Central KY courses

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Central KY courses

Postby honkeytiger » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:50 pm

Buddies and Me are taking a DG trip to central KY from Middle Tn and I am looking for course suggestions. We play the Bowling Green courses all the time and have played Elizabethtown, but we want to play Louisville, Lexington, etc... and was curious of the courses I need to play and those to avoid.
honkeytiger
Tree Magnet

Postby Will Aubrey » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:48 am

In Louisville I recommend Iroquois Park. It's a nice course with a mix of open and wooded holes. I haven't played Charlie Vettiner but I am told it has tight fairways with unforgiving rough - thorns etc.

I love Yellow Creek Park in Owensboro. It has a good mix of open and wooded holes. And the basket placement is wicked with drop offs behind several baskets. Two holes are over water. The signature hole is 240 feet over a lake at the end and it's tougher than it sounds. If you don't keep your disc nose-down the wind will often grab it and dash it into the water. I have seen people who can throw over 300 fail to carry the water.

In Harrodsburg, you could play Anderson Dean Park. I don't like it at all though. It's a long wide open course that tends to be windy.

I like the 9 hole courses in Glasgow and Danville but you might not. Both are essentially open with strategically placed trees.

The one in Glasgow is fairly short and the baskets are homemade and let discs fall through the bottom - we count those shots as good. The signature hole has the basket guarded by a real army tank.

The Danville course is longer and has better baskets but the last time I played it one of the signs was missing which made it confusing. It has a good variety of shots and elevation.

In the western end of the state there are good courses in Murray and Draffenville.
Will Aubrey
Tree Magnet

Postby ky chris » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:52 pm

You can check here for info on the local courses: http://www.bdga.org/.

There is also a new course in Richmond which is just south of Lexington if you are coming via I75. It's about 5 miles off the interstate and is a nine fairway wooded course with two baskets on each making it an eighteen. Very nice and quiet.
ky chris
2008 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: roc

Return to Courses