So what are your top 10 courses?

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby calvarycoffee » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:39 am

mothrows wrote:1. Waterworks Park-Kansas City, MO
2. Frisco (the view)-Frisco, CO
3. Rolling Hills-Lamoni, IA
4. Frontier Park, Hays, KS
5. Chautauqua Park, Beatrice, NE

Waterworks gets my #1 vote because it has a little bit of everything. Frisco is beautiful and the ski lift chairs on each tee pad are very unique. Each time I get to play a new course it's an adventure and I look forward to playing many more!

yay for iowa!
Do not resist chances. . . and there will be one less thing you cannot do -ACG
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

Postby calvarycoffee » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:43 am

Renaissance Park - Charlotte, NC

this has got to be the hardest course ever!

I love the 18th though, parked 3rd shot under basket
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

Postby mothrows » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:36 am

I played Pickard park and Walnut Ridge in Iowa yesterday and I'd have to say they probably belong on my top five. Great courses.
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

Postby calvarycoffee » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:44 pm

there is a tourney sept 17th at prickard. (non santioned)

i am trying to make arrangements to go play. maybe i'll see you there?

pm me if you want a registration form or flyer. that goes for anyone, too.

dave
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

Postby mothrows » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:20 am

I'd love to play it but, I'm moving back to KS this weekend. Thanks for the offer though. Enjoy hole #5, it has got to be one of the top holes I've ever played.
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:55 pm

I'm in Texas, so I guess I'm not qualified to vote. Also, I tend to stay in south Texas. In fact, I sometimes don't make it past Live Oak in San Antone even when I'm headed for Austin.

Guess I'm not a Highwayman anymore.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Rooster » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:59 pm

Rooster wrote:1. Cass Benton - Northville MI
2. Stony Creek - Shelby MI
3. Gale Vaugh Memorial Course - Shelby MI
4. Devils Ridge - Oxford MI
5. Hudson Mills - Monster - Ann Arbor MI
6. Hudson Mills Original - Ann Arbor MI
7. The Tunnel - Milford MI
8. Addison Oaks - Romeo MI
9. Fire Fighters - Troy MI
10. Starr Jaycee - Royal Oak MI

move everything down 1 spot as i just played the best course ever this week. The Toboggan at Kensington Metropark in Milford MI. Most challenging course ever but also the best. tons of elevation change and lots of control shots. this course is amazing if you can get there to play it, do.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby BHW » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:33 pm

I haven't even played 10 courses yet. Most days I'm on a time restraint, and have to choose one of the 2 here in Raleigh....neither is spectacular.

1) Zebulon Park- Zebulon NC: Fairly long, nicely maintained, challenging but fair. This is my favorite course. Only a handful of really tightly wooded holes. The open holes are rather long, for this area. About the only local course with more than one hole where you can really let it fly. All tee-pads are poured concrete, and very large. I only recently started playing there though. I really need to get out more.

2) Valley Springs- Durham, NC: Somewhat short, well laid out, well maintained and challenging. It gets tougher on the back 9. I've never seen a crowd out there. Good elevation changes, lots of trees, the entire course is wooded.

3) Cedar Hills- Raleigh, NC: Moderate length, a lot of crappy tee-pads, and tons of garbage and litter. If you've ever played either Raleigh course, you might be familiar with the tee pads, they are concrete blocks used in cities, to surround trees on the sidewalk. Not quite square, and really small. So you get 3 concrete blocks lined up, with huge gaps, different heights, etc. You can easily mess up your knees/ankles on these horrible and small tee pads. It's no wonder many of them have huge worn down dirt spots beside them. This is a city park in town, and it shows. People from nearby neighborhoods walk their dogs here, so...crap everywhere. Kids from same neighborhood come here to "party", beer cans and condoms all over the place. Course could be better layed out to better utilize the terrain. I play this one more simply because it's closest to my house. This course can be demoralizing for beginner players...LOTS of places to lose discs, many tight tee shots through trees.

4) Buckhorn, Harris Lake- Holly Springs, NC: Very nice looking course in a county park, way out in the boonies...about 10 miles from civilization. This is good, keeps the drunk college kids away...and cuts down on litter. This is a tough course to play until you've learned it, most tee shots are blind, making it difficult unless you have a course map. Nice scenerey of the lake, and some challenging water holes. Tee pads are poured concrete. Bring bug spray, and a stick to whack snakes! Don't forget your swim trunks if you want your discs back!

5) Kentwood- Raleigh, NC: Made my top 5 by default: I've only played one other course, and it was so long ago I vaguely remember any details. So, Kentwood makes the top (and only) 5 list. Very short course, pretty much nothing more than a "pitch & putt", equivalent to a par 3 course in ball golf. This should be a par 36 course for all but the newest players. It's right by a large college campus. So it gets tons of traffic, and tons of litter. There are not enough trash cans on the course, and therefore it looks like a landfill most days. This place uses those smae awful tee pads as Cedar Hills...totally dangerous, and useless. About half of the course is covered in rocks and gravel. Good for breaking in new discs, rough on already broken in discs. Several wide open holes, and a handful of tightly wooded holes. There's really only one hole on this course worthy of a par 3, hole #14...everything else is par 2 quality. I play here when I'm in the neighborhood, and have 45 minutes to spare. On weekends, it's like waiting in line for your favorite amusement park ride. I've seen crowds waiting on all 18 tees on the weekend. This course is not worth the trouble at those times. Really only good for breaking in midrange and drivers, or practicing your putts. Don't drive here from more than 20 minutes away...there's much better to be had.
BHW
Tree Magnet

Postby krusen » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:24 am

I went on a trip to Ames/Des Moines this weekend. Talk about some sweet courses. I only got a chance to play 3 of them (Ewing, Grandview, and Carrol Marty), but they were great. I hope to get back there next year. I also played Todd park in Austin, MN on the way back. They all made my top 5.

1. Ewing Park – Des Moines, IA
2. North Valley, St. Paul, MN
3. Todd Park – Austin, MN
4. Grandview – Des Moines, IA
5. Carrol Marty – Ames, IA
6. Kaposia – St. Paul, MN
7. Edora Park – Fort Collins, CO
8. Hyland SSA – Eden Prairie, MN
9. Bryant Lake – Eden Prarie, MN
10. Acorn – Roseville, MN

Honorable mention
– Oak Grove – Fargo, ND
– Oakwood – Cottage Grove, MN

It’s really hard to rate these fairly without putting a lot of effort into it. They are all great courses. Ask me again in ten years, and I’ll have a more concrete answer.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:54 am

I notice not many Texas courses; am I missing out by being in Texas? Or rather is it worth it for me to plan some trips to these out of state courses.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby krusen » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:09 pm

TexasOutlaw wrote:I notice not many Texas courses; am I missing out by being in Texas? Or rather is it worth it for me to plan some trips to these out of state courses.

Looks to me like everyone is picking courses that are close to them, and not many of us have travelled very far to play disc golf.

I believe Texas still has the largest number of courses of any state, so there's gotta be a lot of good ones too. You might have to do some searching.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:56 pm

krusen wrote:
TexasOutlaw wrote:I notice not many Texas courses; am I missing out by being in Texas? Or rather is it worth it for me to plan some trips to these out of state courses.

Looks to me like everyone is picking courses that are close to them, and not many of us have travelled very far to play disc golf.

I believe Texas still has the largest number of courses of any state, so there's gotta be a lot of good ones too. You might have to do some searching.

My gf and I are on a quest to eventually play all the courses in Texas and then branch out to other states. We love to make trips out of it. As you can see, it's taking us a while to finish just the Texas courses.

I'm hoping to get up to the Dallas area, not sure how tough it will be to try to travel with frisbees. I know some trouble has been experienced by some.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Eric O » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:31 pm

I can't think of a single reason why travelling with plastic discs would be an issue... ???
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby RustyP » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:27 pm

TexasOutlaw wrote:
krusen wrote:

My gf and I are on a quest to eventually play all the courses in Texas and then branch out to other states. We love to make trips out of it. As you can see, it's taking us a while to finish just the Texas courses.

I'm hoping to get up to the Dallas area, not sure how tough it will be to try to travel with frisbees. I know some trouble has been experienced by some.

You should definitely come to Dallas. We've got around 20 courses within an hour (give or take a few) of downtown. Most of my favorites are on the south side: Lester Lorch in Cedar Hill, Crawford Park in SE Dallas, Veterans in Arlington, and Zboaz in Ft. Worth.

Lester Lorch is probably the most fun and challenging overall - 2 beautiful, well-cared-for courses set on a secluded natural preserve. One course is tight and technical with elevation - cut through cedar woods; the other is longer and generally more open, but there are still plenty of trees to keep you on your toes - some water in play. This is the one to play when you're in D-town.
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:00 am

Eric O wrote:I can't think of a single reason why travelling with plastic discs would be an issue... ???

They show up as metal coils on the x-ray bud. I also can't take my good lighters, cigar cutters, or pipe tampers on flights.

I've lost over 200 bucks in these, not knowing that I couldnt travel with them and not having anywhere to stash them.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Courses