How much land for a decent course

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby anhyzer » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:40 am

I'm assuming this is a private course? If so, you could get a lot more than a single 18-hole course on that much acreage. And with that terrain, you could probably make every hole a winner.

I've squeezed a pair of 24-hole courses onto about 13 acres (12 baskets, 4 teepads per basket, a different teepad/basket combo for the front and back sides of each course). It's a fairly short course (longest hole is about 400'), with fairways criss-crossing each other at all kinds of angles, which works only because of the trees and constant relief changes. It would never pass muster if lots of people were playing, but it works great for me.

I'd say that with 47 acres, you might want to plan ahead for 2 or 3 course layouts. You might get tired of playing the same course all the time. :D
anhyzer
Noob

Postby domromer » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:45 am

Right now it's all just in the planning stages, due to being buried under 6ft of snow, love those Wyoming winters.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby Eric O » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:03 am

I would consider rubber tees the last option behind concrete, crushed rock , etc. THey are slippery when wet, slippery when muddy, slippery when icy, slippery when you look at them sideways, and will wear out over time and need replacing eventually anyway.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

backwards

Postby yoseman » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:49 pm

Greetings Domromer,
I've designed 3 permanent courses (Whistlers Bend, Riverfront and Hartley)and over a hundred temporary holes all over Southern Oregon.
One thing that has really worked is going backwards. :?: :?:

Find where you want the last hole.
Now that you have a hole placement,
pretend your the basket and envision a disc flying in at you.
When you find a fairway, walk it (backwards) and look for your tee.
So on and so on.
When I get down to 3 or 4 holes left, I usually have to go find tee 1 and connect the dots goin forward.
I hope this makes sense.
One thing to always remember for basket placements:
a foot or so right, left etc. may make a lot of difference wether there is an ace run or not
This is why I envision a drive coming right at me,
SHAWEET PUTTZ
yoseman
Noob

Postby domromer » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:19 pm

good idea. You designed all those courses! Thats cool, I think river front is such a cool course. Even though it is super short it's one of my favorite courses in Oregon. I never play whistler without hitting up riverfront on the way home.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Previous

Return to Courses