North Carolina Disc Golf

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: North Carolina Disc Golf

Postby Golf-Distance » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:25 pm

jppbkm wrote:If you happen to be driving down/up 77 through Charlotte you would do yourself a great disservice to miss seeing the brand new 521 park Elon(g) Black Course. Also a par 66 layout, this course is the newest edition to a park which already contains a beginner/junior level course (no holes over 350') with an additional set of longer tees which make for quite a fun round of par 3 golf with many different shots required. There are natural teepads marked out here right now but again, with some scout help, we hope to have concrete pads by spring.

The Elon Black Course starts by the parking lot with three sub-300' holes, each with greens backed by OB. Once you get off to an ego boosting start the real challenge starts.

On the par four 4th hole you must make it to a left to right gap about 275' down the fairway for a chance at a birdie three or even a very rare eagle (which has probably not been seen yet here). Hold your horses though, an OB line/low fence skirts the fairway down the right hand side and if you fade out too far left there is a creek waiting to catch your disc. The basket dares you to run it but if your approach shot fades left you are less than 15' from water and OB on the other side.

If your disc golf dreams are undaunted, the par 5 hole five awaits. Your first shot shoots just over 200' straight out of the woods but beware, a retention pond lurks for those who rip a seemingly "great" drive. Better to fade out left where, on your second shot you can shoot over the pond into the open fairway. Don't get too greedy though as the wind can pick up here and send you right into the OB woods if you hyzer out to far or right over another OB fence. If you do manage to stay on the fairway with your 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) shot you can run a long approach shot toward the basket which is on the right hand side of a hill rising from the fairway with, again, tough woods waiting to the left to catch your disc if the wind catches it and you hyzer out.

Hole six is a relatively simple par four with a nice 15'-20' gap just over 100' straight in front of the teepad. If you make it through the gap and land in the fairway a straight 200' to 250' upshot should net you a chance for a bird.

Hole seven is a nice par 3 respite as you only have to make a forehand shot or RHBH turnover for a chance at a long putt as this right turning fairway just keeps going and going to the right.

Hole eight is another tight par four as the creek is even closer on your left. The fairway goes straight for about 250', makes a slight bump to the right, and finishes to the left for the last 150'. Again, beware on your approach as the creek is yet again only feet from the basket. I could go on, and probably will on DGCR, but for now, suffice to say that two more great courses have been added to the Charlotte repertoire.

Come and see and get ready for the Charlotte NC 2012 Pro and AM World Championships!

-Paul Priest

Paul, that wasn't you at Elon on Saturday with Stan 'the man' was it? I throwing my vibram's at the practice basket (my buddies were eating taco bell) when I saw him and somebody else on hole 4 or 5. I wanted to be like "hey man renny rocks" or something like that, but, I figured I'd leave him alone...

Anyways. Stan really has does it again. I had no idea where the 521 park was, until Saturday, and now that I know I'm gonna be there like everyday. It's closer than Renny, longer than Boyd Hill, andd more challenging than Winthrop Lake. The original course has some very Renny-ish holes (like the "right or left" hole), it's almost like Renny Junior honestly.

I only got to throw a couple of the white baskets. I think we played threw 3 at the edge of the water before it got too dark . I was really impressed, I know it's a work it progress, but I love Stan's "risk and reward" design. Hole 3 is a perfect example, that is a very ace-able basket placement. But the basket it on the top of a hill and no less than 5 feet behind is water... Which would mean lost disc = easy circle 3. (Although that would be the plan). What I'm getting at, is, that somebody who goes aggresive at the pin, could get a better score than somebody that planned on a 3. (And wound up with 2 lay ups, 1 missed putt and a come back).

That's what golf should be about. Thinking, planning, shot execution, risks and rewards. Stan really is the best. I've played several Duvall courses, and he's got talent.. . . . it's just Stan is a artist carving flight paths in the medium of forest.
---------------------------------------
---------------------------
-----------------
VP, Roc, Leo, TB, Pred, OLF
Golf-Distance
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: in the lake

Postby Pat » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:15 pm

I am planning on playing a round at Hornets Nest on the 26th.

Ive never played there before and would enjoy a tour.

Let me know if you can help me out.
Keep on Chooglin'
Pat
1000 Rated Poster

Postby BrotherDave » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:12 pm

Just a shout out to all the NC discers.
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby Trey133 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:14 pm

David Weaver and I just won the Elon Black doubles over the weekend! We beat the USDGC qualifying Tuck's!!!!

Nevin still needs a lot of work. Elon Black is THE HEAT. So fun and so hard!

In order of my love for the Charlotte courses:
Hornets Nest
Elong Black
Renny Gold
Renny Black
Charlottes Web
Kilborne
Sugaw
Nevin
Elon shorter holes

Here is to wishing Bracket's Bluff was still there.
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Ghandi
Discmania Golf Discs: Reinvent your game.
Trey133
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby keltik » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:53 pm

well speaking of new courses, does anyone have any news on the course that was supposed to go in Clayton? Last thing I heard was there was a disagreement about using the land for a dog park over a DG course. I was also unaware of the 10+ year old course in Kinston, so I'm not exactly in the loop.

Also my dad was telling me that they had plans to put a course in Henderson (Vance Co. near Kerr Lake). Not sure what happened with that. If that course does go in I do recommend that you bring a firearm when you play there.

and on that note how safe are the courses in Rocky Mount?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby BrotherDave » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:09 pm

Trey133 wrote:David Weaver and I just won the Elon Black doubles over the weekend! We beat the USDGC qualifying Tuck's!!!!

Would that be some Tucker brothers you are referring to? I used to play with Drew and Dave down in Wilmington back in the day, I know they've got two other bros in Charlotte.
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby Trey133 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:02 pm

Yessir
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Ghandi
Discmania Golf Discs: Reinvent your game.
Trey133
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby Lend27 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:40 pm

I am very new to DG. Actually. I haven't even played my first round yet. Up to now I have only played ball golf. But since I've always loved throwing a frisbee, I figured that I'd give it a go.
I have some discs on order through Discgolfcenter.com. Expect them delivered some time this week. Then I'll have to wait until my local course opens again. It's been closed for some maintenance. It's called Glenn Hilton Park in Hickory. Anyone heard of it?
I've heard it's a really nice course. My wife says she'll walk with me when I play. It'll be good exercise for us both.

Just thought I'd chime in!

Len
Lend27
Noob

Favorite Disc: Not sure yet

Postby ferretdance03 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:48 pm

Rather than start a new thread I'm going to jack this one for a minute. I'm going to be spending a weekend in Angier, NC at the beginning of April. I am planning on two days to golf. Obvious questions to ensue: what courses are must plays? Which ones do I skip? I'd like to play as many unique courses as possible, but quality is more important than quanity.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:55 am

Angier is the perfect distance between Fayetteville and Raleigh. You gotta play Buckhorn which is about 30 minutes from Angier and since you'll be up that way you might as well play Middle Creek while you're up that way. You gotta play whichever course in Fayetteville was redesigned because it is awesome (I always get the two mixed up). You can also hit up Sanford which has a fun little course. If you don't mind some driving you should play the course down in Lumberton, it plays around a couple of lakes and is a beautiful course.

Also Angier has a dinker 9 hole at a park in downtown that is unplayable most of the time because you have to throw over baseball fields and volleyball courts. If you want to warm up before playing a real course stop by there when there is no one there.

p.s. PM when you're in town, I'm only like 15 minutes away from Angier, we could grab a few rounds together.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby ferretdance03 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:08 am

Cool. Who knows which one in Fayetteville is the redesign? I'll for sure hit you
up. I'll probably be playing on the Friday and Saturday that I'm there.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby lefty-hyzer » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:55 am

Cedar Hills is a must if in the raleigh area...uncdgc should also be on the list.

edit: Zebulon should be on there too...
lefty-hyzer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: got a few

Postby keltik » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:19 pm

man what the hell are you doing in Angier of all places? My one bedroom apartment is bigger than the town of Angier.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Toomes » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:30 pm

ferretdance03 wrote:Cool. Who knows which one in Fayetteville is the redesign?

Mazerick, definitely worth playing. Arnette Park, which is also in Fayetteville, is kind of meh.

Definitely come up Raleigh way and at least get Buckhorn and Middle Creek in. If you got more time there are a bunch of other courses in the triangle area worth playing (Zebulon, UNC, Cedar Hill, Leigh Farm, etc.)
Toomes
Tree Magnet

Postby ferretdance03 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:26 pm

keltik wrote:man what the hell are you doing in Angier of all places? My one bedroom apartment is bigger than the town of Angier.

Heh, some friends of ours live there. It's funny, he said the same thing.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Courses