Dallas area courses

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Dallas area courses

Postby sharkthrower » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:14 am

I'm going to be at a teaching convention in Dallas on the week of the 21st.

We'll be staying at the Hyatt Regency in Dallas. Are there any courses in the general vicinity of the hotel? I've never been to Big D, but I've read a lot here about Texas golf and I want to check it out.

It also depends how hard it is to fly with my discs....
sharkthrower
Tree Magnet

Re: Dallas area courses

Postby RustyP » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:44 pm

If you're staying at the one near downtown dallas, Turner Park is probably you're best bet. Its just south of I30 on Beltline Rd...10 minutes from downtown (if no traffic). Its a good mix of open/wooded, has elevation and well manicured grass...also good tees and signage.

If you're at the hyatt near DFW airport, then I think Fritz Park is probably closest. Its a nice grassy 9-hole course with dual tees and a creek. Not the best in Dallas, but still a fun course with nice locals (Irving Disc Golf Club).
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby chopz33 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:55 am

damn, out of all the courses in DFW, being in downtown kinda sucks if you wanna play, you are looking anywhere from a 12-25 mile drive to play..the closest decent course to the Hyatt is probably gonna be BB Owen, which can take up to 45 minutes from where you are due to traffic...

so alot of it is gonna depend on the time of day you can play. my best suggestion would be that you get on IH 30 and head east, last thing you wanna do is drive around and get lost so if you get on 30 you can head towards mesquite and play Paschall and then maybe venture over to Garland and play Audubon, and then of course if you have half a day drive out to Rockwall....thats a must play course in my opinion...

there are definately better courses in the area than Mesquite and Garland, but due to you not really knowing the area, I'd say stick to the ones closest to major highways

good luck!
chopz33
Noob

Postby RustyP » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:26 am

East bound on I30 is definitely the least trafficky highway heading away from downtown. I don't know what days / times you'll be available, but if you end up playing Audubon and want some company I can show you around. I live just down the street from the course...and I run a 6pm Wed night doubles mini out there. The course is currently in better shape than the reviews on dgcoursereview.com make it sound.

Honestly though, if you made the drive to audubon, I'd suggest going the extra 15-20 minutes into Rockwall...much nicer course with all the amenities.
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Return to Courses