Best Indianapolis area courses?

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Best Indianapolis area courses?

Postby Barbikes » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:42 pm

It looks like I might be flying to Indy for a few days (business) next month. I'll have a rental car. Which courses do y'all think would be best to play within say - 100 miles of Indy?
Barbikes
Tree Magnet

Postby Jwt4412 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:12 pm

Now if you said 209.4 miles, I would have told you Lincoln Park in Springfield, IL...
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby TheUberDork » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:00 pm

Avon Town Hall Park: (just west of the city) One of my favorite course in the area. It just opened up last July. The front 9 are mostly long open holes. a few of them use what bunches of trees there are to create good dog legs and hidden baskets. some decent elevation chagnes. The back 9 are what make this course. They are cut into the woods with some tight fairways and killer elevation changes. Good use of course managment and accuracy are very important here. Several of the holes in the back 9 are my favorite holes to play. I can post some pictures later.

Washington Park: (eastside of indy) (10 dollar doubles leage sunday mornings) - Good 18 hole course needs alot of diffrent shots to play. Hole 17 is one of my favorites. You tee off from up on a hill about 150 feet of trees(litterally over) and over a small river. Then it dog legs left about 80 feet.

Brookside Park: (just down the road from washington park) Home of our local pdga teir C tournament. Decent course. Not one of my favorites for several reasons. Its in a pretty bad part of town. Its not very clean (lot of trash and broken bottles around holes, graffiti on the tee signs, stolen tee signs), a stream runs through it that is sweage run off that smells horrible and is just nasty, and the locals in the area are just rude.

Northwestway Park: (northwest side of the city) Pretty good course as far as design goes. Front 9 is mostly open but they used what they had to work with pretty well as far as elevation and what trees are there. Holes 3, 4, 5, 6 all deal all border a deep meadow (hole 6 acctually forcing you to throw over it). Hole 7 you tee off from the top of a hill blind to the basket with a thick woods on the right. and basket sits in to the right. The back 9 play through some woods and a thick natural meadow. Hole 17 and 18 are pretty long holes. 17 if i remembor correctly is 688 ft. Only problem with the course is there is a very popular walking/running path that weaves through the whole course so you generally have to wait for the path to clear up before you can throw.

Sahm Park: (Northeast side/Castleton area) 9 baskets with dual tees. Another of my favorite courses. Used to be concidered one of the hardest in the area. A lot of trees through the course. I always enjoy myself there.

Morse Beach: (Northeast of Indianapolis) 9 baskets with dual tees. Nothing really special here as far as the course goes. It sits right beside Morse Resivior so the view is pretty nice but not really worth the drive.

Boondocks Farms: (East of Indianapolis) Private Courses. $5 a game or $8 for an all day pass. Only played it a couple times as it just opened in May. Deffinatly worth the drive outside of town and the 5-8 dollars. The course runs through a fruit farm for the first 5 holes. A lot of dog legs left and right. The rest of the course is cut in to the woods. A ton of good elevation, narrow fairways, dog legs, steep elevation changes, and multiple lines. Very clean and quiet.
TheUberDork
Noob

Postby Barbikes » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:45 pm

Thanks U.D.

That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. It looks like you've got at least three or four good'uns there!

Barbikes
Barbikes
Tree Magnet

Postby Barbikes » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:51 pm

Does anyone have anything else to add to this? My trip was cancelled but it looks like I may be traveling to Indy soon!
Barbikes
Tree Magnet

Postby jeremy » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:20 pm

I enjoyed Washington Park, never hit the Avon Park. I liked the length of Trafalagar to bad it was 40 degrees and raining.
jeremy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 178gr Comet

Return to Courses