Stuck at the hotel!

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Stuck at the hotel!

Postby Dig It » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:56 pm

Alright so I am flying out to LA to stay at a hotel right at LAX (arrive on the 13th). Are there any courses within walking distance? I would rent a car but man all that money for a few days just doesn't sound appealing.

Please tell me there is this sweet little hidden 18 holes with short technical shots that missed the PDGA course directory radar. I will actually take any course. I will be hotel locked unless there is something in walking distance and I would love to shoot in Cali while I am there.

Any ideas?
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby some call me...tim? » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:14 pm

don't think you have too many options as far as walking distance goes. looks like this might be you're closest bet: http://pdga.com/course/courses_by_city.php?id=2124 don't know anything about it, but the name doesn't sound promising. probably not too bad of a bus ride though.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Desafinado » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:11 pm

This would be a great time for an LA local to step up and give this man a lift to play La Mirada. I think there's at least one La Ma local who posts here on DGR.

If you wanted to take a cab, however... :shock:

From an online fare estimator:

"That cab ride would cost about $76.55. That's roughly $88 with a 15% tip. It is about 28.0 miles. There is a $2.50 surcharge for trips from LAX Airport."
Desafinado
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby Dig It » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:47 pm

Desafinado wrote:This would be a great time for an LA local to step up and give this man a lift to play La Mirada. I think there's at least one La Ma local who posts here on DGR.

If you wanted to take a cab, however... :shock:

From an online fare estimator:

"That cab ride would cost about $76.55. That's roughly $88 with a 15% tip. It is about 28.0 miles. There is a $2.50 surcharge for trips from LAX Airport."

I must say your post is the epitome of "above and beyond."

Is that one way? If that was round trip I would seriously consider that. I get in at ~9am and I don't think conference check in is until later in the afternoon.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Desafinado » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:59 pm

One way, sadly. You should look into what it might cost to rent a car for just one day- you might be able to get off the lot for something like 70-80 for one day in an economy car, I've got a friend who swears by one-day car rentals.

Then, if you had a car and a free day, you could play both 18's at La Ma, zip down to El Dorado in Long Beach and play 18, then head back to the car rental place at dark to return it. They'd probably shuttle you to and from the hotel if you find the right rental place, too, especially if you're close to LAX.

The last time I had a conference to go to, it was in San Diego and I ended up ditching about 2/3rds of the sessions to go play Morley Field, which was my original home course. I played 13 rounds while I was supposed to be attending the conference... :oops:
Desafinado
Tree Magnet

Postby Dig It » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:12 am

So I rented a car from Sunday morning to Wednesday afternoon. And the cost?

$38.98

Holy smokes what a deal. I just got the reservation and it looks like La Mirada is in my sights! Do I have the arm to throw it? Hell no, but I am going to go play it.

I may try to shoot over to Long Beach too if time allows, and me being just like you Desafinado, I will "make" some time.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Dig It » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:04 pm

I wanted to check to see if anyone wanted to play a round at any course near LA on Sunday noonish to sundown. Let me know, I would love to play a round with someone who has played the course!
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Postby timg » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:28 pm

DigIt,

Give this link a try:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/browse.php

Be sure to click map mode and then you can see exactly where courses near your hotel are. I'm not sure if I have any hidden ones listed but you can filter out any courses that you don't want to see (<9 holes, open or flat, etc.).
timg
Tree Magnet

Postby Fritz » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:24 pm

oh snap! I'm jealous!!!
Snap pics!
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby x-out » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:34 pm

DigIt wrote:I wanted to check to see if anyone wanted to play a round at any course near LA on Sunday noonish to sundown. Let me know, I would love to play a round with someone who has played the course!

i'll be there this sunday 8) at the moment we've got a lakeside 18 and a back 18. our usual set up is 27 holes, but we've got 36 for now. even though we have 36 holes in, you can still play "most" of the super course (NT course). super course=entire 36 hole layout becomes 18 holes :twisted:

your better off just playing lamirada until your arm falls off. i'm one of the very few la mirada players that enjoys playing eldo, but most would say your not missing much. if your going to have to squeeze in eldo because of daylight or time constraints, you could skip it.
its a game of mistakes. whoever can make the least amount of mistakes wins.
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby Dig It » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:35 pm

Fritz wrote:oh snap! I'm jealous!!!
Snap pics!

Done and done.

And hey x-out, what time will you be up there at La Mirada? I think I should be there at about 11:30ish. It could be a little before or after. If you are in I can PM you my number and we can hook up for a round.

What about Liberty Park? Says it's a short 9 hole that has lights for night play but do I really want to play at night there?
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Postby x-out » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:47 pm

if your going to be there @ around 11:30 i'll be there around 11:30 :) i can be there earlier if you'd like, but that's up to you.

liberty park is for rec players,. but that's not to say you can't have fun and enjoy yourself. there is a hidden long and medium layout to the same 9 holes that are nothing special, but can be fun. you can play there @ night and not have to worry about being safe.

but if you seek night golf your best bet is to play la mirada with some lights ;) or go play twila reed (medium length course with lights).

BTW if your used to playing in the higher altitudes of CO you should bring some OVERSTABLE plastic or leave some room in your bag to buy some. in the pro shop we've got all of the latest and greatest CFR's (pro destroyers, ontarion rocs, and other goodies) 8)
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby Dig It » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:52 pm

Well I am back in Colorado. Huge thanks to x-out for showing me the course. We played 36 holes Sunday and I ended up going back every day to play at least 18 holes. I ended up playing La Mirada about 6 rounds total. Pretty nice course, locals are friendly, nice pro-shop.

Fritz, I know you're aware of John Bird, well this pro shop has it's own John Bird. His name is Mike. Helluva guy and used to be pro WAY back in the day. I hope I am remembering his name correctly. The course is a mix of Badlands and Johnny Roberts. It has the short technical aspect of Johnny with the ups and downs of Badlands.

Anyway, had a blast. Skipped many conference sessions to drive through Compton to play there.

I also took a bunch of photos while playing which includes a tee shot from all front 18 tees. I hope to post those here in the near future.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Postby x-out » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:51 pm

DigIt it was my pleasure. i just wish i could've showed you around the national tour layout. then you could've gotten a feel for just how long this course can play ;)

you've got the name right, the pro shop owner is Mike. his collection on the walls is only a portion of his treasures :shock:
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby Desafinado » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:52 am

x-out wrote:DigIt it was my pleasure. i just wish i could've showed you around the national tour layout.

Yeah! When I read his quote about 'short technical aspect', it was pretty surprising to me since the only 2 times I played LaMa was on the weekend right before the Golden State Classic, in the 18 hole layout... where the word "short" would never ever enter one's mind :twisted:
Desafinado
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to Courses