Vacation to Oregon

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby domromer » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:50 am

I was trying to have a single word be a link

like,I was walking my dog today.

The idea is that dog would have code behind it making it a link to a website.

Sorry I shoudn't drink coffee so late.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby Eric O » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:57 am

Yeah I can't help with that. I'm lucky I can even type.

Speaking of moving to AZ, my uncle has been threatening to move down to Flagstaff for a few years now, but then he lives in Salem so who can blame him for wanting a change. You should buck the trend and move north to Portland instead. Live in St. Johns and play Pier Park in the old growth every morning before the crowds show up.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby domromer » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:00 am

Sounds nice but I just bought a house. I'm stuck in Eugene until I finish up in 09. Then I'm heading back to flag and playing courses at 3pm with no crowds.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby Eric O » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:07 am

whoops I was romanticizing about my own life for a sec there... :D

Moving further from pier in a few days gonna miss the proximity.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Vacation to Oregon

Postby Jerry R » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:12 pm

Eric O wrote:When is Bryant gonna have 18 in the ground?

No definite date, I think they just need the $'s. I've heard they are moving some of the tone poles from Simpson (too hard to keep up) for the holes in the woods.
Jerry R
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Q Sentinel

Postby some call me...tim? » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:56 am

Hey Dom, check out the thread here :D

Just to add another 2 cents to the discussion, I was down by the WA/OR border weekend before last and played a few courses. I was literally depressed when I got back home b/c all three of the courses I played were way nicer than my home course.

I played Pier again, for like the 3rd or 4th time, beautiful as ever. I made the mistake of playing it on a sunny Sunday afternoon though, and it was way crowded...I can definitely sympathize with Dom in that dept. I don't mind some population, but when you have to wait on every hole, and have a string of 2somes catching up to you all the time, it can be a drag. Still, great course, just play it in off-peak hours.

I also got a chance to check out Trojan Lake, site of an old nuclear facility. I thought it was just going to be a ho-hum pitch and putt course around a little pond. Wrong! It is absolutely beautiful, free of trash, nicely mowed, and really a championship level course--not on the same scale as Milo mind you, but it's got plenty of challenge to it, and water comes into play on, oh, like 14 of the holes? It's a great course, and we didn't see any other golfers out there, just some fisherman (yeah, they've heard all the jokes about 3 eyed fish). Just make sure you bring plenty of discs you don't care about.

And last but not least...if you're going on vacation and want to get away from it all, and play on an AWESOME private course, I HIGHLY recommend this place: www.luckymud.com. The hosts are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet, the location is simply stunning, and the course is definitely one of the most fun I've played. Oh, and its got some of the biggest damn ferns you'll ever see. It's a bit out of the way, kind of out towards the coast in WA, but well worth a trip if you've got the time. I'd say it's about 1 1/2 hours from Portland or so, so not too bad of a day or weekend trip to make it out there. Oh, and you don't need to stay at the inn to play the course, just call ahead of time out of courtesy. There's a good chance that Ol' Bob, the groundskeeper, will want to come out and join you for a round.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby J-Man » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:14 pm

Well Tim you pretty well summed up a few great courses. I gotta put in my pitch for Pier - ah, my home course. There is a lot of talk about, "Oh Milo is so much nicer than Pier... Apples and oranges. I live 15 miles from Pier, 53 miles from Milo; gas at 3 bucks a gallon, well you can do the math. Milo is a world class course, no question, and if you're out this way you gotta play. But Pier, oh man, long, green as all get out, and trees, oh baby oh. It's like throwing in church, the trees tower, great elevation changes. But yes, play early, and on a weekday if you can. I run Casual Sundays @ Pier; just a tight group of guys and gals that meet for a round on Sunday at 8 am. Get 18 in and still have time for chores, or hey, more golf. It really is a gem that serves 2 purposes; 1. services upper level players, and 2. grows the sport - lots of casuals that continue with the sport. You can take a tour here http://www.bullseyediscgolf.com/or-cour ... ourse.html

And as stated earlier there are quite a few great courses near PDX, like Wortman in McMinnville, 12 tight holes, alt T's for a back 12, and a few others that some locals shared, and it is never busy. Then right down the road you have 2 courses in Newberg, with Champoeg just outside Newberg. Its not just quanity, it is quanity AND quality. As those dates get closer drop me a line, I'd love to show you Pier (teacher with time off).

Peace
Jman
Team Oregon Ambassador@Large
J-Man
1000 Rated Poster

Previous

Return to Courses