Minnapolis/St Paul course

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Minnapolis/St Paul course

Postby tchamber » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:08 pm

Any recommendations on a course nearby the U of M campus? My wife and I are going to be in the area for a wedding and have time for ONE round. What's the closest course to the U, and what's the best course within 45 minutes?

Thanks guys!
star valks - dx gazelles - kc & dx rocs - champ classic roc - glow wizard - soft warlock
tchamber
Noob

Re: Minnapolis/St Paul course

Postby scoot_er » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:59 am

tchamber wrote:Any recommendations on a course nearby the U of M campus? My wife and I are going to be in the area for a wedding and have time for ONE round. What's the closest course to the U, and what's the best course within 45 minutes?

Thanks guys!

I don't know how far away it is but Kaposia was my favorite course during the MN Majestic. Blake would know how to get there probably.
scoot_er
1000 Rated Poster

Postby garublador » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:23 am

The best, closest course is probably Acorn Park in Roseville. I'd guess it's a 15 or so minute drive from the U. (All times are assuming it's not rush hour)

Kaposia is really good but it would be in the closer to 45 minutes away category. North Valley and Oakwood are really good too, but farther than Kaposia (but in the same general area, southeast of the airport while the U is north)

The Hyland Ski and Snowboard area has a good course, but I'm not sure when it opens back up. It's a pay to play ($3 for a round, $5 for the day) so it's kept up really well. Expect to get tired playing there, though. I'd estimate it closer to 30 minutes away.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby kvanorsdel » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:39 am

I'll be heading up to the Twin Cities the fisrt couple of days of May. Is there a place I can go that will tell me the status of each course? My big concern is going to the park to find out the baskets have been pulled or the course is closed for some reason.

Also suggestions as to the top 5 would be great. I'll have all day while my wife is at a conference to play so travel time is not really a concern, however I will have my two young girls with me so the courses needs to be somewhat stroller friendly
kvanorsdel
Fairway Surgeon

Postby garublador » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:12 am

kvanorsdel wrote:I'll be heading up to the Twin Cities the fisrt couple of days of May. Is there a place I can go that will tell me the status of each course? My big concern is going to the park to find out the baskets have been pulled or the course is closed for some reason.

Also suggestions as to the top 5 would be great. I'll have all day while my wife is at a conference to play so travel time is not really a concern, however I will have my two young girls with me so the courses needs to be somewhat stroller friendly

http://www.playdg.com might be a good resource. http://www.mfaonline.org/ is another good one.

It seems to me like the southeast side of the cities is probably your best bet if you want to check out the best courses in the area. Kaposia, Oakwood, North Valley and CP Adams are all down there. That first link will give you some pretty good pictures to determine how stroller friendly you'll find them.

If you have a stroller I'd avoid Hyland Hills Ski and Snowboard Area (too hilly), Plymouth Creek (last time I was there it was really difficult to get across the creek even without a stroller) and Bryant Lake (there's a hole or two that might be too hilly for strollers).
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby The Clergyman » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:45 am

I played Acorn a couple of summers ago and it was not fun. ASSUMING I am correctly recalling that it was indeed Acron I played, I would have to NOT recommend it.
The morning dew made it muddy. It's tight and thick like crazy in parts so if you throw a disc off the line you're not going to like it. Plus, some baskets were missing in lieu of tree trunks stuffed into the post holes - that made them really hard to see when you don't know the course.
I'd travel west a few miles to Lion's Park II. It's a wide open course but they've made pretty good use of fences and the trees that are there. Plus ther's a big pond that plays into two holes that are a lot of fun. You won't lose your disc (unless water) and the course is clear, open and easy to navigate.
My rec. 8)
Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.
~Dr.Seuss
The Clergyman
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z XL...or not

Postby garublador » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:02 am

The Clergyman wrote:I played Acorn a couple of summers ago and it was not fun. ASSUMING I am correctly recalling that it was indeed Acron I played, I would have to NOT recommend it.
The morning dew made it muddy. It's tight and thick like crazy in parts so if you throw a disc off the line you're not going to like it. Plus, some baskets were missing in lieu of tree trunks stuffed into the post holes - that made them really hard to see when you don't know the course.
I'd travel west a few miles to Lion's Park II. It's a wide open course but they've made pretty good use of fences and the trees that are there. Plus ther's a big pond that plays into two holes that are a lot of fun. You won't lose your disc (unless water) and the course is clear, open and easy to navigate.
My rec. 8)

They did get the baskets replaced at Acorn, or at least they were there early last spring. When I first started, I would have agreed with you regarding Acorn vs. Lions Park. However, after I improved a bit I found Lions Park to be a bit boring (lots of open shots) and Acorn was a bit more fun because of the variety. That being said, I'll agree that Lions Park is normally a more plesant experience than Acorn because of the advantages you listed. I've never seen more than a couple people on the course at any one time and there's very little mud or oppertunities to lose a disc. I like the little arrows on the basket signs that point to the next hole, too. If you do play Lions, be prepared to play in some wind, though.

So, if you're alright at staying in the fariway and/or don't mind looking for your disc in the wood a bit, Acorn might be more interesting if you're looking for a more serious round. If you want a more pleasant, recreational round, Lions Park in Shakopee is a better choice.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby kvanorsdel » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:11 pm

So I'm heading to the Twin Cities next week. Is there a good site for me to go that will tell me which courses are in the ground and which are not?

Any Twin Cities players want to hook up for a round or two?
kvanorsdel
Fairway Surgeon

Postby garublador » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:54 am

kvanorsdel wrote:So I'm heading to the Twin Cities next week. Is there a good site for me to go that will tell me which courses are in the ground and which are not?

Any Twin Cities players want to hook up for a round or two?

Those two I listed above are probably the best. Contacting Blake would be a good choice, too.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby mcrow » Thu May 03, 2007 11:51 am

Not sure if you are here already or not, but:

Highland Park is a decent 9 holer and is close to the U of M. Haven't played there in a while, but it was pretty good last time I was there.

Acorn is not the best course for beginners with all the tight holes, but if you have been playing for a while you will like that it is challenging.

I'll be at Sunnyside Park after work today (~5pm).
mcrow
Noob

Return to Courses