Courses you don't play and why

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Courses you don't play and why

Postby MonsterX12 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:05 am

I wont play Sunset Park in Branson Missouri again. It is located in the worst location it has pools of gross smelling stagnant water on a normal day. Every shot is identical to the last. The shots are all low ceiling shots, and it was not easily found. I drove around for an hour looking for the place only to be disappointed.
Katana, Xcaliber, Teebird, Flat Top Roc, Voodoo
MonsterX12
Noob

Favorite Disc: CFR Katana

Postby Timko » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:14 am

JHern wrote:
rooneytunes wrote:Bear Creek in Grapevine,Tx...Undercover cops posing as golfers (doesn't affect me, but I just don't like the idea, it makes me feel violated)...

Are you serious? What kind of Nazi place is this Grapevine, anyways?

In Cali the cops have absolutely no interest in weed, and very little free time to go around and pulling stunts like this, so they don't bother with disc golf (because they don't expect to find anything else).

In fact, as they argue themselves, it behooves them to leave disc golfers alone and promote the establishment of courses, as disc golf creates an effective deterrent to more conventional kinds of crime in many parks.

I could understand, maybe, if there were special circumstances, like some crime worse than usual happened and they're investigating further...other than that, it is just bad news.

We also don't have this kind of stuff going on in KC. Cops are spending time on things like Murders and Robberies. I think the bigger the city you live in, the less harassment you get from police.

Plus, disc golf chased a lot of bad crime out of some of the parks in KC, so the police have an amicable relationship with most golfers.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby inthedrift » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:16 pm

In TX (went to school there for a couple years) the cops have a hard on for weed. I could definitely see them going undercover to bust some pot smokers. The amount of misplaced resources in this country is nauseating.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby pointdisc » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:41 am

Tanner Park in Waupun.

It's about a 10 minute walk from my place and I've been there about 5 times in the past 3 years actually playing the course.

It's nine holes, there's NO signs or tees or map or sense of direction or obstacles, the baskets suck at catching, and they pull it in september. It's a crappy course in a wide open area.

The only thing I go to that location is because they have a huge open field for practice right next to it.

pd
Rhyno - Element X - Eagle - Firebird - SOLF - QOLS
CLICK HEREto sign up for instant DGR karma!!!
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby SkaBob » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:44 am

I don't usually play Riverbends park. half because of the mosquitos (stagnant swamp on the back section), half because the river that bends through it runs through 2 toxic waste dumps less than a mile upstream, and if the disc diving kids aren't there (or if I don't have any cash on me that day), I'm just not getting anything I lose back.

I also try not to play the Toboggan, even with as awesome as it is...my knees just aren't up to it :cry:

I also don't play the farm (my youtube blooper vid was taken there), because 75% of the course is below the flood plain, so when it rains there's 2-3 feet of water preventing you from playing it, and the whole course layout is just stuck in at random places in the park where they had room. The layout doesn't make sense. There's a 1/4 mile walk from basket 1 to tee pad 2, and you can only get there by walking along a major road with no sidewalk. The rest of the layout isn't much better.

Then there's Willow metropark...It's one of my favorite courses, but you can only play it in the winter. The mosquitos are seriously insane.
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:29 pm

I won't play Avalon Peaks during the summer because if you get off the fairway you are in poison ivy.

Also I try to avoid Kentwood during college months because it is always packed with drunk kids trying to hit me with a wraith.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Toomes » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:12 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:I won't play Avalon Peaks during the summer because if you get off the fairway you are in poison ivy.

Also I try to avoid Kentwood during college months because it is always packed with drunk kids trying to hit me with a wraith.

Does that mean you'd play Scottish Hills? LOL
Toomes
Tree Magnet

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:38 pm

does that even count as a course?
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby chiggins » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:43 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:Also I try to avoid Kentwood during college months because it is always packed with drunk kids trying to hit me with a wraith.

Drunk Kids With Wraiths wrote:There he is! GET HIM!
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby the invisible tree » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:42 pm

I no longer play Pendleton King Park in Augusta, GA which sucks because it's about a 5 minute walk from my house. I chose the house I did mostly due to the fact that the course is so close to it. It's about 20 years old so it was a mostly a roc/putter course but a fun one. There were 4 holes on the course where I'd bust out a driver if I carried a bag but many times I'd go there just to practice rocs and wizards. It was also nice because I could bring my girl or other newbies to learn the game since it a. wasn't very hard and b. wasn't a miserable experience to retrieve errant shots since there was hardly any thick rough.
The parks department decided to rework the park probably due in part to the fact that a continuous disc golf presence in the park had driven off the pros and drug dealers that used to set up shop there. We lost a hole to a playground a couple years back and last year one of the holes was lost due to a dog park. That was great since it really increased the douche bag pit bull owner quotient in the park. These people didn't confine their activities to the dog park but rather let their dogs shit everywhere and also set up grills in various fairways on the course. That sucked as well but I could still get some use from the park since my work schedule allows me to play in the morning before I go in when traffic is low. Within the past few months new holes were cut into the wooded area of the park. These new holes are all very bad and not fun to play. The fairways are filled with stumps from all the small trees that were cut. The area of the park where the new holes were cut was completely untended for many years so it's utter shule off the fairways. The few holes that don't have a ton of thornsbushes and briars off the fairway are too close to other holes so if you go off line and someone else happens to be playing it's all too easy to hit them. Whoever "designed" the holes is in love with super narrow fairways with low ceilings. Fuck him and fuck this course.
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby Working Stiff » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:16 pm

When I don’t have a lot of choices I’ll play anywhere. There used to be a 6-hole course on one acre with home made baskets that couldn’t catch anything, and I’d play it since there wasn’t any other course within an hour of there.

When I do have a choice the places I avoid are usually due to bad golf. Personally I hated Fairfield Park in Round Lake, IL. Most of the holes have no trees, just wide open boring shots. Creve Coeur Lake Park in St. Louis is flat with very few trees. Neither course really punishes you for bad shots on a lot of the holes and really need a strong wind to be even a little challenging. Creve Coeur is also mowed twice a decade, and Fairfield is usually filled with barefoot teenagers who are carrying more beers than discs. I’d play either one of them if I didn’t have any other options, but since both of them are in places where I do have other options I never play them.

St Charles, IL. has a little 9-hole called Campton Hills. It’s painfully short. On the tee for # 2 I laughed out loud...125' with a slightly elevated tee and a wide-open slight hyzer route to the pin. Even back in the lid days that hole would have been a joke, but Campton Hills is only four or five years old. It’s so short that it doesn’t even qualify as a pitch and putt, more like a putt-putt course. I’m a weenie arm and a big advocate of courses keeping recreational players in mind, but I just shook my head wondering what the point was. I can’t imagine I’ll ever be bored enough to go back there.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby tigel » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:48 pm

Tom Watkins park in Springfield, MO is awful. It's in an open park with very little terrain you have to deal with. I'd rather go throw in a field than there now a days.... Also a basket always gets stolen so it's basically a 17 hole course.

There's a tournament there this weekend and its the first tournament that I'm able to go to that I'm not going to because of the course. Maybe I'm just being a brat about it, but I never enjoy myself.
KC aviar | Roc | Teebird | Cyclone | Orc |predator| QOLS
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby beatz » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:45 pm

Jeronimo wrote:I'm contemplating never playing the Gold Dragon in Scarburough ME again because someone nailed my new '09 VW GTI with an errant drive off a tee that is pretty much too close to the parking lot. Left a nice sized dent on my car.

THat is why i dont park there, Park on the side of the clubhouse if its open. I have never seen a drive to over there and i have watched some seriously crappy drives on hole 10.
http://www.gdstour.com/index.php
http://www.utopiadiscgolf.com
code: "beatz"
recieve 5% off your order
Grow the sport!!!! Support those that support us!!!!!!
beatz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: anything gateway

Postby Working Stiff » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:46 pm

tigel wrote:Tom Watkins park in Springfield, MO is awful. It's in an open park with very little terrain you have to deal with. I'd rather go throw in a field than there now a days.... Also a basket always gets stolen so it's basically a 17 hole course.

There's a tournament there this weekend and its the first tournament that I'm able to go to that I'm not going to because of the course. Maybe I'm just being a brat about it, but I never enjoy myself.
Tom Watkins IS awful. Again, it's boring golf. The terrible layout and the tee signs you can't read so that you can't tell which of the three of four baskets you can see you should throw are a bonus. If it was the only course around I'd play it. As it is I often take a putter and play pitch and putt at Oak Grove before I go to Tom Watkins. At least at Oak Grove I'm in danger of throwing my disc out of the park and into somebody's yard. At Tom Watkins I'm more in danger of passing out from boredom.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby DiscDemon25 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:18 pm

There's a course by me in Ft. Benning Ga called Russ Pond. Read the cons on this course review site. It's not my review but it's pretty spot on with why it sucks to even attempt to play here.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.p ... 3&mode=rev

The bad thing is, living in Columbus Ga. we don't even have a course here yet but I'd rather travel out of town than to play at this piece of crap course. It really sucks, too bad no one maintains it because it has potential.
If the pen is mightier than the sword, why do actions speak louder than words?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DiscDemon25
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to Courses