Wisconsin

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby pointdisc » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:05 pm

Anyone lookin to get out in the Waupun, Beaver Dam, Fon du Lac are let me know. Just moved to Waupun and I'm lookin for some people to play a couple rounds with. Feel free to PM me.

pd
Rhyno - Element X - Eagle - Firebird - SOLF - QOLS
CLICK HEREto sign up for instant DGR karma!!!
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby rusch_bag » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:51 am

In regards to my previous post about a course in Waterloo, I haven't personally played it yet but a few of my friends have. I don't know if it is 9 or 18 or if it has cement tee pads or anything but I know it has a couple decent length holes and there are also a few water holes. It is located at Firemens Park.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby rusch_bag » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:35 am

Okay, I went and played at Waterloo's course this morning and hated it. There was no direction as to where you were supposed to go, no teepads of any kind, the holes did not follow one another in anyway what so ever so you had to walk a decent way to get to each of the holes, the buckets are placed in really dumb spots - for example, one hole was 2 feet away from a fence, it has those innova baskets with the yellow tops and half the chains are already rusty and the coure has been up for no more than a month, and the last hole ends at least a half mile away from where you have to park to play hole 1. I hated it.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Postby khanti » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:22 am

I just moved to the Appleton area a few months ago and have had a chance now to play most of the courses in the area, many of them several times. Ranked in order of my favorites:

Plamann : A gorgeous 27 hole course in great shape with a variety of challenges. A must play if you're in the area.
O'Hauser : My 'home' course. Each 9 plays like a different course, one is fairly open, the other mostly wooded. A little flat, but a tough course (for me, anyhow), I just can't seem to play all 18 well, it's one 9 or the other from day to day. Keeps it interesting. Thursday League plays here.
Winnebago Cty Park in Oshkosh : Brand new, only 15 holes, and completely flat, but wind almost always is a factor. Make good use of water and trees where possible. Since it's new, it's still in great shape and seldom busy.
Gringon : A nice course, but over-rated in my opinion. Maybe I'm just bitter because the park administrator yanked the pin for #4 due to vandalism (both the vandalism and the park's reaction to it rub me the wrong way). Lots of elevation changes which is nice. Makes for a good workout.
Telulah : A lot of variety, some narrow wooded fairways, some wide open, nice elevation changes. Beautiful views of the Fox River in places. Not rated higher in my list due to erosion and vandalism. Wed night league p[lays here.
Red Arrow in Oshkosh : Poorly marked, highly eroded and vandalized. Nice layout though. I suspect it was once a very nice course.

There are a bunch of little 9-holers around too, but i've only played two of them, Kimberly High School and Pierce Park. The Kimberly course has some pretty awful tee pads, sunken mini-ponds with ankle-breakers for borders and not too well marked, but a fun, short course. Pierce Park was fun too, well marked, challenging in parts and one I'll likely play again.
khanti
Noob

Postby ratpfink » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:06 am

khanti, the pin for #4 at Gringon is back. I haven't been to Pierce or Telulah but I agree with the rest of what you wrote. Plamann is fantastic. I haven't done the "extra 9" in a long time. The last time I did there were dead deer parts near the pin on one hole.

You must get to Silver Creek Park in Manitowoc. If it's not the best course in NE WI, then it's tied with Plamann for that honor.

If you ever get up to Green Bay, Pamperin is the best course, but it's $2 to play(I guess they had to pay for those cobblestone tees somehow) and it uses the same 9 baskets to make an 18 hole course. This says a lot about the quality of courses in this area. I'd much rather drive the half hour to Plamann than play anything up here. Pinecrest isn't bad if you hit it up before the rough gets too rough unless you enjoy spending forever looking for discs. I'm not sure if they knock all that crap down more than once a year, but try it out sometime in early May next year. Triangle/Bairds Creek is ok, but pretty dirty most of the time and the dirt tee pads are extremely worn. Some are to the point where the pro and recreational tees have merged into one giant tee.

The course in Kewaunee is extremely challenging. You can see a decent picture tour of it somewhere on the web.
ratpfink
Noob

Postby khanti » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:29 pm

Excellent. I had to go see for myself today and played Gringon twice to celebrate! I'll plan on going over to Silver Creek Park next weekend. Sounds like a nice course!
khanti
Noob

Postby ratpfink » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:01 pm

I went to O'Hauser(and Plamann!) today. What happened to the tee signs? They were all gone.
ratpfink
Noob

Postby khanti » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:57 pm

There's a sign on the bulletin board saying they yanked them because of recent vandalism. They feared the signs would be damaged. I'm going out there on Friday morning to pick up trash and such. Hopefully if enough people help clean it up they'll put 'em back up.

Bummer though. There's so many nice courses around here and people feel the need to destroy them. I just don't get it.
khanti
Noob

Postby ratpfink » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:01 pm

I played the Hatten Stadium Park course in New London tonight. It's not too far from Appleton and worth the trip. I put it up there with Plamann and Silver Creek. My only quibble is that the concrete tees are almost too short. Also some of the last few holes are just open straight shots that aren't very exciting. On the plus side, they provide a scorecard/map for you at the first tee!
ratpfink
Noob

Postby pointdisc » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:13 am

Contrary to rusch_bag, I LOVED Waterloo's 9-holer. Probably one of the most challenging 9-hole courses I will ever play. Great use of elevation, tight wooded fairways, water comes into play, OB's to avoid, a VERY technical course. I did not see a basket 2 feet away from a fence...

The only complaint I have is lack of direction (as stated by rusch) but once you go through one time it's easy. No teepads, but that didn't bother me.

Anyone else play it? If you can get it down right, you can play a massive skip off the road on Hole 8. I tried it once, but was denied by the curb about 15' right of the basket and stayed OB. Hole 7 is definately the signature hole of the course (and my favorite).

pd
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Postby corey115 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:33 am

I've play Wakanda in Menomonie and Tower Ridge in EC.

Wakanda was very fun
TR was the hardest course I've ever played.
Predator | Avenger | Boss | Drone | Buzzz | Yeti
corey115
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby rusch_bag » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:45 pm

pointdisc wrote:Contrary to rusch_bag, I LOVED Waterloo's 9-holer. Probably one of the most challenging 9-hole courses I will ever play. Great use of elevation, tight wooded fairways, water comes into play, OB's to avoid, a VERY technical course. I did not see a basket 2 feet away from a fence...

The only complaint I have is lack of direction (as stated by rusch) but once you go through one time it's easy. No teepads, but that didn't bother me.

Anyone else play it? If you can get it down right, you can play a massive skip off the road on Hole 8. I tried it once, but was denied by the curb about 15' right of the basket and stayed OB. Hole 7 is definately the signature hole of the course (and my favorite).

pd

I probably exaggerated a little with the fence(and other things) but I know it was within 12 feet when I was there. I didn't really find it technical but a course where you had to throw and pray and I don't like those kind of courses. A lot of the holes didn't really have any lines at all and it was just solid trees everywhere, I probably also just shot really bad at the course and was a little harsh on it but I was not a fan. I might have to try and play it again before the leaves grow and see if I like it any better.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Postby pointdisc » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:50 pm

The only hole I had a problem with was hole 3. There also seemed to be a few fresher stumps, so I'm guessing the cleared it up a bit. Definately go check it out again though.

pd
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Postby BrettWare » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:09 pm

1. Highbridge (1400 foot hole, enough said, numerous 18 holers)
2. Token Creek Madison (home course im biased)
3. Nordic Mountain (Built on ski hills, difficult)
4. High Stand Madison (Nother beauty in madison)
5. O'Houser Appleton (another signature wooded course of wisconsin)

any of those courses will be a great day trip that you wont be disappointed with

WORST COURSE:

Red Arrow Park, Oshkosh Wisconsin
BrettWare
Noob

Favorite Disc: Ram

Postby schla104 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:54 am

I really enjoy

Standing Rocks
Silver Creek
Yulga
Sandy Point
Tower Ridge