I envy all those in western PA.

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: I envy all those in western PA.

Postby bcsst26 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:14 am

roadkill wrote:
roman wrote:! I've never played so many holes where I was HAPPY to get a 5 on after putting out. Here's the courses we hit up, and I recommend playing pretty much all of them.

PA
1. Moraine State Park (both blue and gold tees)
2. Knob Hill park (long tees)
3. Deer Lakes Park (shorts and longs)
4. Scheney Park (white tees)

WV
1. Woodshed
2. Whippin' Post

I can't say enough good things about these courses. There are definitely some memorable holes where after putting out you take your 4, 5 or 6 and say "wow, that was a cool hole".

All of these courses are challenging and will really demand you step up your mental game and course management skills. Personally The Woodshed is my favorite followed closely by The Whipping Post. Deer Lakes and Knob Hill are pretty decent. I'm playing Moraine for the first time this weekend at the PFDO.

I feel very fortunate living in Southcentral PA as there are many amazing courses within a few hours of me. Now that I travel all over the country and get to play in other regions I realized I've been spoiled. There are many great courses in PA,MD and DE.
Often I'll play a course outside my region that's highly regarded and it amounts to an average course in the Mid-Atlantic. Not trying to be a snob, I just know the course designers from this region have been working hard for many years making courses with true par 4s and par 5s that seem to be largely absent elsewhere.

Good luck this weekend. Let me know what you think of Moraine. I am heading out of town this weekend so won't be around for the PFDO.
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby uNicedmeMan » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:13 am

Moraine is TIGHT!
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby roadkill » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:50 pm

I've got to say after playing Moraine this past weekend I was a little disappointed.

It was pretty and offered a good challenge but after all the hype I was expecting it to make it in my top 5 courses. I'd rank it about 15th among the courses I've played.

Paw Paw courses are still king. After those two It's hard to rank but among my favorites are: Rockburn Branch (MD) Trappe State PK (DE) Prompton (PA) Little Lehigh Parkway (PA) Bluberry Hill (WI) Whispering Falls (PA) Killens Pond (DE) Lums Pond (DE) Warwick (NY) Knob Hill (PA) Lemon Lake Blue (IN) Codorus (PA)
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby uNicedmeMan » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:56 am

roadkill wrote:I've got to say after playing Moraine this past weekend I was a little disappointed.

It was pretty and offered a good challenge but after all the hype I was expecting it to make it in my top 5 courses. I'd rank it about 15th among the courses I've played.

Paw Paw courses are still king. After those two It's hard to rank but among my favorites are: Rockburn Branch (MD) Trappe State PK (DE) Prompton (PA) Little Lehigh Parkway (PA) Bluberry Hill (WI) Whispering Falls (PA) Killens Pond (DE) Lums Pond (DE) Warwick (NY) Knob Hill (PA) Lemon Lake Blue (IN) Codorus (PA)

Dude.
Warwick may be my favorite course so I give you that but Rockburn and Codorus? I'm even partial because along with druid those are my top 3 most played courses; I think Moraine is a step above for sure. I also heard from everyone in the Pittsburgh area that Moraine and Deer Lakes > Knob.

But hey different strokes for different folks. I'd be interested to see what you think Rockburn and Codorus have that Moraine doesn't (aside from 36 more holes at the cod :D )
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby roman » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:28 am

roadkill wrote:I've got to say after playing Moraine this past weekend I was a little disappointed.

That's funny, I think Moraine is way better than Knob Hill or Lemon Lake Blue. Especially Lemon Lake Blue. Really? What do you like about that course? I'd play Red or Silver before I play blue.
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby bcsst26 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:49 am

Yeah I have Deer Lakes and Moraine both ranked above Knob. It is nice to have three courses so close together though that offer different plays for different people. I have heard rumblings that Moraine might be getting another 18 in the future so we will see what that does for the area.
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby roadkill » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:34 pm

uNicedmeMan wrote:

Dude.
Warwick may be my favorite course so I give you that but Rockburn and Codorus? I'm even partial because along with druid those are my top 3 most played courses; I think Moraine is a step above for sure. I also heard from everyone in the Pittsburgh area that Moraine and Deer Lakes > Knob.

But hey different strokes for different folks. I'd be interested to see what you think Rockburn and Codorus have that Moraine doesn't (aside from 36 more holes at the cod :D )

My big criticism of Moraine was there were several holes that I thought could've been designed better. Like the 1000' hole that really didn't permit air shots. It was roller (hope I miss the trees), roller (hope I miss the trees), roller(hope I miss the trees), upshot, putt. There were a couple of nice holes but there were several holes that were just kinda blah. Not a bad course just didn't live up to my elevated expectations due to all the hype I had heard and read.

Rockburn, I like because of the hole variety and for the many scoring oppurtunities. You can score twos on holes that others will take 4s and 5s. There is elevation changes, open holes, wooded holes just lots of different skills needed to shoot well.
Codorus while I don't like the blue course as much, the red course is beautiful and offers spectacular views of Lake Marburg and the marina. The X-holes are pretty nice for honing your finesse game. Even some of the crosscountry holes are lots of fun and challenging.

But as you said everyone has different criteria of what they like or dislike in a course.

Roman,
Yea, I'll concede Lemon Lake blue prolly doesn't belong in a best of list, I only played there once and threw it in there to be charitable towards the hoosiers. :roll:
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Postby roman » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:51 pm

Heh heh, I love that hole at Moraine. I had a look at a 3 on it after two well placed rollers (I didn't get the 3 though). When I played it this past April I still couldn't throw rollers accurately, so I just threw straight low shots with my Valkyrie through the alley on the right. From what I hear Barry Schultz threw two huge anhyzer stalls over the trees when he played it a year or two ago. I'm curious what the pros did at PFDO this weekend. I wish I was there!

I guess how much enjoyment you get out of these courses depends on how accurately and how far can you throw. Moraine requires accuracy, but it also requires pretty good distance from the gold tees if you want to get the lower score. I'm willing to bet that is why Avery took such a big lead this past weekend. I know one of my buddies that can't throw much past 330 would be really frustrated with Moraine.
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby roadkill » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:27 pm

It seems that there are lots of low ceilings on holes you'd like to throw hard on (like the hole just referenced). So even if you have power you can't really use it.

I played with Tony Ellis the first round. Tony has a great deal more power than me (probably throws 100-120' farther) but it really didn't seem to help him. He did shoot a lower score but it was more due to better putting and course knowledge than anything else.

Avery has just been killing it lately. It helps to throw as far as he does but he just has the total package. Big power only takes you so far. Winning the Worlds and numerous NTs and A-tiers require you to master all facets which I believe he has.

Regarding Moraine I did like it, however in my book it doesn't quite rise to the level of awesomeness that I expected. Awesomeness is in West Virginia Labor day weekend every year.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Postby uNicedmeMan » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:37 am

roadkill wrote:Awesomeness is in West Virginia Labor day weekend every year.

Truth
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby gator » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:46 am

I couldn't believe B Schultz shot a 55 from the golds at Moraine at the Pfdo. I don't mind the 1000' roller hole, whats wrong with a roller hole shouldn't a course test all the shots in your bag? I haven't played Deer Lakes, but Moraine is a great course and Knob Hill is a pretty solid course as well. I'm impressed with the locals in Pittsburgh for raising the funds to put three sets of pads in at Deer Lakes....just awesome.
Jerry R wrote:As you were with Dave's testicles.
gator
Tree Magnet

Postby bcsst26 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:47 am

gator wrote:I couldn't believe B Schultz shot a 55 from the golds at Moraine at the Pfdo. I don't mind the 1000' roller hole, whats wrong with a roller hole shouldn't a course test all the shots in your bag? I haven't played Deer Lakes, but Moraine is a great course and Knob Hill is a pretty solid course as well. I'm impressed with the locals in Pittsburgh for raising the funds to put three sets of pads in at Deer Lakes....just awesome.

yeah that 55 is sick. Do you live in the area? As for Deer Lakes the county is actually covering the cost of materials (cement etc) for the pads at deer lakes but the locals are doing all the work. Still awesome though and they are getting closer to being finished. The Hunt should be a great tournament this year. I actually made it out yesterday to deer lakes for the first time in a long time and I barely recognized holes 7,8,9. They did some heavy brush clearing and it looks great.
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby gator » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:56 pm

No, I don't live down there I'm up in Rochester, Ny. I was down there earlier in April and again for the PFDO. We had a bunch of people ready to come back down for the Hunt but it ended up being the same weekend as a memorial tournament. Can't wait to see Deer Lake.
Jerry R wrote:As you were with Dave's testicles.
gator
Tree Magnet

Postby bcsst26 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:13 am

The hunt went well. I think almost 70 people showed up. The weather could have been better but could have been worse also. The course is looking good. I think there are 3 holes that don't have concrete tee pads so that isn't to bad. With the improvements that have been made this year I think it is the best in Western Pa hands down but that is always the debate.
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Previous

Return to Courses