Disc golf promised land

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby domromer » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:34 pm

There was an object course in Perth for a little while, It was actually a little south just below Fremantle. Right at one of the beach parks. It was sweet. Now it's an apartment block :cry:
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby esip » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:48 pm

i have not lived in many other disc golf cities around the nation, but i can speak highly of Grand Rapids (west michigan). There are 7 nice courses within 20min of each other. Within an hour to three hours to the north there is ludington(mason county: 72 holes, leviathan: 24), Shelby: Flip City. About an hour east is Lansing (Grand Woods, Fitz, MSU). An hour south is Kalamazoo/Battle Creek where the 2008 Worlds are (Oshtemo, Coldbrook, Timberidge)

A little less than two hours east is Kensington Metro Park (Toboggan) and Hudson Mills Metro Park.
esip
Noob

Postby J-Man » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:16 pm

I gotta say, right where I am, Portland "the rose city" Oregon. Lots of courses, very active DG community - Oh, that Pacific Ocean 60 minutes away ain't bad either. The grass isn't that much greener than here in the Ard-galen.
Team Oregon Ambassador@Large
J-Man
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Midnightbiker » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:54 pm

Try Texas. Lots of courses around the state.
Listen to The Love Doctors on Real Radio 10am-3pm Eastern
Click here
http://www.wzzr.com/pages/the_lovedocs.html
Midnightbiker
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby Lowe » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:11 am

Charlotte NC. The highest concentration of top quality DG courses in NC, and they put in more all the time. They have a very active, hard working club, and you're only 1/2 hour drive from the USDGC. Renaissance is my favorite course of over 200 that I've played and reviewed. Hornet's Nest is really good too.
Lowe
Noob

Postby Seanzerelli » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:13 pm

For courses you don't have to pay for I bet the Texas DFW area is pretty money. There's about 15+ courses within it, and way more just outside.
Seanzerelli
Tree Magnet

Postby nickster9224 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:53 pm

man im gonna be lucky when i goto college in 2 years. goin to school in charlotte nc.
nickster9224
Tree Magnet

Postby jsgipson » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:18 pm

I live in St. Louis and wouldn't budge. I have three 18 hole courses within 10 minutes of my house. St. Louis is loaded. Winter is a drag and the August heat is brutal, but you get 7+ months worth of playing time. If you are ever in town you need to check out Quail Ridge, Jefferson Barracks, Endicott and Sioux Passage. There several others in the area, but these are the best of the lot.
jsgipson
Noob

Favorite Disc: D Buzzz

Postby tim » Thu May 29, 2008 8:18 am

I'd also say Charlotte, from my experience. It's my idea of a disc golf mecca. You have top notch courses and are a pretty easy weekend trip from a ton of amazing courses and tournaments. Great locals, too.

I've lived in both Massachusetts and in DFW Texas area, and wouldn't give top marks to either place. MA has great courses but they are spread out and the winter weather lasts forever and is brutal. Texas is great on the weather front and the courses are plentiful, but the quality of the courses is a lot lower on average -- they just don't have the right kind of land to make the truly spectacular courses you have in some other parts of the country.

I'd have to put a plug in for Spotsylvania/Fredericksburg, VA, as being one of the best places to be. They have a great local scene, a pair of excellent -- and very different -- public courses, and a couple of the best private courses I know of (Hawk Hollow and The Grange). And from what I've heard, they've got a couple other courses in the works. They're also well-positioned for weekend trips, 2-3 hours away from a lot of amazing courses and tournaments.

For me, a disc golf fantasy location isn't just the local courses but the proximity to other great courses and tournaments. I've got about a 4-hour driving cap on what I'm willing to do for a weekend tourney; size of tourney is proportional to how far I am willing to travel. Spotsy/Fredericksberg is really close to a lot of top-tier tournaments, which gives it bonus points. But the best part is that they really do have top-tier, amazing people as part of their club.
tim
2009 DGR Donator

Postby uNicedmeMan » Thu May 29, 2008 8:37 am

tim wrote:I'd also say Charlotte, from my experience. It's my idea of a disc golf mecca. You have top notch courses and are a pretty easy weekend trip from a ton of amazing courses and tournaments. Great locals, too.

I've lived in both Massachusetts and in DFW Texas area, and wouldn't give top marks to either place. MA has great courses but they are spread out and the winter weather lasts forever and is brutal. Texas is great on the weather front and the courses are plentiful, but the quality of the courses is a lot lower on average -- they just don't have the right kind of land to make the truly spectacular courses you have in some other parts of the country.

I'd have to put a plug in for Spotsylvania/Fredericksburg, VA, as being one of the best places to be. They have a great local scene, a pair of excellent -- and very different -- public courses, and a couple of the best private courses I know of (Hawk Hollow and The Grange). And from what I've heard, they've got a couple other courses in the works. They're also well-positioned for weekend trips, 2-3 hours away from a lot of amazing courses and tournaments.

For me, a disc golf fantasy location isn't just the local courses but the proximity to other great courses and tournaments. I've got about a 4-hour driving cap on what I'm willing to do for a weekend tourney; size of tourney is proportional to how far I am willing to travel. Spotsy/Fredericksberg is really close to a lot of top-tier tournaments, which gives it bonus points. But the best part is that they really do have top-tier, amazing people as part of their club.

but the worst police..... :(
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Previous

Return to Courses