So what are your top 10 courses?

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby calvarycoffee » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:41 pm

i took discs on a plane as a carry on. they rubber gloved my lightning bag. that was in 2002 though. no problems then
Do not resist chances. . . and there will be one less thing you cannot do -ACG
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

Postby kvanorsdel » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:02 pm

I carried my bag on in January and had no problem at all. With my quads on the bag it actually worked as a great carry on :D
kvanorsdel
Fairway Surgeon

Top 10 Courses

Postby Frank Sacco » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:15 pm

1. Tinicum Park, Erwinna PA
2. Warwick Towne Park, Warwick NY
3. Harry Dunham Park, Liberty Corner NJ
4. FDR Park, Yorktown Heights, NY
5. Hickory Run State Park, Lake Harmony PA
6. Jordan Creek Park, Allentown PA
7. Prompton Dam, Honesdale PA
8. South Mountain Park, Bethlehem PA
9. Fairfield University, Fairfield, CT
10. Rutger's College, New Brunswick, NJ
Frank Sacco
Noob

Postby roadkill » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:53 am

You live in Bergen County and Campgaw is not on your list?

I haven't played it yet but I thought Campgaw was supposed to be a premier course.
Also if you haven't yet I suggest a trip to Hanover Pa to play the newly expanded Codorus St Pk (54 holes) there's a pdga event coming up Oct. 21st.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Frank Sacco » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:59 am

Roadkill,

Thanks for the recommendation on Codorus State Park in Hanover, PA. I definitely will check it out some day!

I have atttempted to play Campgaw several times and never finish the course! Only because you're hiking straight up the side of a ski slope, then down, back up and then down again. It's loaded with rocks & trees and tall grass loaded with ticks. The down hill shots are intimidating & daunting. I recommend playing with someone. If you play alone, you will definitely lose discs or get hurt and left for dead. LOL

Sorry to be so brutally honest with my negative review. I don't want to take away from the heroic efforts of those involved in the building of the course. The only reason I don't like playing Campgaw is because I enjoy courses that are layed out more like a ball golf course such as Tinicum in Eastern PA. Whacking trees, sloshing through mud and twisting my ankles on rocks is not my idea of fun disc golf. I'm sure many woodsy mountain course enthusiasts will just LOVE Campgaw, especially the mighty downhill crushes. Check it out for yourself and please let me know what you think. Thanks for your reply!

Frank Sacco
Frank Sacco
Noob

Postby garublador » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:36 am

I haven't played too many couses and I know there are a couple near by that will probably end up in my top 10 after I play them, but here goes (in no particluar order):

Grandview Park - DSM, IA
Walnut Ridge - Johnston, IA
Ewing Park - DSM, IA
Carrol Marty - Ames, IA
Stable Run - Ames, IA
Kaposia - South St. Paul. MN
Hyland SSA - Bloomington, MN
Acorn Park - Roseville, MN
Lions Park - Shakopee, MN
Basset Creek - Crystal, MN
Last edited by garublador on Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby roadkill » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:47 am

Frank Sacco wrote:I enjoy courses that are layed out more like a ball golf

Little Lehigh Parkway in Allentown, Pa is a very scenic and manicured course. It was used for the finals of the 2005 Pro Worlds. If you like ball golf type courses this about as ball-golflike as disc golf gets.

There's only two drawbacks to the course: It gets shutdown part of the year (I think it's Nov thru Mar. or something like that) and there are a couple long walks between holes ( 13 to 14 and 16 to 17). But it is gorgeous and challenging. And on nice days there are tons of beautiful young women jogging through the park.........if you like that sort of thing........I know I don't mind it.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Postby mothrows » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:55 am

[quote="garublador"]I haven't played too many couses and I know there are a couple near by that will probably end up in my top 10 after I play them, but here goes (in not particluar order):

Grandview Park - DSM, IA
Walnut Ridge - Johnston, IA
Ewing Park - DSM, IA

Man, I just moved from NW MO to central KS and I'd already love to go back and hit those courses again. If you get a chance Pickard park it is fantastic to play and not too far from DSM, you also should hit the Lamoni courses. They're a little farther away but seriously worth the trip!
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

Postby garublador » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:01 am

I live in Des Moines now so getting to Pickard won't be a problem. I know I should check it out but just haven't had the chance yet.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby twincitiesdg » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:40 am

Here we go.
1.Tower Ridge, Eau Claire, Wisconsin-very tight and carved out of the woods, good mix of long and short holes, accuracy is definetly at a premium here.
2. Granite Ridge, Highbridge Hills, Highbridge, Wisconsin-very tight, crazy wooded, very long, amazing views.
3. Highbridge Gold, Highbridge, Wisconsin- crazy long, CRAZY!, heavily wooded, great views, all around challenge.
4. Kaposia, South St. Paul, Minnesota-wooded accuracy course, a twin cities staple.
5. Oakwood, Cottage Grove, Minnesota-open and wooded, a good line course
6. North Valley, Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota-elevation changes, water, woods, everything you could want.
7. Acorn Park, Roseville, Minnesota- not too long but good variety of tight and open holes, busiest course in the twin cities.
8. Basset Creek-risk/reward, Crystal Minnesota- usually a 9 hole, this tourney layout is 18 and vicious, like the name sugggests-risk vs. reward.
9. Lakewood Hills, White Bear Lake, Minnesota- 14 holes, mostly open, always windy, good variety, good fun.
10. Highland Park, St Paul, Minnesota- was 14 but got cut to a nine hole beginer friendly course, its where I got started and you can play it in 20 minutes round trip.
twincitiesdg
Noob

Postby roadkill » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:18 pm

twincitiesdg wrote:Here we go.

2. Granite Ridge, Highbridge Hills, Highbridge, Wisconsin-very tight, crazy wooded, very long, amazing views.
3. Highbridge Gold, Highbridge, Wisconsin- crazy long, CRAZY!, heavily wooded, great views, all around challenge.

You must be accustomed to playing very open courses.

I've played played Granite Ridge, Highbridge Gold as well as Bluberry hill. I wouldn't use "very tight" "heavily wooded" or "crazy wooded" to describe these courses at all.
Each course had a couple tight holes but I thought they were fairly open for the most part. (Granite Ridge was especially open with only two tight holes and the rest pretty wide open) I'd classify them as "open with danger" meaning you had ample fairway to work with but staying on the fairway was a high priority since the rough was rather unforgiving and punitive. I did like the highbridge courses and I'm going to make every effort to go to the 2007 worlds there but compared to a lot of courses I play on the east coast these are pretty open.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Good courses

Postby twmccoy » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:16 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:I still havent gotten to play any courses outside of colorado (I still havent played all the courses I would like to. but my top 5 colorado courses would be

1. Copper (have not yet played aspen)
2. Frisco (another good mountian course, much less elevation change)
3. Pacos Gultch (my new home course 15 minutes away from my denver house)
4. Badlands (alot of elevation change for a in city course, w/ the blair witch holes making the course 27 theres some tight stuff too)
5. Johnny Roberts (sure its just a putt and mid coruse, but it still challenges me, I can throw -11 (my record there) one round than even the next. )

Ever played the Steamboat course? The last hole is at least 500' straight down a wide ski slope. I found a DX valk there and chucked it down there and it finished about 15' from the hole. Probably the most majestic flight I've ever seen a disc take. Horrible weeds on the sides though.

BTW, here are my faves (I haven't played very many). These are all in CO.

1) Lighthouse- Not a great course, but I love the wide open long shots.
2) Badlands- Okay course, hole 12 from the pro tee is worth the drive.
3) Birds Nest- Very decent course with lots of variation of shots.
4) Expo- Nice short game tuneup, errant shots will be eaten by lakes.
5) Westminster- Nice course, wish I got out that way more.
6) Edora Park, Ft Collins- Very nice course, too crowded. Some legitimately hard holes on this one.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby bigboi76 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:13 am

I've been playing for quite awhile, but very sporatically during the time I've played. About the last 2 years, I've been playing about once a week. My favorites are:

1. Hornet's Nest Park - Charlotte, NC - Not too hard, not too easy. Nice mix of wide open long holes and shorter, more precise ones. It was my home course for 3 years.
2. Earl Brewer Park (PRE realignment) - Grand Rapids, MI - This was the very first course I ever played when I was 6 years old. It's a fun quiet course. Too bad that turned 18 long holes in 42 short sucky holes.
3. Renaissance Park - Charlotte, NC - Fun and hard. More hard than fun though.
4. Chippewa Banks - Midland, MI - Fun course I played during college. Not all that hard, but pretty and some holes are just a pain.
5. Winthrop University - Rock Hill, SC - 1,000 ft. hole. All I have to say.
6. Kimball Pines - Battle Creek, MI - It's fun. Too narrow and only 2 holes to just open up on. Lots of precise throwing.

Those are the only courses I've ever played so I can't really add much more.
bigboi76
Noob

Postby twincitiesdg » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:12 pm

Roadkill, I accidentally posted granite ridge when I meant to post Blueberry Hill, which is very tight. You are right, Gold is not a very tight course, not sure what I was thinking there, niether is granite. I do play some fairly open courses, but Tower Ridge, Kaposia, and Oakwood are pretty tight. Check out playdg.com for some very nice virtual tours and let me know what you think.
twincitiesdg
Noob

Postby roadkill » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:46 pm

I really liked Bluberry Hill. I had a smokin round going where I was three under with 4 holes to play (everything was in the long) then screwed it up royally and finished even.

I still thought BH was semi open but placement was very crucial because off the fairway was certain death on many holes. The key to scoring well there is to know where the landing zones are and be disciplined in not going for more than a well thought out par on the tough holes. (A 250' approach from the fairway is much easier than 100' approach from the rough)

But what a beautiful and great course to play. The view from BH 18's green is amazing.

I'll have to check out the link. I heard some good things about Kaposia from those who went to the 01 worlds.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Courses