Longest/Biggest Course

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Longest/Biggest Course

Postby timg » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:29 pm

Just curious which course is the biggest/longest out there. I know Codorus State Park in PA has 54 holes which is a lot of holes to say the least. Is there actually a course that has more holes out there?
timg
Tree Magnet

Postby deaddisc » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:15 pm

Warwick has 90 if you count b-w, b-b, w-w, w-b, and wolfe woods. I would count them all because each course setup plays like the holes are well designed, not like you are just throwing across the wrong fairways like some courses are when playing b-w or w-b.
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby timg » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:22 pm

I've played Warwick long to long but didn't have time to try any other combination, wish I did though. Unfortunately I live around 5 or 6 hours from there so I doubt I'll be playing it again anytime soon.
timg
Tree Magnet

Postby roadkill » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:43 am

http://www.highbridgehillssc.com/disc.html

Highbridge Hills Sports Complex in Wisconsin, host of this year's Pro Worlds has to be the biggest in terms of holes. Two years ago I was there and they had 81 holes back then and they have plans to eventually have a total of ten courses which would amount to 180 holes.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby roadkill » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:49 am

deaddisc wrote:Warwick has 90 if you count b-w, b-b, w-w, w-b, and wolfe woods. I would count them all because each course setup plays like the holes are well designed, not like you are just throwing across the wrong fairways like some courses are when playing b-w or w-b.

While I like Warwick with it's multiple sets of tees and pins if we go down the slope of counting all the combinations of Long/short, Short/Long, Long/Long and Short/Short it gets a little ridiculous. Codorus has many layouts, as do Patapsco, Seneca, Druid Hill, Rockburn and about 800 other courses.

I think it's best to count only unique holes for the purpose of counting hole totals.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby timg » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:19 am

roadkill wrote:http://www.highbridgehillssc.com/disc.html

Highbridge Hills Sports Complex in Wisconsin, host of this year's Pro Worlds has to be the biggest in terms of holes. Two years ago I was there and they had 81 holes back then and they have plans to eventually have a total of ten courses which would amount to 180 holes.

That is pretty impressive.. it's almost worth taking the trip out just to play all those, I'll have to bookmark that site just in case I get ambitious.
timg
Tree Magnet

Postby mothrows » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:41 am

Blue Valley park in Kansas City is over 11,000 feet in length.
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

Postby some call me...tim? » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:32 am

roadkill wrote: While I like Warwick with it's multiple sets of tees and pins if we go down the slope of counting all the combinations of Long/short, Short/Long, Long/Long and Short/Short it gets a little ridiculous. Codorus has many layouts, as do Patapsco, Seneca, Druid Hill, Rockburn and about 800 other courses.

I think it's best to count only unique holes for the purpose of counting hole totals.

That's a good point, Ft. Steilacoom here in WA has something ridiculous like 60 baskets and 80 teepads. I know there are at least 9 layouts for the course, including a par 72 and a 27 holer, and there's always room to make up your own. So by that math, there'd be at least 171 holes, but I know the course doesn't have anything on some of the courses you guys are listing.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Timko » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:31 am

mothrows wrote:Blue Valley park in Kansas City is over 11,000 feet in length.

I was told BV is the longest 18 hole course in the world.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby koronin » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:45 am

Oh yeah, I'm going to be moving there in less than 2 weeks!

I'll be living just north of the river about 5 miles from Waterworks :)

--

PDGA: 31525
Aces:
11/18/2006 - Burke Lake Park #5 (150 ch Leopard)
12/30/2006 - Pohick Virginia #17 (168 DX Stingray)
05/19/2007 - Burke Lake Park #1, Long (180 Ch Stingray)
koronin
Tree Magnet

Postby mothrows » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:24 pm

koronin wrote:Oh yeah, I'm going to be moving there in less than 2 weeks!

I'll be living just north of the river about 5 miles from Waterworks :)

Nice. I love WW.
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

Postby Coldpunk » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:11 am

I'm pretty sure SIoux Passage in St. Louis is one of the longest courses. I want to say it was at 12,000 and some change when they put everything int he c placements for a tourney earlier this year. I've heard that Dave from gateway had a course in the ozarks that was craaazy long and had the highest par ever.
Coldpunk
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby Donkeypuncher » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:25 am

Call me crazy, but I'm not sure I want to play the longest courses. A course that takes 2 hours to play is about my limit, unless the weather is really nice. Plus my crippled ankle can only take so much punishment until I'm limping around. Don't get me wrong I love the longer courses, but anything more than 36 holes is just ridiculous.

Also, just because there are alternate layouts for a course doesn't mean that you can count the holes more than once. If you have 36 baskets, then it is a 36 hole course. Just because there are alternate tee's does not mean that you can count those holes twice. Let's be honest with ourselves here. The longest course should be the course with the most amount of actual holes, and not a course that has multiple ways to play the course. The longest course is a course that has the longest 18 hole layout, period. Does any pdga sanctioned event have more than 18 holes? Honestly I'm asking. If not, then you should only count courses that have a 18 hole layout.
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

Postby vonDrehle » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:01 pm

If you go out to Cedarock Park in Burlington, NC they have an open course and a wooded course. Open course I believe has 3 different tee's and even more basket placements. The wooded course has 2 tee's. If you play all the different types of setup they could do I would say it would equal out to over 100 holes, technically.
vonDrehle
Steward Turkeylink: Has not seen The Godfather and is probably a horrible person

Favorite Disc: River

Postby Terrence » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:36 pm

Mason County Pumped Storage Park here in Ludington has 72 holes layed out over three courses. Each course is a good mix of long and short holes. It's so awesome to drive to one spot and have a choice of three courses 8)
DX Teebird - Star Teebird - Pro Wraith - 4X JK Pro Valkyrie - 150g ESP Flick - DGA Tsunami
1st Run Star Cro - 5 bar stamp DX Rocs - 2004 Champ Roc
3 DX Aviars - KC Pro Aviar
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Next

Return to Courses