Disc golf promised land

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Disc golf promised land

Postby uNicedmeMan » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:17 pm

If you could relocate to anywhere in the country, where would you go to be in closest proximity to the most and best disc golf?

I'd like to relocate myself to this mecca land
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby disc_golfing_fool » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:21 pm

North Carolina, halfway between Charlotte and Raleigh. IMHO, of course.
~~~some rise, some fall, some climb to get to Terrapin~~~
~~peace.love.disc~~

OM
disc_golfing_fool
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby domromer » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:39 pm

mmm, I'd like to maybe go to Florida, warm weather, good fishing , plenty of golf.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby roadkill » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:15 pm

domromer wrote:mmm, I'd like to maybe go to Florida, warm weather, good fishing , plenty of golf.

Florida would be among my last choices. There are a lot fewer courses than you might expect and I found the ones I played to be rather boring. Florida for the most part is a flat state. I love elevation changes in course design and they are very few and far between in the sunshine state. Now I've heard the Grand Canyon course is supposed to be fantastic with some nice hills and valleys but I believe it is the exception to the rule in FL.

I think Texas and North Carolina would be contenders for the moniker disc golf promised land. Michigan is probably nice parts of the year but kinda sucks during the winter.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby domromer » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:47 pm

I guess I like to have things to do when not playing golf..fish, swim, not shovel snow
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby mothrows » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:20 am

I've only played in 5 states, but Iowa would have to be tops for me. The Des Moines area is simply loaded with good courses.
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

Postby redspexxx » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:44 am

huntsville, alabama: the step-mother of disc golf. 10 courses in north alabama that are all within an hour, 4 about 15 min away from each other in huntsville, including the oldest still standing course, brahan springs, and a course so old in florence that the baskets were actually grandfathered into the pdga rule book. we hosted pdga worlds in 83 and 93(both won by the legend tom monroe who now teaches flying disc sports at samford university in birmingham). not to mention all the disc golf thats in the southern half of alabama. and houses are cheap too...
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby garublador » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:50 am

mothrows wrote:I've only played in 5 states, but Iowa would have to be tops for me. The Des Moines area is simply loaded with good courses.

It's great if you don't mind the sporatic weather and a cold winter. There are usually only a couple of big snowstorms each year, so it's not all that bad. You're also right inbetween KC and the Twin Cities so weekend disc golf trips are easy to do.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby superq » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:19 am

If it werent for the weather I would go with St.Louis. for a few reasons.

1. endicott
2. souix passage
3. Creve coure
4. Jefferson Barricks

and if you dont know about those reasons you need to take a trip to the STL.
superq
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FOCUS

Postby some call me...tim? » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:04 am

Yeah, from what I've heard NC would be my choice. TX has a ton of courses, but I don't think I could handle living in the land of Dubya. And NC is pretty temperate...gets hot and muggy in the summer and can get cold in the winter, but it's almost always tolerable. Plus you're pretty close to the PDGA headquarters and the USDGC. Plenty of fishing and swimming to be done too, if that's your thing. ;)
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby roadkill » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:02 pm

If you don't mind harsh winters or living in the boondocks you could live in Highbridge, Wi. http://www.highbridgehillssc.com/disc.html

Here they have four well designed 18 hole courses that are being played at this year's pro world championships and have plans to eventually expand to 10 courses. A lit nine hole course can be played at night. And if you have plans to raise a disc golf family they even have a disc golf summer camp and disc golf learning center.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby the_lung » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:49 pm

If I were moving strictly for disc golf, it would have to be one of:
  • Charlotte/Raleigh, NC
  • Des Moines, IA
  • Worcester, MA
But nobody does that.
the_lung
Noob

Postby Timko » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:27 pm

the_lung wrote:If I were moving strictly for disc golf, it would have to be one of:
  • Charlotte/Raleigh, NC
  • Des Moines, IA
  • Worcester, MA
But nobody does that.

Ah, not true. I graduate school in May, and I'm looking for towns that would cater to my industry and have a healthy disc golf scene. Right now Raleigh area is quite appealing for their active dg club and their tech job market.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby sleepy » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:10 pm

roadkill wrote:I think Texas and North Carolina would be contenders for the moniker disc golf promised land.

Agreed.

roadkill wrote:Michigan is probably nice parts of the year but kinda sucks during the winter.

Bah! Man-up and put on a coat!! :lol:

I love winter golf just as much as any other time of the year. It's quiet and peaceful out on the course, no groups of 14 casuals with a cooler and boombox to contend with, and it gives you a chance to keep your game up during the months when some of the competition goes into hibernation. That way you hit the ground running when the 'real' season picks up again in March and they're still trying to work out the kinks.

This Saturday's forecast:

High: 14°F RealFeel®: -6°F
Winds: WSW at 16mph
Wind Gusts: 31 mph
Mostly cloudy, breezy and colder with some snow, accumulating a coating to an inch

mmmmm, perfect! ;)

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Bruce » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:34 pm

I'm getting on a plane tomorrow night, here's the forecast for my destination
http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/94610.html

Mmmm, toasty 8)
Bruce
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Dx Roc

Next

Return to Courses