The best course in USA

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

The best course in USA

Postby latitude » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:17 pm

If I sometime visit USA which course is the first I should visit then?
latitude
Fairway Surgeon

Postby MDR_3000 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:13 pm

West Lake -- Davenport, IA
MDR_3000
I Throw Faaar

Postby some call me...tim? » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:28 pm

Man, that's a hell of a question...you'd probably get lots of debate as to which is the best course in one state, let alone the whole country.

Judging by what the pros list as their favorite courses (they might have different standards than you though), I'd say the top 3 are:

Winthrop- Rockhill, SC
Delaveaga - Santa Cruz, CA
Water Works - Kansas City, MO

There are good courses in just about every state though. I'd say take into account what city(ies) you'd like to see, and see what kind of courses are close to there.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby domromer » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:48 pm

I can only speak for 2 states,

Arizona: Lake Mary Object course.

I may be biased, it was my backyard

It's the best course I've ever played peroid.

In Oregon I would say Whistlers Bend in Roseburg:
http://www.leftcoastdiscgolf.com/index. ... &catid=337

Information: Course Length: 6053 Average Hole Length: 336
14 Mach 3 d.g.a targets - only four more to go - and 4 "Tone Pole" targets, cement tees. Beautiful and challenging, nestled among the woods along the mighty Umpqua River, Whistlers Bend is by far one of Oregon's most beautiful disc golf settings. The tightly wooded front 9 is contrasted by the long and grueling back. Many extreme elevation and terrain changes plus lots of wildlife add to your golfing experience at this awesome course. There is group camping available at the park. Established in 1991

Image[url][/url]
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby some call me...tim? » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:53 pm

Dang, that makes me want to take a road trip! Have you hit up Milo McIver yet Dom?
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby domromer » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:58 pm

no not yet, I might go camping next weekend and play that and a few other courses up that way.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby Amateur » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:19 pm

DX is not allowed at that course :wink: .
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby the invisible tree » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:10 pm

Amateur wrote:DX is not allowed at that course :wink: .

You are so wrong dude. DX plastic is a great stress reliever for me. When I used to throw all premium plastic I got mad when I hit stuff. Now I'm just excited about how much better my disc will be the next time I throw it.
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby Dut » Mon May 07, 2007 8:17 pm

Tim_the_Enchanter wrote:Man, that's a hell of a question...you'd probably get lots of debate as to which is the best course in one state, let alone the whole country.

Judging by what the pros list as their favorite courses (they might have different standards than you though), I'd say the top 3 are:

Winthrop- Rockhill, SC
Delaveaga - Santa Cruz, CA
Water Works - Kansas City, MO

There are good courses in just about every state though. I'd say take into account what city(ies) you'd like to see, and see what kind of courses are close to there.

Winthrop is awesome. Several good courses in the Carolinas. Ever in the area Winthrop in Rock Hill and several in Charlotte are wonderful.
Dut
Tree Magnet

Postby roadkill » Wed May 09, 2007 7:08 pm

If your only concern is quality disc golf and other attractions aren't a priority I'd say heading out to Highbridge, Wisconsin (site of 2007 Pro Worlds) is a pretty good bet.

I played Highbridge Gold, Granite Ridge and Bluberry Hill in 2005. While I can't say they are the best courses I've ever played, all three are excellent in a beautiful setting among the Northern Wisconsin wilderness. Last time I looked Bluberry Hill was the highest ranked course in the PDGA evaluation program and the other two were also among the highest ranked in the US. They are all probably in the top 10-12 courses I've played and hole 1 for each course are all within 150 yards of each other. Park in one parking lot to play three courses with multiple pin placements. Not many disc golf destinations can claim that.

Another 54 hole facility is Codorus State Park in Hanover, Pa. Two 18 hole courses and two 9 hole courses. You can mix and match and play a combination of the four courses. Codorus is very scenic and very challenging with both open and tightly wooded holes. There are many breathtaking views of Lake Marburg and there are several elevated holes that overlook a marina. Codorus also boasts the only known public mini-disc golf course in a state park. Nine state of the art stainless steel mini baskets and nine teepads. (Of course if you like mini golf the mini disc capitol of the world, Lancaster, Pa is only an hour east of Codorus and home of 4 permanent mini disc courses and several of the best mini disc players in the world.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Rooster » Thu May 10, 2007 6:04 pm

1 word....Idlewild.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby TLapham » Tue May 15, 2007 10:59 pm

Maple Hill, MA. Part of the Marshall Street Disc Golf courses. Either one is a great course, MH just happens to be my favorite on the East Coast.
TLapham
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: CE Teebird

Postby Hoey » Wed May 16, 2007 12:46 pm

TLapham wrote:Maple Hill, MA. Part of the Marshall Street Disc Golf courses. Either one is a great course, MH just happens to be my favorite on the East Coast.

oh boy it's a sweet course if you find yourself near Central MA.
If anyone is in the area, I'd be glad to give a tour.
Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: fuse

Postby kendog » Wed May 16, 2007 8:03 pm

After spending about five weeks here, I believe the Dallas/Fort Worth area has the largest array of well manicured, challanging golf courses I could imagine this close together. I'm stuck down here until September on business, but as good as the golf is here, I'm seriously looking into relocating from Ohio when I finish this project.

Saturday I'm heading off to play what I'm told may be the nicest of those I've played so far......Waco. I'm excited. :D

happy trails where ever you go!
kendog
kendog
Noob

Postby kyflash » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:57 am

I played Idlewild yesterday in Burlington, Ky.
I have not seen a course that can touch it.
I plays long (over 8800 feet), very scenic, very challenging, is marked well.
It looks a lot like a ball golf course.
If you ever get within a few hours of the northern Ky/Cincy area, you owe it to yourself to play Idlewild.
kyflash
Noob

Next

Return to Courses