4 Courses @ Lemon Lake County Park in NW Indiana..by Chicago

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

4 Courses @ Lemon Lake County Park in NW Indiana..by Chicago

Postby Channel Z » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:12 pm

4 World Class courses in one park, Lemon Lake is gearing up to host the 2010 PDGA Pro Worlds. Here is the facebook blurb and a link to the facebook site with pics and videos...

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... 345&ref=mf

The Red ROC Disc Golf Club is hosting the 2010 Professional Disc Golf Association Pro World Championships at Lemon Lake Park in Cedar Lake Indiana by Chicago (the park is 1/2 in Cedar Lake, IN and 1/2 in Crown Point, IN). Lemon Lake is the home of 4 world class disc golf courses. Though all the courses are currently being tweaked, they are available for play today. Competitors will all play inside Lemon Lake which will reduce travel times and confusion. A plethora of amenities include the sites of Chicago, discounts on a huge water park, and on-site food and drink (during the tournament). Play in our tournaments this year and get a feel for this disc golf mecca.....dates and details coming soon....The 2010 Worlds event date has not been finalized but should be one of the first 2 weeks of August, 2010....Bart 'Channel Z' Zandstra...11924...www.DiscGolfFlyMart.com
Channel Z
Noob

Favorite Disc: 1st Run Buzzz

Re: 4 Courses @ Lemon Lake County Park in NW Indiana..by Chicago

Postby roman » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:36 pm

Lemon Lake definitely has some good potential, but I'm not sure if they're ready for worlds yet. They have a lot of work ahead of them to gear up. That new white course is a joke. It has some really cool looking holes, but they're all under 200 feet. I can't see pros shooting less than 18 down on that course (i shot 9 down my first time around the course and I can't putt to save my life), and that's just not right. It would be sweet if they could play Valparaiso instead of the White course. Valparaiso is better than any of the courses at Lemon Lake, but unfortunately it's just one course.
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:49 pm

Most divisions won't be playing the White course, just two rounds each on the other three in the prelims. Valpo is no better in terms of SSA rating based on the stats there, not to say it couldn't be tricked out. Most Worlds venues in the past including KC didn't even have some courses being used in the ground until a few months before the event. Lemon Lake is way ahead of most World venues on course readiness.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Channel Z » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:08 pm

Lemon Lake's courses are all in transition in anticipation of hosting the 2010 Worlds. We are adding extra pin and tee locations on the majority of the courses. As such we are providing a TON of volunteer work and as Fairway Surgeon is in Illinois perhaps you could get on our volunteer list? contact me for details....

Bart 'Channel Z' Zandstra

www.DiscGolfFlyMart.com
Channel Z
Noob

Postby roman » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:24 pm

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to come off sounding like an asshole about the Lemon Lake courses. I know a lot of work has been put into that park, as I've seen it improve over the years. I just secretly wanted Valpo to be included because of the cool elevation on that course. I know it's better to have everyone stay at one location instead of having to drive an hour out of the way to play an extra course. Someone also just pointed out to me that they're going to be running super class on the white course, which makes more sense now since I only used my Roc and my Aviar while playing that course. I didn't know about the super class when I played it, so I was a bit underwhelmed because I was expecting something along the lines of another silver course ;)
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Channel Z » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:55 pm

The main thrust to the white course was injected by the parks management. they wanted a course that was more beginner friendly then the other 3 courses. We compromised by designing the course with multiple pin/tee locations so we could lengthen it for tournaments. I love the Valpo course as well but all the Worlds I've been to, although enjoyable, had the problem of too much travel between courses. For experienced worlds players this single location is GREAT! The red/blue/gold courses have both recently experienced alternate pin locations and tees. These types of adjustments will continue in our efforts to make Lemon Lake the best it can be by next years worlds. We are pouring concrete on Thursday and will have crews out on the courses Saturday and Sunday this week if anyone is interested in making a difference at the Lemon. Free passes to the park are awarded to anyone with 16 or more hours. We also take the opinions of our volunteers to heart more than non-volunteers.
Channel Z
Noob

Return to Courses