Best course near Downtown Austin?

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Best course near Downtown Austin?

Postby Desafinado » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:48 pm

Firstly - I know there's already another topic for this, but I'll be in town in a day or two and I am looking for responses specific to my situation, so I'm creating this new topic to make sure it gets looked at 8)

I'll be in Austin for a business trip that runs Tues-Sat this coming week, and I'm staying at the Omni a few miles south of downtown. I will have no rental car, so wherever I go to play will be a taxi on my own dime(can't get away with expensing _that_ to my company, unfortunately).

With that in mind, I was hoping to get recommendations/advice from locals for which course I should hit up on Wednesday afternoon. I'll have from about noon until dark, so wherever I go I'll probably want to play twice.

To help with recommendations- I normally enjoy the most challenging disc golf experience possible, but seeing as how I'm in town on business, I will need to avoid courses that pose significant risk of poison oak/ivy or any other sort of danger.

I would prefer concrete tees but I'm open to well maintained gravel/dirt tees. I have about 320-340 of controlled golf D RHBH and my PDGA rating is 939(probably a bit low based on my improvement over the past 8-10 months), so I do prefer courses that aren't pitch-and-putt, as well as courses with a variety of shots, not just righty hyzer x 18. I also really like elevation, especially downhill shots, and a mix of open lines and narrow gaps.

Thanks in advance for suggestions/reviews. If there's an absolutely world class experience a little ways(within 20 miles) from downtown Austin, I'd be open to even throwing down some decent $$$ for the cab ride.

Also - if any locals are interested in playing a round/showing me around, that would be awesome, too. I'm a pretty chill playing partner, or so I've been told.
Desafinado
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby steezo » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:55 pm

The only course close would be Pease Park-lucky for you its a great course. Lamar and 25th St.
The more I throw, the easier it gets-
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Postby Mr.SmOOOth » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:33 pm

When I drive to FL. I always try to detour up to Pease. It is a sweet course!
"Are you talking to me on a cellular phone? I don't know you. Who is this? Don't come here! Prank caller! Prank caller!"
Mr.SmOOOth
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Z BUZZZ

Postby Donkeypuncher » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:26 am

I'd like to hear some opinions on this as well. I'm in dallas so I'm planning to hit up austin since it's kinda close. I was gonna try circle R ranch, but I heard something about them being closed. I'm close to playing all the courses in the DFW area, so I'm looking to try some of the better courses in the state.
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

Postby RustyP » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:29 am

I've been to Austin for some DG trips a few times, but still havent hit up Pease Park...though I've heard only good things about it. Circle C (aka Slaughter Creek) and Seawright are fairly close to downtown...I think. They're close to each other at least, and just down the road from Disc Nation's store. I haven't played Seawright, but I've heard its similar to Circle C, which is a very tough but fun course! If you have the $$$ for a cab ride down there, I'd go for it!

and yep, Circle R is temporarily closed....what a shame. It would probably be way too far for a cab ride anyway...I think it's at least 30 miles outside of downtown.

PS - enjoy the Omni...its a pretty nice hotel :)
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby DELETED » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:00 pm

DELETED
DELETED

Postby Desafinado » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:14 pm

Thanks to all who chipped in with recommendations. It looks like Pease it is, I managed to fit four discs into my suitcase(wizard/roc/valk/pred) and I'm looking forward to checking out the course on Wednesday afternoon.

If any locals are up for a round, please shoot me a PM!
Desafinado
Tree Magnet

Postby Desafinado » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:33 pm

So I ended up playing this morning- nice course! There are several very tough holes out there, that deadly combination of tight tunnel + long distance. I ended up shooting a 57, which the locals I played with said is a -3, apparently. I think they were inflating par a little bit.

I liked the mix of open and wooded. Thanks again for the recommendations, folks!
Desafinado
Tree Magnet

Postby steezo » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:00 pm

too bad the course was changed-old hole # 13 was the "Capital Hole" You teed off and could see the the top od the capital building-Pease USED to be my favorite but the redesign blows- By the way a new 18 hole course is being put in in Pflugerville 8)
The more I throw, the easier it gets-
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Return to Courses