Houston Area Courses

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Houston Area Courses

Postby ferretdance03 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:04 am

So I am going to Houston for about a week in July. Now the obvious question, what courses should I play?

I looked at the course directory, and there is definitely not a shortage of courses, I'm just hoping for some help determining which ones are worth the time for a visitor.

I am going to have a rental car, but I'd like to keep the travel to under 50 miles or so. I'm hoping to hit 2-3 courses a day, depending on the heat and travel required.

So, for all the locals, what courses would you take an out-of-towner to play to see the best Houston and the surrounding areas has to offer?
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby matchu » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:51 am

I would take a local to oak meadows for a round, maybe head downtown for the scenic mozola, it is 9 holes but well worth the drive, on the way to Tom Bass which has two courses.

oak meadow
mozola
bass

do you know what side of town you will be staying?
matchu
Fairway Surgeon

Postby ferretdance03 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:04 pm

Oak Meadows and Tom Bass are definitely on my list.
From what Mapquest shows me, I am thinking that I am going to be smack in the middle.
Look here.
Thanks for the response.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ferretdance03 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:34 pm

Alright, I'm still planning the Houston trip.

What courses are must play and what courses are not?
Any locals want to play tour guide to some out of town golfers July 25-28?
Thanks!
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby warlocks00 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:53 am

I am not a local, and have only played one course in the Houston area while down there to watch a Steelers vs. Texan game last year. We stayed at my Aunts house in the Woodlands, and played that course. It was a fun course to me....mainly because it actually had trees to throw through...very unlike anything we have in my area. But like I say, I don't know how it compares to other area courses.
Warlock Disc Golf
warlocks00
Tree Magnet

Postby matchu » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:59 pm

you are very close to a nine hole downtown called mozola. although we are losing hole to a skatepark being built. There is also a course at a ball golf course and it just rocks. 9 holes are on the ball course and there is like 18 or 19 holes that are finesse through the woods surrounding the course. You can actually play the entire course. You might need a local to show you. errhmm cough cough... me me me!

go to hfds.org and you can get addtional info.
matchu
Fairway Surgeon

Postby ferretdance03 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:57 pm

matchu wrote:You might need a local to show you. errhmm cough cough... me me me!

Like I said, we'll be there from the 25th to 28th and would love to have someone show us around the courses. We'll probably be playing pretty early in the day to try and beat the majority of the heat, but we'll be free all day!

If you want we can exchange numbers and try to meet up if you're free any of those days.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby matchu » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:37 pm

can you leave Saturday open to play the spring valley ball/disc course? Or oak meadows aka black horse? I will be happy to show you a round these courses. Bring water disc.
matchu
Fairway Surgeon

Postby ferretdance03 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:59 pm

Definitely! Obviously I don't know the area or courses at all, but would it be possible to do both on Saturday? I'm trying to be as tired as possible when I return to work!
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby matchu » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:36 am

yes we can play both, just hard to leave spring valley to play something else so maybe we can play that second. You will be tired when you are done.

I just took off Friday the 27th, to show around if you like! Either way I am playing some golf!
matchu
Fairway Surgeon

Postby ferretdance03 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:55 pm

You are the man! Friday would be sweet. Another day where we can just get to a course and play without searching is a good day to me!

I'm staying at the Hyatt (?) on Louisiana, right down town. My dad and brother are staying a little bit out further, but I think it's only a couple of miles difference. Plus they'll have a rental car, come pick me up, and we can figure out a good place to meet up.

Guided golf at new courses, I'm getting excited!
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby matchu » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:34 am

I live a few minutes from downtown in the city of Bellaire (insert fresh prince)
I will look into a place to meet maybe somewhere we can get something to eat?
matchu
Fairway Surgeon

Postby AciDBatH666 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:32 pm

You guys still doing this? I'll be in Houston this weekend visiting a friend in The Woodlands. And im interested in playing at least SOME course other than the 2 dinky ones in the woodlands area.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby matchu » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:25 pm

SURE ARE, I am picking these guys up at there hotel to begin the tour on Friday. pm me for my number as we will be up in the woodlands area on gosling playing spring valley
matchu
Fairway Surgeon

Postby matchu » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:38 am

well, I know I had a great time and the bad weather managed to hold off all weekend. I met up with Brad and his brother and father downtown and drove them way out to the boonies to play spring valley ball/disc course. We have had lots of rain so water up in places water does not exist normally. I believe a total of 5 disc went into the drink between the four of us. I did manage to shoot my best on the 18 finesse course of a 61 and brad had a 63? Brad did out shoot me on the power 9 course which is on the ball golf course. This was not my best by any means. fun time and I really enjoyed being a tour guide, makes me think or daydream about a full time disc golf tourguide. now how fun would that be?
matchu
Fairway Surgeon

Next

Return to Courses