Where is that daggum course? aka TGFG (Thank God for Google)

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Where is that daggum course? aka TGFG (Thank God for Google)

Postby some call me...tim? » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:22 am

I mentioned something about importing course locations into Google Earth in California Courses thread, but hadn't actually tried it yet. Well, thanks to boredom, curiosity, and some downtime at work, I just gave it a whirl, and wow, is this ever cool! Rather than hide it in the previous thread, I figured I'd start a new one so it'd be easy to find later on. This should be an invaluable tool for anyone looking to go on a DG roadtrip or looking for a course when visiting a foreign location.

Check it out here: http://discgolffusion.com/GoogleEarth/index.htm

There's also a Google Maps page there, but the Google Earth utility is far superior, as you can get directions to and from the different courses. Very cool stuff.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Barbikes » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:03 pm

Wow! Thanks Timbuktwhom! That IS a useful tool!
It may need a bit more work though. Looking at our local courses I noticed that White River and Crystal Mountain are both mis-located.
Barbikes
Tree Magnet

Postby some call me...tim? » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:28 pm

Hah, you're right...I haven't been to Crystal Mountain so can't really tell, but White River is definitely off. I'll email him the proper coordinates when I'm back home and can see my own placemarks.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby domromer » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:40 pm

Az is wildy innacurate, they have the nau course nearly at the Grand Canyon,. It's a really cool idea, but needs some tweaking.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby Timko » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:20 pm

That's a very cool idea. It's also very nice, because you can submit a revision for your course as long as you've got a GPS. The picture on that page has a picture of the course, as well as tee/pin locations and distances. I would imagine that he's using the pdga directory to find all of these courses, and I'd imagine that some of them are wrong. I'll probably take my GPS and do the 3 courses around me during springtime.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Timko » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:21 pm

The ones with red dots have tee/pin locations and distances. Green dots have an hypertext link to course pictures.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Eric O » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:33 pm

yay google earth!
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Courses