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby CincyKeith » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:53 am

lock-off wrote:ive played 3

Canton, Ohio -sweet, plenty of variety
Massillon, Ohio -sweet but hard (all woods)
Louisville, Ohio - okay, but only 9 holes and too much mosquitos

Canton is a pretty nice course. You'll have to check out some of my favorites, since they're not TERRIBLY far from you.

Brent Hambrick DG Course, Columbus, Ohio. MANY of the top pros make an strong effort to make it to this Tourny every year. Great Course.

Mt. Airy, Cincinnati, Ohio. There's an Innova Pro that has this one on his top 5....I forget who it is. I may be a LITTLE biased on this choice, since me and my family were a huge part to making this course possible.

Idlewild, Burlington, KY. I believe this course is still one of the top 3 highest "SSA's" in the world. Professional caliber.

Banklick, Independence, KY. Very nice, challenging course with variety and array of shots.

Honorable mentions: Belmont Park & Kettering Park, Dayton, Ohio. Haven't played these in a while, but nice courses.

Rapid Run Park, Cincinnati, Ohio. Temp layout set up for 95 AM worlds & 98 Pro Worlds. Nice scenic course....I wish it was a permanent course. :cry:
Practice, practice, practice. Especially with players that are better than you. It's one of the only ways to learn new things.
CincyKeith
Noob

Postby deaddisc » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:58 am

Idlewild, Burlington, KY. I believe this course is still one of the top 3 highest "SSA's" in the world. Professional caliber.

Guess it was just dumb luck that it was the only course my friends and I played on our way through KY. Was so beautiful, really set the table for the great trip we had.
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby redspexxx » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:09 am

huntsville, AL is home to a couple good courses, all within like 15 min of each other.
Mastin Lake- newest, tight on the side of a hill
Brahan Springs- one of the first courses ever built
UAH- designed by local innova pros, its a workout
Redstone- beautiful, but its on military base and entry can be a pain if not military. but its worth it.
the Athens Sportsplex is about an 45 min away, but its new and very nice so if you go to huntsville check that one out too. if you ever find yourself in north alabama you should check them out, more than worth it.
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Glock23 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:22 am

1. Arbor/Spiker Park - Canton Ohio - Great course, 24 holes, 2 tees, tons of variation and nice layout. Several holes have water to watch out for. Hole ten is a beast at 725 feet, you throw from an elevated wooded tee, most days into a head wind, this hole can make or break your round. I have yet to see anyone score a 3 on this.

2. Roscoe Ewing Park - 18 holes - Medina Ohio - A close second, more wooded, but very well thought out, a lot of elevation changes and some very unique holes. There is a stream that runs through the course that comes into to play on several holes, and a walking path that winds through as well. This is also the oldest dg course in Ohio. It takes a few rounds to get the feel for it, but it is well worth it.

3. Silver Springs - 18 holes - Hudson Ohio - A beautiful course! The thing that keeps this from being a top course imo is their tee pads. They use only a single slab of concrete, and it is tricky to get your run-up right without rolling your ankle. The landscape is awesome though. The first side is very compact and technical, and the second is more open for more power shots. Also has other things to do besides dg, paddle boats and other things can be rented for on the lake, their is a nice walking path, fishing, volleyball, basketball, bbq ect.

4. Lincoln Park - 18 holes - Massilon Ohio
Very wooded, very technical. You are dealing with trees on every hole, and elevation changes on most. This course can eat you and your discs alive. I am going to play their tonight, such fun.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby superq » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:29 am

1. Blue Valley - Kansas city, MO

2. Souix Passage - St. Louis, Mo

3. Jones park east - Emporia, KS

4. Water works - Kansas city, MO

5. Endicott - St. Louis, MO

Ok only a top 5 for me.
superq
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FOCUS

top 5 DFW courses

Postby RustyP » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:01 pm

I've only played courses here in TX, and not even that many, so here's my top 5 Dallas/Ft Worth area courses:

1. Lester Lorch Park - Cedar Hill, TX: 2 courses (Coyote and Beaver) one semi-open with water in play on 3 holes, the other cut through dense cedar woods....gorgeous. Almost every hole on the back course is a "signature hole" - very technical. I definitely agree with most locals that this park will host a major event in the next 4-5 years. My personal favorite.

2. Audubon Park - Garland, TX: My home course - It's definitely "love it or hate it", due to the dirt tees and home-made pins (with baskets that are slanted outward slightly....lots of splash-outs). Pretty diverse range of holes, but mostly long semi-open shots...some woods come into play. Hole 4 is probably "THE Audubon Hole" - 200ft-ish through tight woods with a creek on the right and directly behind the pin. Alternate tees recently installed, with a 3rd set coming soon.

3. Crawford Park - Dallas, TX: AMAZING new course - every hole is unique...I've heard people compare parts of Crawford to Ozark-region courses. It's a shame that this course is in such a bad part of town. Several of the baskets have been cut to pieces by local dirt-bikers who used to ride where the course is now located, and a few cars with DG stickers have been keyed and spray-painted. If you want to check it out (which you should), try it on a Saturday or Sunday morning, when there is a lot of pedestrian traffic near the parking lots. 3 tees on each hole...no signs yet though. Hole 9 from the Champ tee is ridiculous.

4. Z-boaz DGC - Ft. Worth, TX: I've just recently started playing here in the past 2 months, and it's already one of my favorites. Great variety of shots - from 150ft ace run through the trees to wide open 550ft+ downhill bomber #4....sooooo fun. Last time I heard, the ace pot for weekly mini's was over $1,000 (they play the mini's in the long position). Mostly open, but the last 4-5 holes are pretty tight. Hole 2 is quite a challenge.

5. Jimmy Porter Park - Carrolton, TX: There are several city park courses in Dallas, but none as fun and challenging as Porter. For such a small course (45min to 1hr by yourself) it has great variety....you'll probably use every shot in your arsenal on this course. Recent renovations to the creek (which is in play on 6-7 holes) required the removal of several trees, which makes a few holes much easier than before...but still very very fun.
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby daevidcardiac » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:47 am

superq wrote:2. Souix Passage - St. Louis, Mo
5. Endicott - St. Louis, MO

right on, heres my top 5...all in st louis

1. souix passage(1994): long, best hills, covers lots of land, i play the best here

2. endicott(1996): super tech, best practice course, tree city, i play the most here

3. jefferson barracks(1994): nice hills and basket placement, gateway store

4. white birch(1979): old school, fun pin placement and gimmick shots, short

5. creve coeur(1989): long and flat, very open, good for your arm, kinda boring

i would really like to try waterworks and i always wanted to play akitas run, but i heard they closed it down.
yuk
daevidcardiac
Noob

Postby dflaschiii » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:28 pm

1) Sugar Bottom -- North Liberty, IA, beautiful course, tops the list cause I learned to throw here

2) Idlewild -- south of Cinci in KY, someone mentioned this course before, it blew my mind. The first I ever played where a par 5 played like a par 5.

3) Seven Oaks -- Nashville, TN

4) Forked Run -- southeast OH, bordering WV, one of the coolest holes ever on top of a dam

5) Sharp Springs -- Smyrna, TN

6) Turkey Creek -- Iowa City, IA
dflaschiii
Tree Magnet

Postby presidio hills » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:45 am

i need to play some courses other than on the west coast... but disc golf did start in california so i think there's plenty of good ones here.

1. de la veaga (santa cruz, CA)
2. stafford lake (novato, CA)
3. safari east (san francisco, only once a year though)
4. bijou (lake tahoe, CA)
5. highland springs (lakeport, CA) ("second course ever built" which i've heard about more than 1 course... but steady ed designed it, and it's sweet.)
6. the oaks course (monteray, CA) (weebl's home... lucky)
7. dexter lake (eugene, OR)
8. skyland wilderness park (napa, CA)

i do need to play out a bunch more... i know a pro at dexter who's "eh, it's cool" about it, but he's been playing 20 years and probably seen hundreds of courses.
i run on lazer beans
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

PreviousNext

Return to Courses