Cluster of Cali Courses

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Cluster of Cali Courses

Postby k-os » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:16 pm

My parents are wanting to take a trip somewhere for Spring Break and I recommended California. We've been there previously, in the heart of San Francisco, but this was prior to my discing time. Would anyone be able to recommend a good place to stay that is close to many nice and fun courses?
k-os
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FLX Buzzz

Postby mgoofy24 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:56 am

Come to San Francisco again.

Golden Gate Park course is open and great fun. 20-30 minute drive (north) to Stafford Lake in Novato, CA (one of the best courses I have played in my life), 1.5 hours (approx) to De La in Santa Cruz, and more courses in the East Bay (Berkeley if its not windy, Napa I have heard is beautiful).

Also, it won't be screaming hot like SoCal will be.

My 2 cents

(btw, I live 5 blocks from the Golden Gate course, so I'm biased)
mgoofy24
Tree Magnet

Postby k-os » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:49 pm

I'm partially reviving this. I remember someone mentioning that there were some courses in Cali that were lighted for night time play. Where are these courses located and how would you rate them?
k-os
Tree Magnet

Postby plastic_fondler » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:50 pm

Maybe in SoCal they have lighted courses...I know of none in norcal.
plastic_fondler
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: firebird

Postby dgdave » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:12 pm

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/vi ... php?t=5137

Check out this thread. The course with lights is liberty park. X-Out talks about it. Its about 1/2 way down the page.

I have no idea how I remembered that this was the thread that had that info. Now if I could just remember the important stuff.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby x-out » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:35 pm

so cal has 2 lit courses in the l.a. area (twila and liberty). both courses are shorter than your usual courses and the degree of difficulty isn't very high, but if you want a course with "lights"....these are your options.
its a game of mistakes. whoever can make the least amount of mistakes wins.
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby k-os » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:23 am

Thanks a lot guys. I'm not sure if we'll even have the option to head down there. We're staying by the Fisherman's Warf in San Francisco. L.A. is definitely a little far to go to just play a course. :P
k-os
Tree Magnet

Postby some call me...tim? » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:29 am

I believe there's a lighted course in NorCal, at the Willits KOA. I don't think it's too big of a course or anything, and it's a pretty big trek out there. But seeing "true NorCal" (I'd put Santa Cruz or maybe Monterey as the southern border of NorCal) is definitely a cool trip. And yeah, just my personal opinion, but SF is a much better place to visit than LA.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Desafinado » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:45 am

Hey k-os,

Shoot me a PM if you are looking for a local guide for any of the courses near SF, I could probably get out to at least one course and show you around.
Desafinado
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby plastic_fondler » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:53 pm

Willits, or Willie T's, has 5 baskets with the old DGA solar powered lights. However, they have been broken for years. We do play glow up there, but its not the same. If anyone is looking for a hella fun tourney to play, the KOA Pro/Am jam at Willie T's in June is super fun. Its grown to one of the largest B tiers in the country and at night we party out in the old saloon until morning. I think I've shot an average of 50 points lower every year than my rating. :D

k-os....if your staying in SF...enjoy the course in golden gate park a few days. You can get there with two buses easily. If you have access to a car...I'd suggest Stafford Lake in Novato over Santa Cruz due to travel time and amount of players on the course. Napa is also nice, but there is a tourney this weekend.

cheers!
plastic_fondler
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: firebird

Postby k-os » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:59 pm

Thanks guys. We'll be staying from March 29th to April 2nd.
k-os
Tree Magnet

Postby niuvalleycane » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:31 am

played Golden Gate for the first time yesterday, 6 of us came down from Sactown.

Definitely recommend GG, good times
niuvalleycane
Fairway Surgeon

Return to Courses