North East Course dilemma

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

North East Course dilemma

Postby kiscodisc » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:41 am

Ok next week is my spring break and I wanna check out either Pyramids in Mass, or nockamixon. Anyone care to give me their opinion on which is a better destination course, they are both a little over two hours from my place.
kiscodisc
Noob

Postby roadkill » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:02 pm

What kind of course do you prefer?

Wooded, open, mixed?

Unfortunately I haven't played pyramids yet.

I have played Nockamixon several times. If you like a tough wooded course with par3s 4s and 5s you may really enjoy Nockamixon. It is very pretty with several waterfalls and a stream and a lake that come into play. I believe the ssa is around 65 for 18 holes so if you go don't get discouraged when you card 4s and a few 5s. In 2005 the Pro World Championships played here for one of the courses and Masters World Champion Brad Hammock carded a 70 here so that gives you an idea of its difficulty.

The main complaint I've heard is the footing as there are a few holes that are pretty rocky that make a fairway runup risky. But the tees are decent and it is very beautiful and probably unlike any course you've ever played.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby bigs348 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:55 pm

Nockamixon is great, but only 14 holes right now. Because of bird nesting they had to pull 1-4 and haven't gotten the additional holes in yet. Not necessarily worth a ~2 hour drive just to play it by itself.

I would head up to Mass if I was you. Play a quick round at Pyramids and then go 1/4 mile across the street to Maple Hill and play one of the best courses in the Northeast.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby kiscodisc » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:35 pm

yeah Maple hill and pyramids were winning the internal debate. Nockmixon looks more like a real good summer course. I saw the dvd of worlds there and it looked phenominal, I just wouldn't want to drive that long and be shorted 4 holes. Is there any camping near maple hill and pyramids that anyone would recommend as a good sight?
kiscodisc
Noob

Postby deaddisc » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:32 am

I live about 30 minutes from Pyramids and Maple Hill and would say that if you arent scared of a long course then you should spend your time at Maple Hill. Maple Hill is easily one of the best courses I have ever played, and it has two seperate layouts so you can play there all day. (granted your arm will probably not be happy with your, nor you ego for that matter) If you have some extra time you should go about 1/2 hour towards CT and play Buffumville, but make sure you get all 27 in there as the back 9 are some of the best holes on the course.
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby kiscodisc » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:25 pm

Well I played Maple Hill today, don't know why I left my house 20-30 mph head winds and snow, but that course is sick! It was cold and there was around 9 inches of snow on the ground in some places but it was worth the two and a half hour drive. The airplanes tees and baskets are easly harder then Manchester, and maybe silver to silver at Warwick. Although they're differnt types of courses. I liked holes 8,9,12,14, the most. Good day but alas, lost a disc to the water. 1st hole airplane tee, silly strong headwind, went down on the pond. It was frozen, took one step out and heard a crack and pop decided to let it go! Can't wait to go back in the spring!
kiscodisc
Noob

Return to Courses