Par 2 course?

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Par 2 course?

Postby dflaschiii » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:40 pm

You know how there are par 3 courses for golf? Has anyone made the disc equivalent, a par 2 course? Would take up little space, could be installed in smaller parks. Maybe disc golf isn't popular enough for that sort of thing yet. The same goes for a disc golf driving range -- could be cool idea so people could sample discs before they bought them, but I suppose the sport needs to get bigger for that to happen.
dflaschiii
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:54 pm
Location: Reno, NV

Postby Will Aubrey » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:15 pm

I see one inherent problem with a driving range for disc golf. You would want to retrieve your discs which could lead to serious injury LOL.
Will Aubrey
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 353
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:15 pm

Postby roadkill » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:22 pm

For the most part par 2 is very boring.

I used to be an avid miniature golf player and critiqued many courses wherever I traveled. Courses that had all par 2 holes were the least enjoyable. The only way to shoot under par is to hit a hole in one. Sure a good player may get a hole in one from time to time but the majority of the time you're tapping in for boring pars.

There is a par 2 tiki course on a private course in Va known as the Grange. It's a putting course with baskets in the 50-100' range. It's a novelty that's fun when you're there already to play the other two "real" courses but I doubt that many people would go to the Grange if the tiki course was the only venue.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1317
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:56 pm
Location: in the truck
Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby AciDBatH666 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:20 pm

I wouldnt wanna play any par 2 courses either.
I went to Houston a couple of weeks ago to visit a friend of mine in the Woodlands. I only got to check out 2 courses, one was a 9 hole, and the other was an 18 hole. The 18 hole one had nearly 75% of the holes under 200 feet.
I finished 11 down... And I wanted to gag. It wasn't fun at all. You dont get to see that awesome 350 foot drive flexing thru trees or anything really exciting. It was all approach, and putt...
wash rinse repeat.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1538
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 2:37 pm
Location: Lafayette, LA
Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Re: Par 2 course?

Postby Desafinado » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:42 pm

dflaschiii wrote:The same goes for a disc golf driving range -- could be cool idea so people could sample discs before they bought them, but I suppose the sport needs to get bigger for that to happen.


The idea of a driving range is part of my 'win the lottery' daydream scenario, along with three par 72 disc golf courses fully tricked out with water hazards, all terrain golf carts, and a little inn for out of town players to stay, along with bar and grill while i'm dreaming.

I imagine there would be 8-10 'stalls' on the driving range, with baskets on top of raised mounds at varying distance from the throwing line going out to 600 ft, with all of the distances marked. There would be poles with flags indicating wind distance and speed near the throwing stalls.

At the pro shop, customers would buy tokens($2 for twenty discs?) for the range machine, just like many BG ranges. The machine would have a limited variety of different disc types, and you'd place a tray under the dispensing slot and put in your token, choosing which disc you'd like to throw. A stack of twenty would deposit down onto the tray, then you go chuck them all, and to Will Aubrey's point, you wouldn't bother retrieving them- that would be the job of a staff member at the Desafinado Disc Golf Complex.

It would be nice to be able to have folks throw their own discs, but if it were a range seeing heavy use, it could be tricky. Perhaps a traffic light that would indicate green for a period of time for throwing, and then switch to red while everyone went out to recover discs.

Ahhh, daydreams...
Desafinado
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:26 pm
Location: norcal
Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Re: Par 2 course?

Postby deaddisc » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:34 am

Desafinado wrote:
dflaschiii wrote:The same goes for a disc golf driving range -- could be cool idea so people could sample discs before they bought them, but I suppose the sport needs to get bigger for that to happen.


The idea of a driving range is part of my 'win the lottery' daydream scenario, along with three par 72 disc golf courses fully tricked out with water hazards, all terrain golf carts, and a little inn for out of town players to stay, along with bar and grill while i'm dreaming.

I imagine there would be 8-10 'stalls' on the driving range, with baskets on top of raised mounds at varying distance from the throwing line going out to 600 ft, with all of the distances marked. There would be poles with flags indicating wind distance and speed near the throwing stalls.

At the pro shop, customers would buy tokens($2 for twenty discs?) for the range machine, just like many BG ranges. The machine would have a limited variety of different disc types, and you'd place a tray under the dispensing slot and put in your token, choosing which disc you'd like to throw. A stack of twenty would deposit down onto the tray, then you go chuck them all, and to Will Aubrey's point, you wouldn't bother retrieving them- that would be the job of a staff member at the Desafinado Disc Golf Complex.

It would be nice to be able to have folks throw their own discs, but if it were a range seeing heavy use, it could be tricky. Perhaps a traffic light that would indicate green for a period of time for throwing, and then switch to red while everyone went out to recover discs.

Ahhh, daydreams...


My girl and I were talking about this the other day and the best thing we came up with IMO was having a large conveyor belt running under the entire length of the range. Then when your disc stopped flying and fell to the ground it would be brought back to you via the belt. Realistically though this probably could never happen due to cost, so instead get a net to rip into like Chuck Kennedy was talking about at some worlds.
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:11 pm
Location: Worcester

Postby garublador » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:53 am

This is as close as I've played:

http://www.playdg.com/moir/

It would be closer to a par 2 if they had decent baskets, but I suppose those cone things add to the difficulty some and make it a bit more fun.
garublador
Disc Whore
 
Posts: 3459
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:37 am
Location: Urbandale, IA

Postby AciDBatH666 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:15 am

garublador wrote:This is as close as I've played:

http://www.playdg.com/moir/

It would be closer to a par 2 if they had decent baskets, but I suppose those cone things add to the difficulty some and make it a bit more fun.



Wow thats scary lookin. Like some mini water towers or somethin. I can't imagine getting an ace on one of those things unless its all basket.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1538
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 2:37 pm
Location: Lafayette, LA
Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Disc gofl range

Postby jist313 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:31 pm

I know the Sinks in Chattanooga has a disc golf range next to the course. It has the distances marked off every 50ft with small signs. When there were many people out there everyone would throw together and retrieve together. Sometimes there would be a designated fetcher. The DF was the closest thing we had to the moving target ball retrieving cart.
jist313
Noob
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:31 pm
Location: Princeton, NJ


Return to Courses

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest