Looking for a great course - Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisianna

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Looking for a great course - Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisianna

Postby RustyP » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:07 pm

My girlfriend and I are planning on taking advantage of the 3-day weekend to venture to some far-off courses. We're mainly interested in heading to Oklahoma or Arkansas - Southern OK and Southwest AR specifically...really just any place within 6-7 hours of Dallas, TX.

I think we're both tired of the typical flat TX landscape (with the exception of Hill Country), and we REALLY want to play some Ozark-type-landscape courses, with big hills and trees, but I dont think we can make a drive longer than 7 hours.

I looked on the PDGA directory and found a few in AR that sounds interesting: Horseshoe Canyon Ranch in Jasper, Northshore in Fayetteville, and Burns Park in North Little Rock - anyone play these? Would they be worth the drive from Dallas?

More than anything, we want to play some courses that are challenging and beautiful....elevation and big trees are also a big plus.

Any Suggestions???

Thanks in advance your help,
Rusty
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby Fritz » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:34 pm

http://www.pdga.com/course/courses_by_city.php?id=672

only one I see neart the border of AR.
If you can Go up to Tulsa, search the PDGA site for Blackhawk, it's the one they played at worlds I've heard nothing but greatness about those courses they played at Worlds this year.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Timko » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:44 am

Horseshoe Canyon, Jasper Arkansas. It's pretty extreme. Massive elevation changes, rocks the size of small houses. 8000-9000 ft; some 900 footers, as well as an uphill 800. There's also a smaller 18 set up. It's pay to play, but for $5 a day, you get 36 holes. More, if you can fit it into the day. This course is one not to miss if you get a chance.

Northshore in Fayetteville is pretty flat. It's a nice course, but nothing crazy special. Not for 7 hours of driving.

Burns Park has 2 courses. One is shorter, tighter, and more technical (a lot of rocs and putter shots). The 2nd is longer. Another nice course, but not really worth the drive.

I've also played Ben Geren on a recent trip back to Arkansas. Again, nothing that you probably haven't seen. Very flat, with some tunnel shots and some open shots.

The Alma disc golf course is supposed to be very nice, with some good cliffs and such. It's short, but I think it's got alternate tees. It may be worth a look, or perhaps a play on your way back to Dallas.

I know you've probably already taken your trip, but if you can make to to Horseshoe at any point, DO IT. It's worth a 7 hour drive easily.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby mysensesfailme10 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:39 am

my home course in west monroe actually is a nice course compaired to some of the ones ive played on. you can have two totally different rounds without leaving the park. the 21 hole low water course includes alot of techincal woods shots plus a few big drives. and the 18 hole high water course is fairly difficult too. alot of fun in the end.
mysensesfailme10
Noob

Postby sunspot » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:18 pm

I went to Jonesboro, Arkansas this past Thanksgiving to see my in-laws. I was hestitate to go play their course because of the memory that I had of it the first time I tried to go play-- a basket placed in the middl e of the woods, almost impossible to play.

However, when I went this last time I found that they did some renovation to the holes. The holes are surrounded by trees and now have fairways. Most of the holes are short under 300. There is one hole that's over 400. Precision is key. The tee pad uses pea-gravel. I found that to be comfortable and didn't notice any slipping when I was trying to drive.

It's a good course to learn how to play in a wooded area. It's difficult but not to the point where you want to push the nearest elderly person over out of disc rage.

I would recommed the course if you didn't mind traveling about 4-5 hours from Texarkana.

At least for now I'll have a good reason to go see the in-laws. :D
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby RustyP » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:30 pm

Jonesboro sounds like a cool course from what you said (I really like tight / technical course), but being that far away I wouldnt drive ther just to play. However, I'm planning a road trip through the southeast / eastern-midwest? for next spring and I might stop by there on my way up to St Louis (though my trip might end up being a straight shot up to Burlingon, KY to play Idlewild for a week straight :D )

I dont know if you'd be able to stop there next time you're in AR, but the 2 courses in Little Rock @ Burns Park are pretty fun. One course is mostly open & flat with moderate length and the other is shorter, much tighter and has a lot of elevation.

We also hope to have a wooded/hilly/technical course here in Texarkana within the next year or two.
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby readysetstab » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:15 pm

if you can make it as far as horseshoe canyon, please do. it's an amazing place. the disc golf course (the big one) was just redesigned in the past couple weeks, so i can't say what it's like anymore, but it's supposed to be just as long and awesome. there were some very memorable holes before, so hopefully the new ones use some of the same ideas. if you want ozarks, this is the place to go. no doubt about it.

they have cabins to rent too, so if it's a 3 day thing you should check that out. these are basically luxury cabins for fairly cheap.. around $100 i think. maybe just a little more. i'm pretty sure they have hot tubs. :wink:

if you would rather camp, they also have campgorunds and there are more campgrounds all around the area.
readysetstab
Fairway Surgeon

Postby sunspot » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:34 pm

I dont know if you'd be able to stop there next time you're in AR, but the 2 courses in Little Rock @ Burns Park are pretty fun. One course is mostly open & flat with moderate length and the other is shorter, much tighter and has a lot of elevation.

Ahhh Burns Park!! The memories. Burns Park was the course that I played when I was going to college in Conway. I haven't played it in a couple of years. I do have fond memories of playing horrible there. Afterall, it was during that time that I was starting to play disc golf.

I remember playing the technical side once with my brother and cousin. After a few holes we decided to play the easier holes. Yeah, we weren't good enough to play at that level.

Anyway, I need to get back up to central Arkansas and play at Burns for nostaligia.

We also hope to have a wooded/hilly/technical course here in Texarkana within the next year or two.

You mean it's not going to be like Grady T Park??!?! *sarcasm*
:D

I actually practice at Grady T because 1) no one ever goes out there 2) they have soccer fields for practice 3) it's closer to where I live.

By the way, where is this new course going to be located at?

if you can make it as far as horseshoe canyon, please do. it's an amazing place. the disc golf course (the big one) was just redesigned in the past couple weeks, so i can't say what it's like anymore, but it's supposed to be just as long and awesome. there were some very memorable holes before, so hopefully the new ones use some of the same ideas. if you want ozarks, this is the place to go. no doubt about it.

they have cabins to rent too, so if it's a 3 day thing you should check that out. these are basically luxury cabins for fairly cheap.. around $100 i think. maybe just a little more. i'm pretty sure they have hot tubs.

if you would rather camp, they also have campgorunds and there are more campgrounds all around the area.

I need to go play this course. You're not the only person that's said something about this course. I kind of like the idea of camping and getting to know the neighborhood bears. Sounds fun, but I'll probably end up staying in a cabin :lol:
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby dgdave » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:51 pm

Definately Horseshoe. If you can make it to Pawhuska, do.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby RustyP » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:05 pm

sunspot wrote:
By the way, where is this new course going to be located at?

Technically its in Dodridge, AR....Alex Smith Park. Lemme see, if you get on 549 (going towards Shreveport) then exit at 237 and go south, its about 10-12 minutes away...first entrance on the right after Pier 27. We had a little cookout there a few weeks ago and set up a temporary 12-hole course for the day. I posted some pics here: http://flickr.com/photos/19186413@N06...I think we're going to do it again sometime in the next few months.

Think exact opposite of Grady T :D
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby sunspot » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:19 pm

I like the layout of the new course. Looks good.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby RustyP » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:41 pm

Played a new course in Louisiana yesterday...Garland Scout Ranch in Stonewall, LA (~15 minutes from Shreveport). Anyone who has a chance should go check this place out...its a private Boy Scout ranch that John Houck designed an 18-holer on.

Scenic and serene, great variety of shots (mostly wooded, with 3-4 open holes to mix it up), plenty of elevation, flypads and nice tee signs...haven't played any other courses in the area like this one. There were several holes that reminded me of other Houck courses like Z-boaz and Circle R Meadows. #17 from the long box is one of the most visually interesting holes I've seen in a long time - starts off open for about 350' slightly downhill...then you hit a wall of VERY closely planted mature pine trees with 2 distinct 15' wide paths to the basket, which is probably 150' into the woods. Miss one of the paths and you pretty much have to dump back into the fairway and try again. From the tee you just see the silhouette of the basket tucked between rows and rows of tall pines....very sweet.

Private course, so you'll have to contact John Meeks at (318) 868-2774 to get the gate unlocked.
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby timg » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:30 pm

When you finish playing you should write up a course review on DGCR :D
timg
Tree Magnet

Return to Courses