California Courses?

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

California Courses?

Postby Barbikes » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:56 pm

We're planning a road trip to L.A. (from Seattle) probably the first week of February.
We plan on utilizing I-5 but also the coast highway (Big Sur) from south of Frisco.
So I would like to hear about what are your "top five" California courses within 50 miles of this route?
Barbikes
Tree Magnet

Postby scoot_er » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:07 pm

La Mirada, Sylmar, Emeral Isle, Morley (San diego), and probably El Dorado.

Oak grove isn't too far either. I just got back from Cali two days ago. :lol:
scoot_er
1000 Rated Poster

Postby presidio hills » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:52 pm

you should definitely play stafford lake (novato, CA), de la veaga (santa cruz), and the monteray courses (especially the oaks). weebl is one lucky mo fo to play the oaks course all the time... damn...

i'm a big fan of vacaville too, a little tough to navigate unless you're with a local or get a course map somehow... but i've never played a course with as much terrain variety as vacaville. not as amazing as the others i mentioned, but i think it's still a super cool course.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby domromer » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:35 pm

I played the course in crescent city, it was amazing. You gotta check it out, you can play at grants pass, then hop on the 299 straight to crescent city, I thinks it's one of the prettiest courses I have ever played. It's right on the ocean. You can actually screw up and send a disc into the drink.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Re: California Courses?

Postby plastic_fondler » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:30 am

Barbikes wrote:We're planning a road trip to L.A. (from Seattle) probably the first week of February.
We plan on utilizing I-5 but also the coast highway (Big Sur) from south of Frisco.
So I would like to hear about what are your "top five" California courses within 50 miles of this route?

Humbolt area: Amman Ranch and Horse Mt. are tonepoles out in the middle of nowwhere. The curtain is tonepoles too. The River is baskets and there is a new course Manilla by the beach.

Chico/Redding area: Bidwell in Chico is tonepole and oroville has two course by the river now...both baskets I think.

Sac area: Auburn, Rocklin, Grass Valley has two great courses. I'd avoid Orangevale.

Mendo/Lake area: Ukiah has three courses, Low Gap, the College and the lake.....all within three miles. Lakeport is one my favorite smaller courses.

Sonoma/Napa: Stafford and Napa are very similiar. I'd suggest Stafford over Napa....but both are quality.

Santa Cruz - Dela is not to be missed.

south of here I can not speak off. I've heard Montreray is nice. I've also heard good things about the courses in Ventura, SLO, Santa Maria and then of course all the LA courses.

As for my top five courses....north to south:

- Amman Ranch
- Lakeport
- Stafford
- Santa Cruz
- something new south of here. I'll be playing Santa Maria this weekend....27 socal park course.

If you play stafford....PM me and I'll try to be available for a round.
plastic_fondler
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: firebird

Re: California Courses?

Postby ryangwillim » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:28 am

Barbikes wrote:We're planning a road trip to L.A. (from Seattle) probably the first week of February.

North of L.A. along the 101 many people like playing Lake Casitas, which is in Ojai. Also Santa Maria has a course called Waller Pines which is really quite good.
In L.A. I would suggest that you play La Mirada, it's about 5 miles off of I-5. Also Huntington Beach and El Dorado might be fun, but aren't nearly as good as La Mirada. If you want to venture a little south Emerald Isle is definitely the one of the best courses in SoCal. Here is a link to some pics of EI...

http://members.cox.net/skipwins/EIDG/Top/default.htm

It's a beautiful course and the staff treats DGers very well! If you make it down I'd be happy to meet you there and give you the tour, schedule permitting of course!
ryangwillim
Noob

Postby some call me...tim? » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:38 am

I can speak of a couple central coast courses, after the Santa Cruz/Monterey area, the next worthwhile course I know of is Waller Park in Santa Maria. One of my favorite courses of all time, 27 holes in a really nice park, great tee pads and baskets and a good variety of shots. A lot of it doesn't even look like you're in California, looks more like North Carolina with pine trees and (green) grass and sand. Great course, but you might want to follow some locals, as 9 holes were added to the original 18 and it can be easy to miss the turn to hit the extra 9.

Santa Barbara has my original home course or Goleta to be more precise. It's a cool little course, but after playing more courses since, I've realized it's pretty much a pitch & putt course. I haven't played Juel Park here in the Seattle area, but I'm thinking its probably along the same lines. Might be nice to play if you want to take a pit stop, but it's certainly not the most noteworthy course in CA.

Inland from Ventura is a great, relatively new course at Lake Casitas. It's on private property around a reservoir with camping and fishing available. I think it's like $6 per car to get in, but it's well worth the money. I guess the local pro level players were discouraged at not having a course around that was challenging enough, so they all pitched in and built this one up. It's an awesome one that'll test your skills for sure. Great elevation changes, some water hazards, and some downright phenomenal southern CA vistas.

Though most of the courses shown here are probably not on your route, you can see some cool slideshows of courses CA courses here (including the 3 I just mentioned) http://www.pickyourdisc.com/CourseSlideShows.htm

Only other courses I've played in SoCal are Sylmar and Morley Field. Sylmar is all right, but nothing special. I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to get there. Morley is pretty cool, but pretty much being the only real course in San Diego, it can get crowded. Really well maintained though, and I believe 5 different pin positions on every hole which get changed every Monday.

Haven't played it, but from what I hear La Mirada is a course that must be played if you're in LA.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

A Big THANKS!

Postby Barbikes » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:49 pm

Hey!
Thanks everybody for responding to my post!
I'm thinking that enroute we'll probably try to hit Dexter Lake and/or McIvers in OR. Then hopefully DeLaveaga, The Oaks Course, and Waller Pines. Then in the greater LA area we'll try for Lake Casitas, La Mirada, Oak Grove, and Sylmar. Does anybody have any input concerning the course at Yucaipa or the Chavez Ridge course?
With all the other courses y'all have recommended I am pleased to have the "Too many courses, too little time" problem!
Barbikes
Tree Magnet

Postby domromer » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:58 pm

this interactive map might help.

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/maps/oregon_disc_golf.html

Roseburg Oregon has a great course called Whistler's Bend
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby Barbikes » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:26 pm

Thanks domromer!
That's a way cool map. Ya got any of those for other states cause I love to play discgolf when I travel!
Barbikes
Tree Magnet

Postby domromer » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:34 pm

no, but I am working on one for California. It will be a while. I don't have a lot of free time to get it done.

The map for Oregon was done by another fellow golfer.

domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby some call me...tim? » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:50 pm

That IS a cool map, way better than what you find on the PDGA site. Something I've done in my spare time which is probably a bit on the nerdy side but kinda cool nonetheless is to find courses on Google Earth and set them as placemarks, along with setting my apartment as one. You can then right click on the placemarks, and get directions to/from the different ones. This has come in to be really helpful for me when going to a course for the first time, b/c as I'm sure as many others on here have found, the directions you get from the PDGA site can be excruciatingly vague. Also, its really handy if you want to check out more than one course on a trip, b/c you can get directions to/from the courses as well. I think there's even some place where you can download all the course locations and import them into Google Earth too, but I haven't tried that yet.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Discoman » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:45 pm

The Boonville Brewery has a course...kinda seems like a no brainer. My Home couse is Delaveaga and it is really fun, the Oaks is superb, the course in Atascadero is fun and I have heard rave reviews of Santa Maria also. Live Oak near Stockton is a cool course easy and pretty good to break up the drive
Discoman
Tree Magnet

Postby Barbikes » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:52 pm

Hey Discoman thanks for the tips!
I played the Boonville course and the course at Weed when I drove down in 05 to see MotoGP at Laguna Seca.
They were both real unique to me. The course at Boonville because they actually encourage you to have a few beers while you're playing (and then kickback with a pint at the 19th hole!), and the course at Weed because of the most diabolical use of manmade OB's that I have ever seen!
If the rest of the Cali courses are anything like those two then we are in for one hell of a trip!
Barbikes
Tree Magnet

Postby plastic_fondler » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:57 am

Discoman wrote:The Boonville Brewery has a course...kinda seems like a no brainer. My Home couse is Delaveaga and it is really fun, the Oaks is superb, the course in Atascadero is fun and I have heard rave reviews of Santa Maria also. Live Oak near Stockton is a cool course easy and pretty good to break up the drive

Boonville course is better in the summer than winter. Summer is out back and winter up front. Santa Maria Waller Pines blowes away Stockton as a park course, but thats all it is...a small park course. I wish I had enough energy to stop at the Atascadero course this past weekend on the way home from Santa Maria. That area of cali reminds me of the oak savanna of my home course.
plastic_fondler
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: firebird

Next

Return to Courses