Courses in and around the Denver Area

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Courses in and around the Denver Area

Postby PiglyBigelsworth » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:33 pm

I may be moving up to the Denver area and was curious to know what the disc golf scene is like up there. I currently live in Texas and there are three courses within 5 minutes of my house. So, needless to say, I am a bit spoiled. I am not sure exactly what part of Denver I will be living in or around, so please just give me some ideas in general. Thanks in advance.
PiglyBigelsworth
Noob

Postby DanTaylor » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:23 pm

Heres a uick list of courses in colorado via the MHDGC website. There are 7 courses that are all around the Denver area. 2 that are north of Denver. Your choices arent limited really.

Aspen Mountain

Badlands

Bird's Nest Disc Park - West Arvada
View Course Map

Copper Mountain

Cottonwood Park

David A. Lorenz (Lighthouse) Park

Edora Park

Exposition Park
View Course Map

Fort Morgan Optimist
Frisco Peninsula

Harlow Platts
View Course Map

Johnny Roberts Memorial
View Course Map

Lakewood Dry Gulch (Paco)

Leadville

Montrose

Pueblo City Park

Westminster City Park

Widefield Park
GorillaTactics wrote:the Wii disc golf game will lead to more shattered LCD TV's than baseball, bowling, and tennis combined.
DanTaylor
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Q Sent

Postby PiglyBigelsworth » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:05 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm still waiting to see if the move is definite or not. Unfortunately, if it is, I'll be missing my favorite time of year here in TX. That's one thing that made me mad about playing disc golf. I picked it up in the fall and got used to the skips and wide open shots. Unfortunately, here in TX, we have more spring and summer than we do fall. So, those skips and wide open shots are only available for a few months. Hopefully, CO will be a little more forgiving. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
PiglyBigelsworth
Noob

Postby DanTaylor » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:47 pm

Disc golf in the fall around CO is very nice IM told. This will be my first. =)
GorillaTactics wrote:the Wii disc golf game will lead to more shattered LCD TV's than baseball, bowling, and tennis combined.
DanTaylor
Tree Magnet

Postby Fritz » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:40 am

Colorado is a year round Disc Golf State. Sure at times it can be cold, but you can still play a respectable round :)

Denver gets more snow then we do over here in Grand Junction, so they have a couple days where they can't play, but it only takes a couple days for the snow to melt, so you'll be back out on the course within a couple days after a big snow storm.

You'll love it here, just remember your discs are gonna totally change when you get here, i.e. A shot you normally throw that will land say 40 feet to the left of your target, will now land 80-90 feet to the left instead. So you really have to adjust the way you throw your discs. :)

If ya make here, welcome to Colorado, and don't forget about us on the Western Slope :)
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby PiglyBigelsworth » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:32 am

Aren't discs supposed to be more overstable up there? If so, YAY!!!!!!! I love me some overstable discs. I can only dream of my wraiths, teerexes and destroyers being more overstable. Ok, gotta stop drooling now. More than anything, I think I'll be looking forward to the lack of humidity. Nothing quite like playing a tournament in June here. We started at 9 am and it was already 98 with 100% humidity. I couldn't get my hands dry for anything. Talk about miserable. I am interested to see what snow golf is like. Luckily, I only have bright colored discs. At least I'm hoping that's lucky for me.
PiglyBigelsworth
Noob

Postby DanTaylor » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:03 pm

Heh no real humidity here sir. You'll enjoy it for sure.
DanTaylor
Tree Magnet

Postby dvlcek » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:47 pm

I live in the Denver area and there isn't much close to me on the south end of town. I have one course that is about five-ten minutes away but it is about the last course I would recommend playing in the Denver area. Pacos (Lakewood Dry Gulch) is close to downtown and is the best course we have. Neighborhood is a little sketchy. Then there is a nice little putter/midrange course in Aurora (just east of Denver metro area). Somehow I see people losing wraiths and Teerexs and have no idea why since there is maybe one hole long enough for a long range driver. Up north has about four courses that are all pretty decent. Westminster is a nice course but the bike patrol will watch for beer drinking if you like having a couple of brews during a round. Sometimes they are cool about it and sometimes they are pricks. Birds Nest is alright. Not much elevation but it does give a nice mix of shots. Johnny Roberts was okay and I haven't played it in a while because it seemed to over crowded with walkers, bikers, skaters, picnicers and a lot of obstacles like that you don't want to hit. Even though, my first and only ace came at the course, I haven't been back in over five years. My favorite though is Badlands North. Good elevation changes and a good mix of holes. Most shots are pretty open but the elevation can catch up to you quick. If you move out, there is a course about 45 minutes to an hour outside of Denver at an Easter Seals camp you will want to hit. They ask for a $5 donation but it is 27 holes of great discing. That is my favorite course of all within an hour but I think you are regulated to just Friday afternoons and weekends since it is an Easter Seals camp and they conduct business during the week. Fort Collins isn't much of a drive if you are up north and they have a couple of good courses too. I usually don't go up that way though. If you are down south, it is almost easier to go to Colorado Springs and play there courses. Both are pretty nice courses but their south course (Widefield) had been hit with some vandalism. I think they have gotten baskets replaced and I haven't checked up on it lately because I haven't had any reason to go to the Springs. Not for sure but I think CO State was played there and Pueblo so guessing it is up and running good. Anyway, little long winded but if you do move up and ever need a person to go hit some of the courses with, I'm always down for playing (snow, rain, hot or dry). Just depends if work has other ideas but usually can find a way to go play a round or two.
Last edited by dvlcek on Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dvlcek
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Piranha

Postby timg » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:35 pm

This is a pretty exhaustive list of courses within 50 miles of Denver (zip code 80202).
timg
Tree Magnet

Postby krusen » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:24 pm

Anyone else play Cottonwood or widefield in CO Springs? I'll be heading out there at the end of Febuary to do some snowboarding and want to check out some courses. Would it be worth the trouble to travel a bit farther to a different course?
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby Fritz » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:41 pm

krusen wrote:Anyone else play Cottonwood or widefield in CO Springs? I'll be heading out there at the end of Febuary to do some snowboarding and want to check out some courses. Would it be worth the trouble to travel a bit farther to a different course?

Widefield kicks ass and it will kick your ass if you aren't careful. It beat up Feldberg pretty good the first round of the Colorado State Championships.

Where you gonna be riding at and I can give you a better idea of where you should go play etc...
FRITZ
Team Millennium
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby krusen » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:18 pm

Fritz wrote:
krusen wrote:Anyone else play Cottonwood or widefield in CO Springs? I'll be heading out there at the end of Febuary to do some snowboarding and want to check out some courses. Would it be worth the trouble to travel a bit farther to a different course?

Widefield kicks ass and it will kick your ass if you aren't careful. It beat up Feldberg pretty good the first round of the Colorado State Championships.

Where you gonna be riding at and I can give you a better idea of where you should go play etc...

I've got some friends that live in CO Springs, so that's where I'll be spending the majority of the time.
I'm flying into Denver on a Friday morning, and staying in the springs that night. Going boarding at Copper on Saturday and probably staying in Silverthorne. Heading back to the springs Sunday, and flying from Denver again on Monday afternoon. My friends out there play, but are not real hardcore, so I figure that rules out Frisco since I'm guessing there will be quite a bit of snow there.
So I've really got two and a half days to get some rounds in.
My plan was to play Widefield, Cottonwood, and Badlands.

I've played Edora and CSU in Ft. Collins, and Epple in Greeley. I lived in Fort Collins and Greeley each for a year from 2003-2004. I wish I had played more courses when I was out there.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Postby Fritz » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:24 pm

krusen wrote:
Fritz wrote:

I've got some friends that live in CO Springs, so that's where I'll be spending the majority of the time.
I'm flying into Denver on a Friday morning, and staying in the springs that night. Going boarding at Copper on Saturday and probably staying in Silverthorne. Heading back to the springs Sunday, and flying from Denver again on Monday afternoon. My friends out there play, but are not real hardcore, so I figure that rules out Frisco since I'm guessing there will be quite a bit of snow there.
So I've really got two and a half days to get some rounds in.
My plan was to play Widefield, Cottonwood, and Badlands.

I've played Edora and CSU in Ft. Collins, and Epple in Greeley. I lived in Fort Collins and Greeley each for a year from 2003-2004. I wish I had played more courses when I was out there.

Play Badlands in Federal Heights, then Swing by Lakewood Dry Gulch (also known as Paco's Gulch), then Widefield. Skip Cottonwood not worth the time.
Bird's Nest in Arvada is a blast as well.

If you need directions let me know and I will help you out.

Also go over to www.milehighdiscgolf.org and post a message there and I'm sure some of them would love to come play with you at any of those courses.

Frisco is actually been pulled for now while they do damage control on the bark bettles. :cry:
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby Fritz » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:27 pm

Another plus for Bird's Nest too is it's on your way back from Silverton, just a small detour off I-70 onto Ward Road, head north to 64th then head west on 64th till ya get to the course.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby krusen » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:39 pm

Thanks Fritz! :D
I'll let you know if I have any trouble finding them.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to Courses