How much land for a decent course

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

How much land for a decent course

Postby domromer » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:51 pm

.A friend of mine just bought a ranchette outside of Yellowstone. It's about 47 acres of rolling terrain, a bunch of small lakes and some nice streams. We were kicking around the idea of building an 18 hole course and was wondering if that would be enough land.
Also how are courses planned out? Are aerial photos used? It seems like that would be the best way to get the lay of the land.
There would be some interesting hazards as there a both cattle, elk, and the occasional grizzly.
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby mothrows » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:27 pm

The p.d.g.a has quite a few things on this subject.

http://www.pdga.com/documents/AcreageChart.pdf
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

Postby some call me...tim? » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:48 pm

dude, 47 acres of Wyoming land to make a disc golf course out of!? I'm jealous!! you can make something SO sick out of that. Pretty much if you've got an acre per hole, you can build something awesome. Most courses have less and do well with it. One course near me has 18 holes (well, like 12 baskets and 18 teepads, really) on 3 acres of land. It's tight and short and actually a pretty good course when it's not completely packed.

With 47 acres though, wow...if you wanted to go balls out, i bet you could fit 3 courses on there, and they'd all be kick-ass. Especially with the lakes and streams you mentioned. Definitely would be concerned about going O.B. with the grizzlies though!
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby domromer » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:10 pm

Cool, we couldn't be sure if that was enough land, it's hard to visualize how big your favorite course is. As for the bears, they are pretty much in the apple orchard during the fall. We are not going to put any holes in that area. It would be great if we could pull it off. We plan on building our own Basket's,I can weld and he owns a scrap yard, so material shouldn't be a problem and pouring our own concrete pads. I'd prefer the rubber kind, but I hear they are pricey. We can't start until spring as winter is fast approaching. Should be a fun project. Sure beats building a deck! something nice to think about over the winter.
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby some call me...tim? » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:34 pm

heheh, yeah, I wish I had a plot of land to just spend the winter brainstorming all the cool holes I can make in the springtime..... :)

as for the teepads, just from what I know and have experienced, I think the rubber pads are actually cheaper than cement. They work all right and are a hell of a lot easier to install, but the cement is still superior. I've only played once on rubber tees. It happened to be raining at the time, and well like that classic Bon Jovi album, they were "slippery when wet"--enough so that a run up on your drive could be dangerous. Cement tees can get slippery too, of course, but if they're done right, you can still feel safe on them while they're wet. Problem with cement though, of course is that it gets pricey. I'd say if you didn't have all the money up front for cement pads, go for crushed gravel for a temporary solution.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby domromer » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:47 pm

I didn't think of gravel. I used crushed granite to make some paths in the garden. After tamping it down and a bit of rain it gets rock hard. It's a lot less labor intensive that pouring forms. I also just found the pdga forum on course construction, looks like I'l be up for the next few hours reading!
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby Rooster » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:26 am

on average a 24 hole course with a good mix of short technical holes and long open hole is about 32 acres....
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby some call me...tim? » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:33 am

Man, they must grow them big in Michigan! One of our lager courses here is 18 holes in a park that's about 29.5 acres. There are some baseball fields and a lake in it too that probably account for 3-4 acres. It's a good course, mostly open holes (at least by Pacific NW standards) with multiple pin placements. 7 holes <300 ft, 8 holes 300-400, and then 3 that are 400+ (one's that's over 600).
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby roadkill » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:41 pm

There's no doubt that 47 acres is more than enough land for a great 18 hole course.

If a course is tightly wooded and all the land is usable you can build a decent 18 holer with as little as 9 acres. A longer, more open course may require 20-25 acres. With 47 acres you could do an awful lot and if it's near Yellowstone I can imagine it would be gorgeous.

If and when you do build it we want pictures and/or invitations to play!
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby domromer » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:16 pm

Once we start bulding, I plan on doing a blog and updating it with pictures. I can't wait to start. We should be able to begin breaking ground in May. In the meantime, we are going to get a fellow golfer who has a hot air ballon to take some aerial photos for us. I fugure thats the best way to get a feel forthe contours of the land, figure how the course should flow.

We were kicking around the idea of bulding a hitching post at every tee pad, we could play golf with our mules as the caddies and transportation.
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby roadkill » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:07 pm

domromer wrote:In the meantime, we are going to get a fellow golfer who has a hot air ballon to take some aerial photos for us. I fugure thats the best way to get a feel forthe contours of the land, figure how the course should flow.

How about in the meantime go to google earth or google maps and locate the property and post the link so we can see the topography and what your working with.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Postby domromer » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:30 pm

how do I attach an image [/img]
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:55 pm

go to a site that hosts images [url]imageshack.net[/url] host your picture, copy the box for a direct link, insert your image bracket (click the image button below the subject box before and after inserting the link copied from the host site) and post.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby domromer » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:28 pm

I'm not sure if I posted this right, but here is a photo of the land, it's a rough estimate becuse I can't tell what the scale is on google earth. It gives you a rough idea of what the land looks like. It's SW of Cody, towards the airport.
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby roadkill » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:48 am

What I was suggesting was find the spot on google maps and post the link.

That way we could click and go to the google maps page and zoom in, zoom out and pan to get a feel for the area. I would think the resolution may be better also.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to Courses