Vacation to Oregon

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Vacation to Oregon

Postby jmammo » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:43 pm

I am pushing the family vacation to be to Oregon this year. If we do get a chance to go, where should we stay in terms of a city and what courses should I play at?
Buy the ticket, take the ride

Too weird to live, to rare to die

You are my one and only Chicagooo
To dream in RED, to dream in WHITE
For you we all shout into the night
jmammo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby some call me...tim? » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:57 pm

You'll get the most bang for your buck going to Portland in terms of DG. I've only played 2 courses in OR, Pier Park in Portland and Milo McIver in Estacada (just outside of Portland). Both are AWESOME courses...Pier's more friendly being a city park, but absolutely beautiful, and Milo is...just off the hook (check out the Beaver State Fling DVD trailer). Also, Whistler's Bend in Roseburg is supposed to be awesome, but as of yet its been too far away for me to travel to. Being in Portland is a pretty good central location...you could feasibly check out some courses to the south one day, and also could check out some of what the Seattle area has to offer on another. If you're serious about the trip, you should try to make it out sometime in July-September...those are the times to see the PNW from it's "good angle" :D
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jmammo » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:12 pm

I would probably be there in late July early August. I was thinking maybe Eugene? I know domromer is from there so maybe he will chime.
Buy the ticket, take the ride

Too weird to live, to rare to die

You are my one and only Chicagooo
To dream in RED, to dream in WHITE
For you we all shout into the night
jmammo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby Shaolintrained » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:59 pm

I'd suggest staying in Eugene, that way you've got Dexter right there (awesome course), Whistler's Bend an hour to the south (incredible course), and McIver an hour and a half to the North (Insane course) and on the way up north you can hit Willamette and Adair in Corvallis and Pier Park in Portland. Not to mention all of the other smaller gems in the North.
Trade list: http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12798
"Music is my religion" -Jimi Hendrix
Shaolintrained
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beat DX Roc

Postby Jerry R » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:31 am

Tim_the_Enchanter wrote:those are the times to see the PNW from it's "good angle" :D

Hey - there's no "bad angles" - maybe some "wet angles" :) , but it's all good. I would endorse Shaolin's plan.
Jerry R
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Q Sentinel

Postby presidio hills » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:29 am

having grown up in eugene i don't think it would be a very exciting place for a family vacation... maybe that's cause i grew up there, though. it is a nice little town, but you have to make your own fun there sometimes (driving out of town to the coast, visiting a river, crawdadding, hiking). portlands got a lot more going on in the town itself in terms of events, restaurants, shops, and places to wander around... and it's still close to the boonies if you do want to take a dip in a river or go hiking.
you should think about going to coast for a while... it's beautiful, and the whole family will dig it, especially if you like a light hike (or surfing!). also the eastern 2/3s of the state is high desert and very fun to visit as well (mountain biking, rock climbing, hiking, white water rafting, fly fishing).
both portland and eugene are only a little over an hour to the ocean and about 2 hours from the high desert.
summers in oregon make people want to move there... the falls and winters make them move back to which they came.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Re: Vacation to Oregon

Postby Eric O » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:05 am

jmammo wrote:I am pushing the family vacation to be to Oregon this year. If we do get a chance to go, where should we stay in terms of a city and what courses should I play at?
It all kind of depends what your family wants to do on vacation other than DG. I agree with Presidio on Eugene not being a great vacation spot, but it would be the most central location if you want to hit the courses around Portland and still make it to Whistler's. Problem with that is you are driving all up and down the state just for Whistler's when there are close to 20 courses to keep you busy all within an hour's drive of downtown Portland.

My admittedly biased opinion is that you would find the most things to do, and by far the highest course density around Portland. It's also close enough to Mt Hood and the ocean to day trip to either one. There is some good hiking with views of some sick waterfalls down the Columbia Gorge to keep your family busy while you are throwing discs at Dabney and Rooster Rock state parks.

No disrespect to Dexter in Eugene. That is probably next on my list behind McIver, and it would be worth the side trip to hit it up along with Roseburg. Speaking of which, if you do come out here you can't miss Milo McIver in Estacada. World class 27 hole course.

Jerry: When is Bryant gonna have 18 in the ground?
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby domromer » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:25 am

I strongly disagree 9/10 scientists agree that Eugene is the most wonderful city in the world!

ah just kidding! Me I hate crowds so I tend to play courses that aren't as busy as say the town courses are. So I like courses like Whistlers Bend and Riverside park in Roseburg, Also Tom Pearce Park in Grants Pass is really nice. Also The course in Sisters is really nice, reminds me of courses back home in AZ. Rooster Rock is another cool course. Nice scenery as well. Plus it's not far from a nude beach, which can be good or bad. I'd have to agree with some of the previous posters. For quantity of course stay up in Portland. But for Quality head out from Eugene...I'm going to get so flamed for that last comment.

Here's a good link to get the skinny on the local courses.
http://odsa.com/golf/south.html
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby Eric O » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:27 am

this will whet your appetite

www.odsa.com

The course list may not be complete cause new ones keep popping up! If you comb the forums a little you can get the latest.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby domromer » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:34 am

how do you add a live link like that?
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby Eric O » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:37 am

heh, I didn't see dom's comment before posting.

Quality in the south vs quantity in the north... hmm...

Eugene is a great place to be if you're either an undergrad or a burnout. (sorry couldn't resist the invitation ;) )

Kidding aside though, if you are talking up Rooster it makes me wonder if you've made it to some of the better courses up here. Rooster is alright but I would take Dabney first (6 exits down I-84), not to mention Trojan, Pier, Timber, Milo, etc. Going by your criteria, Rooster usually does have fewer crowds though.

[what is a live link?]
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby domromer » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:40 am

exactly. I just get all pissy when it's more than me and 2 other people. I think it comes from playing too many object courses.

As for your comments on Eugene. I'd agree. I'm heading back to AZ when I finish my degree.

So about that live link, did you type in the code or is there a shortcut button that I don't know about?

domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby domromer » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:42 am

I meant the odsa link.

domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby Eric O » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:44 am

just typed er up right thar

dubya dubya dubya dot blah blah blah
Last edited by Eric O on Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby domromer » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:45 am

like check out my

<a href="http://www.gmail.com" target="_blank">cat</a>

I was tring to do this, but I couldn't get it to work. I'm a retard with code.

domromer
Plastic Fondler

Next

Return to Courses