SoCal Discin

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

SoCal Discin

Postby JHern » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:31 pm

Last month I disc golfed my way all over Oregon, and had a blast. Now I'm totally stoked after a grand tour of SoCal disc golf. Waller Pines in Santa Maria, Evergreen in Goleta, Coyote Point @ Lake Casitas, Morley Field in San Diego, El Dorado in Long Beach, La Mirada in La Mirada, and Hahamonga in Pasadena (we missed out on Sylmar, but I've already played Sylmar many times).

Not too shabby! La Mirada was especially beautiful, and really fun to play. Too bad they don't have many tournaments, I hear that this course is one of the best ever in the tournament set-up. IMHO, Coyote Point is the best course in SoCal...gorgeous setting, unique holes and challenges (wind, altitude, tight lines, distance, etc., are all present).

Almost stepped on a rattlesnake in Pasadena. :o

Funny thing: in many SoCal courses the concrete tees have a kind of "curb" at the front edge. I'm not sure what to make of it, or how to use it. Seems like ankle-trouble, so I just avoid it. Does anybody know why they do that?

Next stop: Phoenix, AZ. I'm going to play all the worthwhile courses there, which is a minimum of 4 according to my estimates. Can't wait to play the Fountain Hills course!
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Re: SoCal Discin

Postby backswing » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:45 pm

JHern wrote:Funny thing: in many SoCal courses the concrete tees have a kind of "curb" at the front edge. I'm not sure what to make of it, or how to use it. Seems like ankle-trouble, so I just avoid it. Does anybody know why they do that?

Next stop: Phoenix, AZ. I'm going to play all the worthwhile courses there, which is a minimum of 4 according to my estimates. Can't wait to play the Fountain Hills course!

Great choice in courses. Not only for history but quality. Waller is a great time and Casitas is definitely the top course in the area. As for the tees, I used to play La Mirada a bunch in the early mornings (before 8am) and they would water the hell out of the course; run-ups were a no-no. Combine zero footing with some uphill tee boxes and you would have to stand and deliver at the front of the box. The little ramp helped get a little more power. That's not how it might have been intended but it worked for me and I was glad they were there on a couple holes.

The giant course at La Mirada is great. Super long technical holes that will kick your butt.

Fountain Hills is amazing, bring extras for the lake. If it's set up anything like it was last time I was there 9 baskets will be placed within 20' of the lake. I played like pussy and still lost my favorite FLX Buzzz. Empty your bag on the downhill 15 (or 16). Check out Vista as well, they've got a nice pro shop in the shopping center, but I'm sure you've got this planned out.
backswing
Noob

Favorite Disc: Comet

Return to Courses