So what are your top 10 courses?

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby the_lung » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:42 pm

bigs348 wrote:Elk Creek DGC - Appomattox, VA

Wow, I've never even heard of this course. And you've rated it better than Moraine, which is one of my top five out of 150+ courses nationwide over the last decade. So it must be pretty darned good!

I've been meaning to get to John Biscoe's Hawk Hollow private course for years now, and it's also been about 7 years since I've been to The Grange, so I think that a southern Virginia trip might be in my future. 8)
the_lung
Noob

Postby bigs348 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:24 pm

Definitely try and get down there, Jeff. As for my ranking? I've only played Moraine once, and I played Elk Creek almost every day for months. If I had more opportunity to play Moraine it might be higher for me, but there's a little bit of the home court bias in anyone's favorite anything.

Hawk Hollow is a great course. Much of it is very hilly and windy like Brandywine, but there's some wooded holes as well. Very scenic and pretty challenging.

Elk Creek became my home course for about 6 months when I was still living down in southeast VA (I started playing down there on a pitch and putt that was designed by a non-golfer, and I was so happy when a new course was put in). It was fairly new then, and wasn't getting much play, but they were working on it. The signage was poor, and it was a little difficult to find your way around if you hadn't been there before. It's been close to a year for me though, so I would hope/assume it's gotten better.

18 holes, with three tees on every hole (red, white, and blue). Almost all wooded, only playing out into a field on two or three holes. Lots of elevation, a creek running through 5 or 6 holes, and very beautiful. Requires accuracy and placement -- playing most of the course with a Roc will mostly keep you out of trouble. I would usually go out and play a round of whites and a round of blues, but I started gravitating to all blues if I had the time. Definitely challenging, with many two shot holes. Several technical par 4s and two holes that I think would be borderline par 5s. My best rounds from the blues were like 62-64ish. It's very Tylerish (think mostly C pins, with a few Bs), but with some more elevation.

I do miss it. I heard from a friend down there just recently that he's thinking of running a tournament there in the fall, so I'm definitely heading down for that if it pans out.

The course is about an hour and 45 minutes, maybe 2 hours from Hawk Hollow. I think a little farther from the Grange. Appomattox is about a half an hour outside of Lynchburg, where I went to school.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby the_lung » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:39 pm

Here’s my top overall picks for courses I’ve played, in no particular order. There’s a front nine of the best courses I’ve played, and the back nine comprised of my other favorites.

Obligatory disc-claimer: For the record, I've been playing disc golf for more than ten years, and play in the Open division in tournaments. I personally prefer longer holes and courses that feature pro par 4 and pro par 5 holes. I am sick of pitch-and-putt courses!

Front Nine:
  • The Woodshed, Paw Paw, WV (2 courses)
  • Warwick Town Park, Warwick, NY (2 courses)
  • Winthrop University, Rock Hill, SC
  • Moraine State Park, Portersville, PA
  • Nockamixon State Park, Quakertown, PA
  • Pier Park, Portland, OR
  • Borderland State Park, Easton, MA
  • Circle R Ranch, Wimberely/Blanco, TX (2 courses)
  • Maple Hill, Leicester, MA

Back Nine:
  • Wickham Park, Manchester, CT
  • Campgaw Reservation, Mahwah, NJ
  • Deer Lakes Park, Pittsburgh, PA
  • Knob Hill, Warrendale, PA
  • Little Lehigh Parkway, Allentown, PA
  • Delaveaga Park, Santa Cruz, CA
  • Patapsco Valley State Park - Marriottsville, MD
  • Trap Pond State Park, Laurel, DE
  • Sea Tac Park, Sea Tac, WA
the_lung
Noob

top ten

Postby jist313 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:57 am

I just moved to NJ from TN where I started playing. Here's my top ten.

1. Tyler State Park PA (love the long B's and C's, Tight course, difficult)
2. Nockimixon PA (Amazingly beautiful and seriously difficult)
3. Sinks, Chattanooga TN (great new course that got me hooked, Wooded)
4. Endicott STL (good layout, some nasty holes, think your doing fine then crash)
5. Sedgley Woods PHL (some very unique holes, watch out for flying discs)
6. Jefferson Barracks STL (good layout, fun to play)
7. Tinicum Park PA (Long mostly open, windy)
8. Rutgers NJ (Different course in each layout, great for practicing short game)
9. Sioux Passage STL (Open and long)
10. White Birch STL (Short course with plenty of trouble)

I have yet to play and hope to play soon, just need time!
Warwick, NY (I'm sure I will love it),
Idle Wild, Cincinnati (I am there often but never get to play)
Brandywine DE
Seneca MD
Paw Paw WV
Allentown PA

I prefer long, tight wooded courses that favor accuracy, like Tyler long pins or Nockimixon. I like tough courses that make you manage your game. Anybody recommend others courses in the area? Does anybody have plans for a good course in Central Jersey?
jist313
Noob

Re: top ten

Postby roadkill » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:54 pm

jist313 wrote: I prefer long, tight wooded courses that favor accuracy, like Tyler long pins or Nockimixon. I like tough courses that make you manage your game. Anybody recommend others courses in the area? Does anybody have plans for a good course in Central Jersey?

You'll have to make a point to visit Codorus St. Park in Hanover, Pa. There are 54 holes there. They are basicly divided up as two 18 hole courses and 2 nine hole courses. The nine "cross country" holes and the nine "X" holes are very wooded and most are pretty long. The course is very difficult but very fair. If you like challenging wooded holes where control and course management are key this is your kind of place. To my knowledge no one has ever shot under par for all 54 holes here, atleast not from the pro tees anyway. Mike Moser shot a smoking 3 under last year on a layout of part of the red course plus the nine crosscountry holes but followed it up with a 3 over on the blue/ x holes layout in the second round.

There are two courses in Pinchot St Park just south of the Harrisburg, PA area. One is pretty established (Boulder Woods) and the other is a super hard tightly wooded course currently under construction with around 6-7 playable holes but should be completed around June or July.

Not much in central Jersey other than Rutgers. Buzzy's Creek and Campgaw are in northern Jersey on the way to Warwick. Buzzy's is kind of short but kinda fun if you're passing by. Campgaw I haven't played yet, but I've heard it's really long and physically strenuous. I've also heard it's easy to lose discs there.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby the_lung » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:36 pm

jist313 wrote:I just moved to NJ from TN where I started playing. Here's my top ten.

4. Endicott STL (good layout, some nasty holes, think your doing fine then crash)
8. Rutgers NJ (Different course in each layout, great for practicing short game)

Brandywine DE
Seneca MD
Paw Paw WV
Allentown PA

I prefer long, tight wooded courses that favor accuracy, like Tyler long pins or Nockimixon. I like tough courses that make you manage your game. Anybody recommend others courses in the area? Does anybody have plans for a good course in Central Jersey?

Matt LaCourte is working on building a championship course in central Jersey - Mountain Park.

And while they served the public admirably for decades, courses like Sedgley Woods and Rutgers will surely disappear from your top ten list once you play courses like Paw Paw, Warwick, Seneca Creek, Brandywine, and Little Lehigh. In fact, I'd get out to play the first three ASAP. 8)
the_lung
Noob

Postby dgdave » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:12 pm

no particular order:
1. Blackhawk Tulsa,Ok
2. McClure Tulsa'ok
3. NE Lions Norman,ok
4. Burnsville Sprinfield,Mo
5. Swope KC, Mo
6. Waterworks KC, Mo
7. Haikey Creek tulsa,ok
8. Dolese OKC, Ok
9. Tom Watkins Springfield, Mo
10 Riverview Miami, ok
its the course where I learned how to play and I helped design the first time it got redisgned be for the pool expanded. Home sweet home
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby bigs348 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:22 pm

jist313 wrote:I just moved to NJ from TN where I started playing. Here's my top ten.

Brandywine DE
Seneca MD
Paw Paw WV
Allentown PA

Like the_lung said, there's an 18-hole Championship caliber course being put in up in the Bernardsville/Bridgewater area. It's in planning stages, but it looks to be pretty sweet.

I live in Princeton, too, and my home course is Tyler. It's only 35-40 minutes, and totally worth the ride, but I'm sure you've experienced that seeing as how it made #1 for you. Have you been out at all for league on Sunday mornings? How about the One and Done coming up on the 24th? All 27 holes, one disc only, it's one of my favorite tournies of the year.

As much as I love my home course, Warwick has to take my #1. Get up there as soon as you can, it's only about 1 hour 20 minutes maybe, just kinda hard to find. It's not as wooded as Tyler or Nock, but it requires both power and accuracy. There's a segment of shorter holes in the woods, but there's also some amazing open holes that still require you to be accurate. It's immaculately groomed up there, too.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

top ten

Postby jist313 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:10 pm

So many courses, I just need time. Tyler is my home course and my favorite. I haven't been able to play any tourney's yet but I am hoping to play the One and Done. Look me up next week. I'll be the new guy dropping all the putts. I missed the Yetter, Tyler doubles, and the Ice bowl all for various reasons. I can't play the Sunday league because I'm a Youth Pastor and needed at my church.
When is the Mountain Park supposed to be completed? We need a good Central Jersey course. Do you need help clearing? Cordorus sounds great. Just a little far. I really need to get to Warwick. I might go tomorrow. Is it buried in snow? I'm looking for people to play with, and show me around.
See ya out there.
Eric
jist313
Noob

Mercer county park?

Postby jist313 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:17 pm

Hey Biggs,
Do you know if anyone has tried to put in a course at Mercer County park? It's got plenty of room, open fields and woods that could be used. That is where I go for practice. Its seems like they try to do a lot for the community. Would be great if we can convince them.
jist313
Noob

Postby honkeytiger » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:34 pm

Luckily my wife loves disc golf about as much as I do, so I have had the priveledge of playing over 200 courses in 17 different states. Here is a list of my "top 10" in no particular order:

1. Seven Oaks, Nashville TN (Home sweet home)
2. Sharp Springs, Smyrna TN
3. University of Miami OH in Oxford, OH
4. Keriakes, Bowling Green KY
5. Redan Park, Atlanta GA
6. Richmond Hill, Asheville NC
7. Cloudland Canyon, GA
8. Renny Gold, Charlotte NC
9. Mt. Airy, Cincy OH
10.UAH, Huntsville AL
honkeytiger
Tree Magnet

top 11

Postby ziggy » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:05 pm

no order whatsoever

Keriakes - BG, KY
Redan - ATL, GA
Olmstead - Augusta, GA
Old 18 of Kaposia - St paul, MN
RMCC - Leadville, CO
J'Barracks - STL, MO
Token Creek, WI
Paw Paw, WV
B n B - New Brunswick, ME
Waterworks - KC, MO
Douglas - Springfield, IL
ziggy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Desafinado » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:01 pm

i haven't played any courses outside of california(and there are quite a few courses i haven't played here, either!), so i guess this list will be my california top ten, in order of my preference if i had a random free weekday to play DG all day:

1. Delaveaga, Santa Cruz
2. Stafford Lake, Novato
3. La Mirada Regional Park, La Mirada
4. Condon Park, Grass Valley
5. Skyline Wilderness Park, Napa
6. Emerald Isle, Oceanside
7. Low Gap Park, Ukiah
8. Morley Field, San Diego
9. Hanging Oaks, Penn Valley
10. El Dorado Park, Long Beach

On my 'i need to play there!' list for CA, in decreasing order of anticipation: The CSU Monterey Bay courses, the tahoe courses(okay, not necessarily CA, but only a 3 hr drive!), lake casitas, the redwood curtain, wrightwood, the mendocino courses.
Desafinado
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby Will » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:34 pm

I've never been out of state ( michigan ) but my top 10 so far

1. Gale Vaughn Memorial
2. Stony Creek
3. Addison Oaks
4. Kensington
5. Enchanted Forest
6. Seymour Lake
7. Firefighters
8. Raintree ( got my first and only ace there)

guess I only have 7.....I should travel more :-p
I finally figured out how to putt!! Then I forgot again...
Will
Tree Magnet

Postby baydgplayer » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:32 pm

It is really depressing that there is all of those great courses on the the east coast. I hope the west coast catches up. California in particular
:?
baydgplayer
Noob

PreviousNext

Return to Courses