The best courses in the SE US?

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby ambiguous » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:11 pm

jist313 wrote:Nashville has a great course called Seven Oaks. It might be a little far but if your going through then check it out. Here is a site with some picks of it and discussion of each hole.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/derusha/index.html

I play Seven Oaks twice a week, its a great course. About 15 minutes up the road is Cedar Hill, which is like a longer, tougher Seven Oaks. Probably the best course I've ever played.
ambiguous
Noob

Postby mchristie » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:50 pm

From my limited experience this is my 2 cents:

Old Richmond Hill: Asheville, NC RIP
Victor Ashe Park: Knoxville, TN
Glenn C. Hilton: Hickory, NC
Mars Hill College: Mars Hill, NC

I play Black Mountain, NC a lot snce it's 5 minutes from my home, but I wouldn't drive any distance to play it.
Same with the Waynesville, NC courseit's a nice course, but kinda like throwing around in a field.
mchristie
Noob

Postby the invisible tree » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:38 pm

The Hippodrome in N. Augusta, SC is great in the original layout that was used for Worlds. Almost all the new holes (in the middle nine) are horrible. A few of them have no discernable fairway. A few of them have a fairway that is less than 2 discs wide. One of the new holes is in jump putt distance from the tee! Many of the wooded holes have been inexplicably covered with wood chips mixed with horse shit (no joke). I'm not sure why anyone felt a need to ruin a great course but they did. The original (gold) layout is one of the top courses I've played. The new (blue) layout is not worth the price of admission.
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby discrat » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:08 am

I agree with one of the previous posters. I have played over 55 courses from NY. down to Texas and Cedar Hill in Nashville is the best I have played. It never gets huge recognition on a National Level among the Pros. Not sure why because it is a hard and challenging course. Most difficult in Tennessee. And it has a great variety of shots and terrain.

I think we get KC or Barry Schultz to play it and they will be hooked. They will put it in their top 10 favs , no doubt. :)

P.S. No offense but I keep hearing about how great Richmond Hills is/was !!
Iam sorry to say when I played it a year or so ago , it did not impress me as anything great. Couldnt understand all the hype ?? Just an average run of the mill wooded course. Like dozens I have played before. Nothing memorable. JMHO

You need to go play Cottage Hill in Mobile, AL. Now thats a wooded course if i have ever played one. 8)
discrat
Noob

Postby jamsisjams » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:08 pm

The hype about Richmond Hill wasn't necessarily about the course; it was about the people as well. RH was fantastic b/c of its relative proximity (I only live 3 mins away) to the area's talent and rec players. It was rarely crowded (except towards the end) and had a multitude of shots so it was an amazing course to learn on. As I've traveled around the SE my perception of RH has changed, however, it remains my personal favorite course.
Tsunami-SOLF--JLS-Wasp-Buzzz--Wizard-Whitler

"Hit me with your wisdom, cow."
jamsisjams
1000 Rated Poster

Postby discrat » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:15 pm

Rereading my own post I think it seems even to me that I was blasting RH and degrading it. I didnt mean to even though it sounded like it.

First of all any community that comes together and works hard and diligently to create a disc golf course should be highly commended. RH was/is a really good course. I appreciate totally the Disc golf community in Asheville that developed and maintained it.

I was just looking at the relativity of RH compared to others I had played. And didnt mean to sound sooo harsh
discrat
Noob

Postby jamsisjams » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:47 pm

I'll let it slide this time, I suppose. :wink:

Yeah, it wasn't necessarily the most challenging tight, wooded course in the Appalachians, NC or even the SE but arguably one of the more rewarding ones.

Plus it had the loops. How many other courses are there that loop back to the parking lot after the first nine with easy access to the back nine? Really, though, it just dawned on me that I have yet to see that from another course, albeit in my limited travels and experience.
Tsunami-SOLF--JLS-Wasp-Buzzz--Wizard-Whitler

"Hit me with your wisdom, cow."
jamsisjams
1000 Rated Poster

Previous

Return to Courses