courses around maple grove/ minneapolis

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

courses around maple grove/ minneapolis

Postby the unwrinkled ear » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:39 am

there are a ton of courses in the minneapolis area, i know. and some especially fine courses if you can make a day of it. problem is, every time i'm there, it's to see my girlfriend's family and unlikely that i can get an entire day to throw. i think i've played the four courses closest to the house in maple grove, but i'd really like to know if there is another course that might be just a little further that would be worth going to.

first, let me tell you the ones i've played, and what i think about each, so you can get a sense of my taste:

plymouth creek - played multiple times; i like it. usually full of litter, but very fun.

eden prairie - played once last year; seemed like it was in the middle of renovations/ expansions. obviously very well-maintained and manicured. would play again any day. though it was confusing to navigate, and seemed like it was designed more for ball golf than disc golf at some points (mowed fairways vs. 3 inch growth of grass on edges doesn't really make a difference since you're gonna stand on both; i'd personally prefer to have more trees in the way to navigate through rather than just test my power repeatedly)

zachary playfield - played once a couple years ago and it was OK. there was also a lot of construction going on when i played this one so i don't think i got to play the full layout. what's the deal now?

silverview - not bad if i lived right around the corner, but probably my least favorite of the bunch

so if i've only got half a day to play: should i stick to eden or plymouth or is there something else within reach that is worth an extra step? also, did that course open up at Elm Creek yet? or any others open up that i havent heard about?

thanks minneapolins
most recent Ace: 7/16/09: Chavez Ridge/ Dodger Stadium, CA, hole #6, Soft APX
the unwrinkled ear
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Re: courses around maple grove/ minneapolis

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:03 pm

You might want to try Bassett Creek in Crystal or Hansen Park in New Brighton which are both 12 holes. You also might want to try Hyland Hills Ski Area in Bloomington for 18 or Blue Ribbon Pines in E. Bethel for 24 holes pay-for-play.

Here's the PDGA course radius search for a Maple Grove Zip code:
http://www.pdga.com/courses-by-state?Se ... rch=Search
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jwb » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:24 pm

Bryant is a sweet course in EP, its 18 now. Can get very busy. Elm Creek in maple grove is suppose to open in June. Not sure if its open yet.
jwb
Noob

Favorite Disc: M Wizard

Postby jwb » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:24 pm

Elm Creek is now open in Maple Grove!
jwb
Noob

Favorite Disc: M Wizard

Postby the unwrinkled ear » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:47 am

played elm creek three times while i was up there. fuc king beautiful course, and very close to my ladies' family, so that will be my default course when i can only get away for a couple hours. That course is sculpted! really nice long par 3s and 4s and the shorter ones quite tricky as well. i shot two over my first round (4 bogeys, 2 birdies); then 1 over the next day (1 bogey) then -1 on my third round (2 birdies, 1 bogey.)

i'd geuss that the ssa for this course would be between 4 and 6 under, 50-52 based on my rating/ skill level and how i felt like i played. par is 56

i love how this course makes you play golf and go for placement, not just avoiding obstacles. you really get a chance to sculpt your shot. and deal with tricky and subtle elevations. top caliber stuff. the courses in socal are cringeworthy in comparison
most recent Ace: 7/16/09: Chavez Ridge/ Dodger Stadium, CA, hole #6, Soft APX
the unwrinkled ear
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Lakewoodhillsdgleague » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:09 pm

That's MN for you! Glad you enjoyed your experience up here....
MN Frisbee Association President

Sign up for the Lakewood Hills Disc Golf League NOW!!!!! Currently splashing chains every Sunday @ 4pm!!!! Open $5 Ams $3

http://www.lakewoodhillsdg.com
lakewoodhillsdgleague@hotmail.com
Lakewoodhillsdgleague
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Crystal Z FLX Buzzz

Postby masterbeato » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:27 pm

i cannot shoot under par at elm creek, the closest i came was +4 the rest were double digits over. without one birdie.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Return to Courses