Must play courses from Nashville to Austin, TX

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Must play courses from Nashville to Austin, TX

Postby honkeytiger » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:00 pm

I am leaving on a short trip down Interstate 40 from Nashville to Austin and was looking for course recomendations. We will pass through Little Rock and Texarkana as well as swing through Shreveport. I prefer scenic and wooded courses over driving range type open courses.
honkeytiger
Tree Magnet

Postby Will Aubrey » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:26 pm

Muse Park in Jackson TN
Will Aubrey
Tree Magnet

Postby honkeytiger » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:03 am

Thanks Will. I should have been more specific. I have played muse park. It is a great course. I have also played the Memphis courses as well. I guess I was wondering about courses in Arkansas, Dallas, Austin, and Shreveport.
honkeytiger
Tree Magnet

Postby warlocks00 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:00 am

Z-boaz is a good one in the DFW area....Actually it's in Fort Worth. It's a pretty tight course. I also hear Cider Hill is a very tight, and fun course in the DFW area.

I'm possibly going to Seawright this weekend, I hear it's one of the best in Austin.....Wimberly's 2 courses are good ones in the Austin area, but they more of a range type course than a wooded one.
Warlock Disc Golf
warlocks00
Tree Magnet

Postby matchu » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:22 am

seawright is a pitch and putt course with a some nice views. Pease park is so much better and more challenging.
matchu
Fairway Surgeon

Postby warlocks00 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:06 am

Pitch and putt...really?

Have you played the course in Kyle? Is it better or, worse that seawright? That's my other option for sunday morning(peace may not be out of the question though) mainly because we are staying in Kyle...As posted in the other thread, I am playing live oak Sat. afternoon on our way to Kyle, and have time to play one round sunday before heading home.
Warlock Disc Golf
warlocks00
Tree Magnet

Postby RustyP » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:14 am

We'd love to have you here in Texarkana, but honestly I wouldnt go out of my way to play here...the course is mostly open and not very challenging (but all the locals are really friendly :D ). Not sure how close you will be to these, but here are my suggestions:

Arkansas - Cedar Glades in Hot Springs (very tough wooded course in the hills), also heard that the courses in Little Rock are good.

Louisiana - Ford Park in Shreveport (open, but long and fun), Lake Bistineau just east of Shreveport (definitely play there if you can...beautiful and challenging course)

Texas - Z Boaz in Ft Worth, Lester Lorch in Cedar Hill (my personal favorite - 2 courses on one beautiful piece of protected land. Great variety), Harry Myers Park in Rockwall (east of Dallas - very challenging, long, hole #3 is amazing)
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby steezo » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:44 am

If you are going to play Z Boaz (Ft. Worth) then you have to play Veteran's (Arlington). Also, Kyle is a fun course but with all the rain i'm sure it was flooded. It has 2 different tee pads. Call up Discnation, they hold mini's out there and will have a good idea of the course condtions. It is actually called PEASE Park. Gereat place to play but go early, the crowds will start coming out around noonish. Same with Searight-gets packed quick. If you play Searight you can drive 10 minutes West and play Circle C- which is very wooden and very wooded 8)
The more I throw, the easier it gets-
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Postby matchu » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:53 am

it is a nice course just been overplayed so there is little grass on the ground. You can play it quickly tho. I do not know about the Kyle course. Seems you have a nice discathon vacation going. have fun
matchu
Fairway Surgeon

Postby stormcsut » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:24 am

Several courses here in dallas that are good. Z Boaz is about the most popular in Fort Worth. Veterans in Arlington is good. And as everyone has said, the two courses together in Cedar Hill are very nice. In Grapevine theres a cool course called Bear Creek thats one big ace run.

Searight is cool in Austin. Circle C... dear god. Never again will I go there. That course about made me quit disc golf. Extremely challenging
stormcsut
Noob

Postby steezo » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:32 am

Honkeytiger-
Be sure and check with some people on this website that live in Dallas when you come through. Alot of rain over the last couple of weeks. Some courses drain better than others-
The more I throw, the easier it gets-
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Postby warlocks00 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:48 am

If you get the chance, play Kyle's course. That is one fun course, has a small creek to watch out for(for the most part you can't lose a disc in it that we saw, but take a gold retriever, your feet will thank you), lot's of thick holes with protected baskets, a good amount of shade, and a good mix of short and long holes that will take lot's of different shots to get around the course. Very enjoyable to play.....just watch out for the poison ivy....it's every where!! But I did got out unscaved it seems.
Warlock Disc Golf
warlocks00
Tree Magnet

Postby dave9668 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:23 pm

You have got to hit up Cedar Hill when your going through Dallas. 2 full 18 hole beautiful courses. My favorite place in DFW.
dave9668
Tree Magnet

Postby chris86wm » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:54 pm

I second the Ford Park - Shreveport recommendation
chris86wm
Tree Magnet

Postby Donkeypuncher » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:16 pm

Jimmy porter in in dallas (carrollton) is a nice course, it's not the best but most of the others are flooded. Auduban in garland is a nice course also, but I'm not sure how wet it is since the sun has come out the past week.

If you need someone to play with let me know, I know most of the courses around here and would be more than happy to help out. These courses aren't completely wide open, but do have quite a few 300'+ hoes and some over 400'.

Mckinney hase a really wooded course but the holes are pretty short. Bear creek is a nice looking course, and is a pretty complete course. They got a little bit of everything there, but I'm not sure how it's handled the rain I'll have to check it out this week.

You would really like the lewisville lake course, but I'm not sure if the water will go down by the time you make your trip.
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Courses