North Jersey/Southern NY DG Trip

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

North Jersey/Southern NY DG Trip

Postby deaddisc » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:18 am

So my friend and I are going to Warwick on Memorial Day weekend for a little DG vacation. We know that we want to play Warwick and Campgaw, are there any other courses within an hour of those two that we should try and check out?
Also, any advice on a decent campground near that North Jersey/Southern NY area? I have found High Point in NJ, but that is half an hour south of Warwick.
Thanks in advance
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby ericdmb » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:27 am

once you all 4 layouts at Warwick, I think you will be as happy as you can get!
www.bearclaws.org

"Life is short but sweet for certain"
ericdmb
Tree Magnet

Postby bigs348 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:30 am

And Wolfe Woods, too. In the same park as Warwick, just deep in the woods. I know the locals play it all the time, not sure how well marked or anything it is.

You should check out www.nynjdiscgolf.com, the Skylands club has all the info on up there. They have a forum, too, and you might get some good info or perhaps a guide.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby deaddisc » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:41 am

Oh we will def be playing all four layouts, as well as wolf woods. We have friday through Monday to disc, so time isnt really an issue. Thanks for the replies thusfar, I'll check out that site.
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby kiscodisc » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:21 pm

Wolf Woods is all set, marked out and what not now. It has a full 18 now as well. Other places to check out FDR state park in new york and Mount Kisco in New York. Kisco is my home course. If you want an honest opinion I've played wolf woods, don't waste your time. Kisco is far better for a wooded type course with lots of elevation changes, but poor tee pads. When ever I go to warwick I just spend my time on the animal course (main course).

FDR is pretty sweet, front 9 are in the woods and pretty tough. Back 9 is more open but not lacking trees. If you want more info let me know I can get as specific as you want, I've played all these courses plenty o' times.
no whamie, no whamie, no whamie!
kiscodisc
Noob

Postby disc_golfing_fool » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:22 pm

KD,
when was the last time you played wolfe woods? Have you played the long tees?
It has recently been completed, 18 holes, and the locals have put in tons of time and work to get in bridges and do tons of clearing in the last year or so.

Frankly, I disagree that kisco is a better woods course. My opinion only.

--------------
To the original poster, if you enjoy technical courses, then by all means you should play wolfe woods while you are at warwick. WW is very different than the animal layout, and both are fantastic. Wolfe Woods has some incredible unique shots that I have not seen any where else. Fun short course from the short tees, and some real bombs from the long tees.
Getting a local to show you around WW will save you some time. Post on our MB at the URL bigs posted, and you'll prolly find somebody to show you around.

Regards,
steve
8)
~~~some rise, some fall, some climb to get to Terrapin~~~
~~peace.love.disc~~

OM
disc_golfing_fool
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby disc_golfing_fool » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:24 pm

Campgaw is a fun course too.
It is currently in the winter layout, single hike up and around and down the mountain. Very woodsy, billy goat golf.
~~peace.love.disc~~

OM
disc_golfing_fool
Tree Magnet

Postby kiscodisc » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:36 pm

Haven't played Wolf woods in a couple months. It is undeniable that the locals do a bang up job at warwick and wolf woods, everything is always so nicely kept. I just gotta represent for my home course you know. I'll have to get out on Wolf Woods next time I'm up there.
no whamie, no whamie, no whamie!
kiscodisc
Noob

Postby deaddisc » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:32 am

Thanks for the tips guys
I think we are going to be concentrating our efforts on Warwick, Wolfe Woods, and Campgaw as they are all very close to each other as well as our campground. Maybe play FDR or Heroes on the way home, but other than that we will be playing as many rounds as possible on all of the amazing looking layouts that Warwick has to offer.
Thanks again
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby disc_golfing_fool » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:56 am

~~peace.love.disc~~

OM
disc_golfing_fool
Tree Magnet

Postby roadkill » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:57 pm

deaddisc wrote:Maybe play FDR or Heroes on the way home