Courses you hate

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby plastic_fondler » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:32 am

The Toboggan was my favorite new courses played this year and is on my top 5 list. Really emphasized course management and playing within your game. To each there own though...
plastic_fondler
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: firebird

Postby daytondiscer » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:05 pm

Sycamore Trails, Miamisburg OH. First two holes have to be the most poorly designed holes ive ever seen. Most of the baskets have large trees within a foot away. So you have to throw a crazy hyzer putt or throw your midrange past the basket and putt from the other side. They claim it took years to plan out. Maybe they overthought it.
daytondiscer
Noob

Postby BenKrishman » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:20 pm

I wouldn't say I hate it, but I don't like Will Rogers in OKC. It's a really short course, so I throw my putters on 80% of the holes. The one thing that really bothers me is many of the teepads are narrow and short, and after many years of rain much of the ground around the pad has washed away so many of the teepads are a foot above the ground which really confines you to the shape and size of the pad(which I don't like). It has decent shot variety and elevation change so it's not a bad course at all, i just don't like to play it often at all.
BenKrishman
Tree Magnet

Postby geoloseth » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:45 pm

Ive played many courses all over the country and very few really stand out as being supurb. So I suggest this to all the people on here that don't have a fantastic courses near them; make up your own course from the ones you have. I've found that many courses that don't play well forward play incredibly well backwards. Greenbelt park here in Dallas is a prime example. Forward all it is are hyzer shots and putts. Backward you have tunnel shots, anhyzers, placement drives, about 4 par 4s and a 1000' par five that Snakes along a sidewalk with large trees on the other side.

Just take what you have and make it better. It really isn't that hard to make a good course out of nothing much. It takes a real effort to make a pitch'n'putt course.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby BenKrishman » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:23 pm

geoloseth wrote:Ive played many courses all over the country and very few really stand out as being supurb. So I suggest this to all the people on here that don't have a fantastic courses near them; make up your own course from the ones you have. I've found that many courses that don't play well forward play incredibly well backwards. Greenbelt park here in Dallas is a prime example. Forward all it is are hyzer shots and putts. Backward you have tunnel shots, anhyzers, placement drives, about 4 par 4s and a 1000' par five that Snakes along a sidewalk with large trees on the other side.

Just take what you have and make it better. It really isn't that hard to make a good course out of nothing much. It takes a real effort to make a pitch'n'putt course.

Do you mean play from the teepad of one hole to the basket of the last hole?(i.e. play to the 17 basket from the 18 teepad)

One thing a few of my friends and I have done is to go to parks in neighborhoods we are familiar with and make our own course in the park, either playing to trees or lightpoles. It's not as challenging as having a basket, but we usually make up for it with difficult tee shots. It's a lot of fun as long as the park isn't crowded(we sometimes have to skip holes due to people in the area, we can't expect people to know what we're doing there) but we just make up another one to get a full 18 in. The only hard part is describing to your friends which of the 10 trees 350' away you're talking about, :P
BenKrishman
Tree Magnet

Postby geoloseth » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:30 am

What we usually do is play from one pin to another. In the case of the 1000' hole, we started off playing it from the sidewalk that runs along the "fairway". After each round we felt like that hole would be even better if we moved back a little. So that's what we kept doing. This is one case where a longer hole is better. Another example is a 350-400 downhill shot. Before it was just a matter of throwing something down there, but last time we just stepped off to the left of the teepad to put a tree right in your way. so now you had to either throw a massive anhyzer shot, lay up at the bottom of the hill, or try to get power on a disc but still keep it under some hanging branches that block the line. If a hole isn't hard enough, then make it harder. Sometimes it's just a matter of moving a few feet in one direction.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby topcide » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:08 am

i completely agree with sleepy about toboggon, i think it is one of the most overrated courses. And im not saying that due to it's difficulty,
it's due to with a few exceptions, it is the same shot over and over and over again.
topcide
Noob

Postby Banzai » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:06 am

Played Ninigret Park in RI this weekend for the first and last time.

Holes 3, 4, 5 were completely missing. Wasted an hour looking.

Poison ivy *everywhere*! The fairways are covered in it. 2 different times I caught my toe under a poison ivy vine and it rolled up my shoe and cut my ankle. I'm lucky it's not in my bloodstream.

Mosquitoes.

Many of the baskets are homemade with tires, plywood, and not consistent sizes.

We ended up skipping the last 4 holes we got so sick of it.

The only plus side was that there was a reggae festival happening, so at least we got to listen to some good music.
Banzai
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Ridge

Postby worthdan » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:46 am

I hate disc golf courses full of douche bags. could be any random course at any random time... i've only experienced this once or twice though. a douche bag here or there is acceptable, i just hate it when they hold there conventions at the course i'm at.
worthdan
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby discndav » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:31 pm

I walked off after 5 holes last October at Ninigret Park in RI, it was just horrible.
discndav
Noob

Postby matchu » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:51 pm

worthdan wrote:I hate disc golf courses full of douche bags. could be any random course at any random time... i've only experienced this once or twice though. a douche bag here or there is acceptable, i just hate it when they hold there conventions at the course i'm at.

amen, as this has nothing to do with the course as it does with the inhabitants
Synchronize the why’s, the if’s the lies. Shake and sift through the mess. Digress the flesh left is our disguise.

matchu
matchu
Fairway Surgeon

Postby pointdisc » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 pm

West Bend, WI; TERRIBLE!!!

9-holer, first 2 and last one are in the open, NO obstacle. The other 6 are in obstacle hell. There are NO fairways in hell. Just a teepad and a basket through the woods. Little to no thought on where to put them and all fairly short. It's pretty much a "look how close I got due to blind luck and plinco-ing off 38 trees, a couple small rocks, and a lawn gnome that left me with a 34' put through the Amazon rainforest" for these six holes. One of the teepads for the open holes is directly on the side of a hill. WORST uphill teepad ever, seriously. 20 feet forward or backward and bam, level teepad, but luckily they put it on the side of hill.

Never would have stopped if I knew this ahead of time, but it was on my home.

pd
Rhyno - Element X - Eagle - Firebird - SOLF - QOLS
CLICK HEREto sign up for instant DGR karma!!!
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby MR. WICK » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:51 pm

I hate Buffumville Lake, for some reason I just play like crap every time I am there and the layout is absolutely dumb. I actually feel bad for hating it because I know a lot of the guys that put a lot of effort into making it what it is. But the design is just bad......ANOTHER blind righty hyzer and this fairway crosses this one and then that one....but wait for them to throw before you throw. The tee pads are great though.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby some call me...tim? » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:56 am

It's hard for me to "hate" any disc golf course, but I had a chance to be horribly disappointed by a course over the weekend. I had labor day off and got a chance to play Crystal Mountain, a course set up at a ski resort that plays up and down the slopes. I'd heard people rave about mountain courses, how they're so fun to play, blah blah blah. I was stoked to give it a whirl...I was soon let down though. It's kinda cool to be able to throw discs a mile when shooting way downhill, but the novelty wears off quickly. Besides that, it's mostly just wide open fairways and dealing with wind and elevation...no obstacles to speak of, and just long holes. *yawn* Fortunately, the scenery was gorgeous, and it was a good hike, so it wasn't a wasted day. I'm glad I had the chance to experience a "mountain course", but I don't really have any desire to go back again.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby metal » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:53 am

Maximo in st pete, FL: course is alright but its a meeting place for homos too. Guys always walk through looking at you like want some head? I stay away from that course now.
North water tower park in sarasota, FL: course would be awesome if it wasnt run by little hood rats. Ive found crack pipes and needles out there. Rubbers galore. Hookers take there Johns out there. sad.
metal
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Challenger

PreviousNext

Return to Courses