The Crucible -- Athens, GA

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

The Crucible -- Athens, GA

Postby the invisible tree » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:10 pm

I have seen the top of the mountain and it is good. This course is not regularly open for play so you'll get maybe two times per year to play it. The next chance will be sometime this fall at the Flying Eye Open. Do whatever you have to do to be there! Check this out! The low round in open was a 65!! This course is absolutely epic! I think the course record is held by Brad Hammock at 60. My words can not do it justice. If you like disc golf and want to be challenged to the fullest find a way to get out and play this course. I am going to be playing it everyday in my mind until October.
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby Jerry R » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:52 pm

Looks like some SERIOUS sandbaggers in Intermediate.
Jerry R
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Q Sentinel

Postby MDR_3000 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:01 pm

i'm pretty sure they played different tees than everyone else.
MDR_3000
I Throw Faaar

Postby the invisible tree » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:23 pm

MDR_3000 wrote:i'm pretty sure they played different tees than everyone else.

That's right. Even from the intermediate tees this course will be harder than 99% of courses out there. I just cannot say enough about it. It's very tough yet fun and fair. There is a good mixture of open and wooded holes and no silly "hit the 18" gap" nonsense.
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Grundlehammer » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:21 pm

Can you only get on for tourneys, or is there a way to get in for a regular round??
How can you be pissed? I did say "Fore." Duh!
Grundlehammer
Noob

Postby the invisible tree » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:01 pm

Grundlehammer wrote:Can you only get on for tourneys, or is there a way to get in for a regular round??

It's only for tournaments at this point. Look 6 posts from the bottom. The TD of this tourney talks about the next opportunities to play here. The Flying Eye Open on Oct. 13 & 14th looks like the next chance.
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Postby black udder » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:46 pm

why only for tournaments? I'm guessing there is some reason and now I'm curious :)
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby the invisible tree » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:51 pm

Because it is too eXtreme for everyday use!!!1111 Actually, some very cool folks come out and put baskets in for tournaments but remove them afterwards. Hopefully with the way disc golf is growing it can become a permanent course someday. I would most likely move to Athens if they ever put permanent baskets in the ground. I'm not sure exactly what the history of the land is but based on some of the stuff around it looks like it used to be a farm. I'm going to go out and play the singles tourney in October and will try to get some pictures to post on here.
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Postby black udder » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:37 pm

There is also the PDGA course in GA as well - actually I think it's 2 or 3 courses out near the new HQ.

GA seems to be a pretty cool DG place :)
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby the invisible tree » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:58 pm

black udder wrote:There is also the PDGA course in GA as well - actually I think it's 2 or 3 courses out near the new HQ.

GA seems to be a pretty cool DG place :)

I live in Augusta which is about 20 min from the HQ. I haven't gone out since it's officially opened because I've been so freakin' sick. I talked to one of the guys that's working on it and there are eventually going to be 4 courses out there. Two are open at present. The PDGA HQ building is going to be in the middle of a field and the courses will be at the compass points in relation to the building. The courses will run nine holes in and out of the woods (does that make sense?) so that you can mix and match nine holes from one course with 9 holes from another and have 8! courses you could potentially play.
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Postby the invisible tree » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:25 pm

Click Here for the course map. It doesn't look as nice on the map because there is no indication of all the elevation change. There are no flat holes on this course. I will try to shut up now.
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Return to Courses