Good Course in Western Mass or New Hampshire?

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Good Course in Western Mass or New Hampshire?

Postby JHern » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:09 pm

I'm going to be road tripping up from Western Massachusetts to Mount Washington in New Hampshire in a couple months, and I'm looking into making a few strategic disc golf course stops. If anybody knows of some great courses in the area, that they could recommend, I'd be very appreciative.

I'm looking for the best courses, and I would be willing to go out of my way to play any "must see" courses.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Re: Good Course in Western Mass or New Hampshire?

Postby Billym » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:25 pm

Bretton Woods and Wildcat have courses.
I played this one last year. It was a fun tight wooded course with some open holes to balance. It also looked like it had a developed locals league.

http://www.woodsatbeautyhill.com/

also use discgolfcoursereview.com it is a useful sight.
Destroyer,Sidewinder,Firebird,Eagles,Leopard, Roc, Mako, S Wizard.

Sometimes I wonder why that Frisbee is getting bigger then it hits me.
Billym
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Kenja » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:33 pm

JHern, is your base going to be in MA or NH?
New Hampshire is a bit of a DG desert. There's 0 public courses but I've heard only good things about some the pay courses (Beauty Hill, Terrence Pines).

If you're based in western MA...
Detour a couple hours to Worcester and go play Maple Hill. The Pyramid's pro shop (AKA Marshall Street) is something special also (as is the Pyramid's course, natch).

Buffumville Dam is another good course with 27 holes.

If you're willing to trek across state (maybe 2-3 hours from springfield), Borderland State Park in Easton MA is (IMHO) the best course in New England. 18 holes (two tees & two baskets each hole) that wind around and near a beautiful 19th century mansion. Yes, that means FOUR layouts (not sure if anyone's ever played all 4 in one day? I wouldn't recommend that :lol: )

A few hours south would get you to Wickham Park in Hartford CT. The reviews speak for themselves.

Another epic course is North Calais, VT. However, it is open only two weeks a year (early august) and only to players signed up for the VT states.

I should mention that MH & Pyramids are both $5 a day.

Check out NEFA.com for more info
Kenja
Noob

Postby JHern » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:58 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

Basically, I'm attending a meeting in South Hadley (near Springfield) Mass for a week. Then a day for driving up to Mount Washington Resort where I'll be at another meeting for a few days. I can probably escape a couple of afternoons while based down in South Hadley. Then I can play some course(s) on the way up to NH. Then there is a pay course at Mount Washington that I'll try out at the end of the second meeting (sounds iffy, but heck, I'm staying there!). Then I'll be driving back to Boston, maybe go through Portland Maine on the way.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
JHern

Postby Kenja » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:50 am

If you're looking for courses within an hour of Hadley, there's North Conway and Northhampton

Wickham, MH and Pyramids would all be 1 - 1.5 hours away. Borderland is the closest course to Boston

All the courses in Maine are pay2play. I've heard outstanding reviews for Sabattus.

Everything is listed here:
http://www.nefa.com/Content/Courses.asp

Enjoy!
Kenja
Noob

Postby DaPats » Sat May 09, 2009 11:35 am

I have played a bunch of these courses. Here is your best bet.
Wickham Park in CT is a must play course. Probably 45 min from where you are staying. Maple Hill is also about 45 min and a must play course. Pyramids is 2 min drive from maple hill(same road). If you need plastic, thats where marshall st. is. Northhampton is fun. Played it a bunch of times but the grass might be really long then. can give you an update then if you want on Northhampton. I gots plenty of love for that course. 2 aces in 24 holes we played that day. Buff should be close to 45 min also. 27 holes of fun times. hole 16 is a new england signature. Borderlands is out of your way but is a top 5 course. Sabatus maine is a must play. never been but here it is a hidden gem of new england. probably top 5 form what i hear. Amesbury and Pye Brook are on your way back from maine. Both real close to the highway if you need some more DG before you get to boston. Both fun course. I like amesbury better. i can go on and on. If you have any questions about courses let me know.
Wizard-Glow Avair-Roc-Cyclone-T-Bird-Wraith
DaPats
Tree Magnet

Postby JHern » Sat May 09, 2009 2:04 pm

Thanks a bunch BillyM, Kenja, and DaPats.

I'll definitely give some feedback on where I go. I won't be there until late June. My wife and I decided that we can indeed travel a bit more following our meetings, and we'll have a rental car (almost though about going up to Montreal for an over-nighter...she has never been).
Japan bag...
JHern

Postby MR. WICK » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:23 pm

You need to play Crane Hill in Wilbraham if you are in that area. Best course in Western Mass IMO
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby MR. WICK » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:24 pm

Oh yeah Play Wick in CT on your way. Hit me with a pm and I'll show you the shiznit. Wick is a "must see" especially with all the new changes we just installed. Freekin awesome.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Return to Courses