golden gate park course

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

golden gate park course

Postby presidio hills » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:39 pm

i'm happy to report on the progress the permanent course in golden gate park is making. we've been at it i think 10 weeks now and last i heard we should be opening the course in mid feb or so.

there's pictures and even pin distances listed. i know people make it out to san francisco for business and other visits... i've been PMed by a few people coming to the bay area looking to play. well, i think our course will be pretty sick... not the best ever, but a damn good course! the holes will be much longer than the temp course... and many of the tees and pin locations have been moved for maximum difficulty. plus there's now a back nine which will include many tricky shots as well as elevation.

it should end up being a very tight course with most holes around the 300' mark and a few pushing 400' (holes 5, 12, and 17). i was lucky enough to help the designer measure the front nine's pin locations.

wish us a swift homestretch in the building! us san franciscans have been without a home course for more than a year now... it's going to be unreal to have it back!

http://www.sfdiscgolf.net/gallery2/main ... itemId=287 <--walk through
http://www.sfdiscgolf.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=270 <--hole distances
http://www.sfdiscgolf.net/gallery2/main ... _itemId=66 <--work photos
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Re: golden gate park course

Postby plastic_fondler » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:56 am

http://www.sfdiscgolf.net/Images/CourseMap.jpg

Is there still a backdoor on 5? I didn't see the new OB that they were talking about on the map. I'm talking the lefty route.

17 looks to be the same shot from the temp course at the safari. This might be the hardest bird on the course. Tee 11 to basket 12 looks fun! Actually...skip a hole is going to be real nice now there....

1to 2, 3 to 4, 5 to 7, 8 to 9, 1 to 10, 11 to 12, 13 to 15, 16 to 13 and finally 17 to 18. Ouch!
plastic_fondler
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: firebird

Postby some call me...tim? » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:24 am

Man, it's been a long time since I've been to Golden Gate Park, and when I was there it was before I knew anything about DG. From what I remember of it though, its a sweet location for a course!

Just looking at some of those pics, it looks like you guys are doing it up right. Those teeboxes on the hills, like 11 and 12 look absolutely beautiful, very professional. I would love to have something like that on our courses here. Can I ask what the approximate cost is for all the materials that have gone into it?
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby presidio hills » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:21 am

plastic_fondler wrote:Is there still a backdoor on 5? I didn't see the new OB that they were talking about on the map. I'm talking the lefty route.

i think in order to lessen erosion on the left side of hole five (hills with the stairs that go down to 6 etc..) they're going to make it OB over there... probably some island OBs. i'm not sure if it's definite... i think ross is in charge of making these descisions according to what he thinks the city will approve of.

the backdoor line is much more blocked now anyways since the pad is moved back (about 30' behind the old red). at best a hyzer that direction will get ya to the base of that hill short of the A position (short on the hill). i played it the other day and in all seriousness i might be throwing a putter down the pipe on that hole every time just trying to get it 200' and in play so i can go for par on the next shot. when it's long it's now 405' down the needle full of trees. gonna be a toughy!

plastic fondler = nick! haha. you gave it all away asking for the backdoor route :)
presidio hills = kim in case you haven't figured it out yet. good to see you on the dgr message boards. hope to bump into in real life again soon!
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby presidio hills » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:26 am

timbuktwhom wrote:Just looking at some of those pics, it looks like you guys are doing it up right. Those teeboxes on the hills, like 11 and 12 look absolutely beautiful, very professional. I would love to have something like that on our courses here. Can I ask what the approximate cost is for all the materials that have gone into it?

it's been TONS of work. those two teepad are behemoths! i feel like hole 12 is taking up about 25% of the total work done on the course so far but it is a super beautiful epic shot.

i think the total costs is ending up around $40,000. we're lining all the paths with little logs staked into the ground... plus those retaining walls are made of quality lumber. it's all overkill but it's what the city is requesting of us. that's just what it takes to put a dg course in golden gate park. we're going to put up some tree protection in front of certain trees as well. a lot of extra stuff that is definitely bumping the price up...
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby some call me...tim? » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:56 pm

Wow, that's definitely not cheap, but hey, I guess you've gotta shell out for quality. From what little I see of the course in the pics, it looks to be truly beautiful though, and I think having aesthetics is too often overlooked for courses. Being able to play in a gorgeous setting with quality amenities just adds so much to the experience.

Do those numbers include benches and baskets? And did you guys have to raise the funds yourself, or is the city contributing too?
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby plastic_fondler » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:59 pm

presidio hills wrote:plastic fondler = nick! haha. you gave it all away asking for the backdoor route :)
presidio hills = kim in case you haven't figured it out yet. good to see you on the dgr message boards. hope to bump into in real life again soon!

Hahaha.....you got me Kim. Damm.
plastic_fondler
Fairway Surgeon

Postby presidio hills » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:29 am

timbuktwhom wrote:Wow, that's definitely not cheap, but hey, I guess you've gotta shell out for quality. From what little I see of the course in the pics, it looks to be truly beautiful though, and I think having aesthetics is too often overlooked for courses. Being able to play in a gorgeous setting with quality amenities just adds so much to the experience.

Do those numbers include benches and baskets? And did you guys have to raise the funds yourself, or is the city contributing too?

for sure! it'll feel great to play...
the costs cover everything... but i'm not sure if the 14 baskets we already had are included in the costs.
i run on lazer beans
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Eric O » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:10 pm

Congratulations and nice work! Gotta head south one of these days and check it out.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

hows it going?

Postby Desafinado » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:25 pm

hey presidio or any other san fran folks,

just wanted to see how work is progressing at the course. there have been no posted descriptions of the past two weekends of work on the sfdiscgolf.net forums, and no new pictures for the past two weekends either.

i saw that opening day will be 3/31, and if i'm not playing in the stafford lake tourney that weekend, i will definitely try to be out there. just curious what's being worked on- i imagine the pads are all poured, so it's probably basket sleeves being put into the ground and trail work/tree protection.

keep up the kick ass work, sf discgolf community!!
Desafinado
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby presidio hills » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:20 pm

desa,

there was a work party 2 saturdays ago, sunday was cancelled due to a combo of superbowl and bezerkely doubles bash. i was out of town this last weekend... but i'm assuming people got started on signs, tree protection, sleeves, chips, and hopefully the last 4 pads got poured.
the projected date of playability was beginning of march... while a few more things get finished on the weekends of that month to be ready for the "grand opening" march 31st. i hope it all goes as planned.
i'll post as soon as it's playable (count on that).
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Re: hows it going?

Postby plastic_fondler » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:43 am

Desafinado wrote:i saw that opening day will be 3/31, and if i'm not playing in the Stafford lake tourney that weekend, i will definitely try to be out there.

Too bad Ross scheduled opening day the same weekend as Stafford's first pdga sanctioned tourney in a long time. Come up to the lake....it promises to be a blast. In addition to the normal course, we have approval for a temp course that will play beside the lake. Camping on site....be prepared for rain even if it doesn't rain...ie. fog. Finally, Sunday will be the annual sunset party at Stafford. This is basically a low key rave with dj's spinning all day. I'm so glad more people will get to experience this.....playing the course with decent music pumping all day. The only thing better is rounds at the KOA with dub in the background.

UFOS!!!
plastic_fondler
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Desafinado » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:00 am

thanks for the info PF- the idea of good music playing all day in that beautiful locale, sinking birdie putts... starting to really lean towards attending that tourney. i'm in a bit of a pinch, though, because I can probably only make it to two of the three tourneys i'm most interested in- masters cup @ santa cruz, vintage cup @ napa, and stafford lake.

if only there was a way to know, two months out, how the weather would be at all three- that would definitely help me make the decision :wink:

can't wait for the GGP course to be done- right now, the only 18 hole course within an hour of where i live(hayward) is aquatic park in berkeley, and I'm not always in the mood for that course's variety of hazards.
Desafinado
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby presidio hills » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:32 am

GGP should be playable before then... that's definitely too bad that stafford's first pdga event in a while (and there should be one there every year no doubt!) is on the same weekend. it's all the same family... maybe things will get changed so all can attend both. that's what i'm hoping at least.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby plastic_fondler » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:43 am

presidio hills wrote:GGP should be playable before then... that's definitely too bad that stafford's first pdga event in a while (and there should be one there every year no doubt!) is on the same weekend. it's all the same family... maybe things will get changed so all can attend both. that's what i'm hoping at least.

I doubt the SF dates will change. Par Infinity is our sister club. I should mention their Bigfoot tourney this weekend:

Par Infinity proudly presents the20th Annual

BIGFOOT

disc golf tournament

February 17-18, 2007

@ Mad River Pump Stations #1, #4,
& the Redwood Curtain

PRE-REGISTRATION REQUIRED !!

Deadline is Friday Feb. 16th 8pm @ Humbrews

Saturday Feb 17

7:00 AM Player Check-In
@ Pump #1

8:30 AM Player’s Meeting

9:00 AM Round # 1

Lunch Available $ 4 @ Pump # 1

1:30 PM Round # 2

BIGFOOT STOMP - info @ Check-IN

A - Mad River #1 (11 holes)
Mad River #4 (22 holes)
B - Redwood Curtain (24 holes)

Sunday Feb 18

9:00 AM Player's Meeting
@ Pump #1

9:30 Round # 1

Lunch Available $ 4 @ Pump # 1

1:30 PM Round # 2

AWARD CEREMONY @ HUMBREWS following golf

A -Redwood Curtain (24 holes)
B - Mad River #1 (11 holes)
Mad River #4 (22 holes)

Par Infinity Members Price
(non-members add $5)

Goddess & Novice $ 15

Am Masters & Grand Masters $ 20

Pro Goddess, Advanced & Masters
$ 35

Open $ 45

CTP Contest & HUGE Raffle !!

Repulsively Titanic Player’s Package !!

Volunteers Needed – Work for Perks !

Side Prizes & Donations Encouraged !

Contact: Jimmy Mack (707) 499-8444 for Pre-Registration and/or questions

Please mail checks by Feb. 7th to Par Infinity @

PO BOX 654 Arcata , CA 95518

Do Not Mail Checks After Feb. 7th

Tell your friends.

Come prepared to be huge!!!

Directions to Pump Station # 1: Hwy 299, Exit Giuntoli/West End Road, Turn Left on West End Road go 1.5 miles to Park on Left
Players Meeting @ Picnic Area @ 8:30 AM SAT

Par Infinity 2007 Membership $ 10
P.O Box 654 Arcata Ca 95518
Make Checks Payable to: Par Infinity Disc Golf Club
plastic_fondler
Fairway Surgeon

Next

Return to Courses