Course Design Pet Peeve

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Course Design Pet Peeve

Postby MTB » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:09 pm

I hate it when hole 18 basket is half a mile away from hole one tee pad. A good course should start and end at the parking lot.

Without naming designers or courses what frustrates you about the lay-out / design of courses you play?
Last edited by MTB on Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTB
Noob

Re: Course Design Pet Peeve

Postby Midnightbiker » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:26 pm

MTB wrote:I hate it when hole 18 basket is half a mile away from hole one tee pad. A good course should start and end at the parking lot.

Without naming designers or courses what frustrates you about courses you play?

At McDade Park in Conroe,TX the course rocks except for #18. The hole runs right next to a soccer field and sometimes players are there practicing or watching soccer right in the fairway of 18. I don't like it.
Listen to The Love Doctors on Real Radio 10am-3pm Eastern
Click here
http://www.wzzr.com/pages/the_lovedocs.html
Midnightbiker
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby discdawg » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:26 pm

I hate it when I go to a new course and I have no idea where to throw, where the next basket is, baskets without numbers, tee boxes without numbers or guides, no distances posted, etc, etc.

That and big piles of dog crap. Next time I see someone letting their dog take a crap on the course then both dog and owner become targets.
discdawg
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: TeeBird

Postby Fritz » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:13 pm

discdawg wrote:I hate it when I go to a new course and I have no idea where to throw, where the next basket is, baskets without numbers, tee boxes without numbers or guides, no distances posted, etc, etc.

That and big piles of dog crap. Next time I see someone letting their dog take a crap on the course then both dog and owner become targets.

Agreed there on the no tee signs or basket numbers, and when I see someone letting their dog take dookie, I always yell, hope you are gonna pick that up, it's the law!
:)

I hate it when you go to a course and it's all designed to kick the crap out of a right handed thrower. I love balanced courses.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Parks » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:42 pm

I hate when holes have one very easy shot (i.e. backhand hyzer) and other routes either don't exist or are incredibly difficult.

The best courses have lots of holes with multiple routes and shots of approximately equal difficulty.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jwt4412 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:43 pm

I hate it when you have to drive your car to the course... it is much better when they design a top-ten-in-the-state course and put it 5 houses down from your house...

:wink:
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby MTB » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:29 pm

What's up with courses with a number of holes that is not a multiple of nine? We have one here with 19 holes, and another with six. If you built a ball golf course with 19 holes you would be the laughing stock of the ball golf community. I don't know what dog sh!t has to do with course design, but irresponsible pet owners can piss my off. I see alot of coyote poo on my local courses though.
MTB
Noob

Postby MTB » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:33 pm

Jwt4412 wrote:I hate it when you have to drive your car to the course... it is much better when they design a top-ten-in-the-state course and put it 5 houses down from your house...

:wink:

Well it is hard to complain about a course that is free to play and in a public park, so I don't expect much from the courses I play, just like to rant a little.
MTB
Noob

Postby Fritz » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:52 pm

Clowns Mouth holes are the suck as well. Requiring a lucky shot to make it to the hole is garbage.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby jamsisjams » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:15 am

The same shot on consecutive, subsequent holes
Tsunami-SOLF--JLS-Wasp-Buzzz--Wizard-Whitler

"Hit me with your wisdom, cow."
jamsisjams
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Donkeypuncher » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:00 am

I hate it when people don't realize they are on a disc golf course. I've had to throw discs at people because they are retarded and think the fairway is a good place to lay out and tan. I hit some guy in the hip because he ignored me telling him to move. A Z predator to the hip cleared his mind and he decided to move 20' to the right and off the fairway. Overall I think it was a good lesson for him. I wish I could say I was trying to hit him, but it was just luck. My friends gave me a double birdie for the shot of the day though, so I guess some good did come out of it.
200, and 40 dollars......a worth a puddin'
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Will Aubrey » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:38 am

Big ditto on the clown's mouth holes. I also hate holes that require one particular kind of shot. And I don't like holes where the tee and fairway are in the open and the basket is tucked into a stand of trees and is invisible from the tee. That just seems so contrived and if you don't play the course frequently you just have to guess where the entry point is.
Will Aubrey
Tree Magnet

Re: Course Design Pet Peeve

Postby plastic_fondler » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:44 am

More loops for the beer drinkers! I can only carry so much!
plastic_fondler
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: firebird

Postby jtkustomizer » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:10 am

I dont like it when a course doesnt have any restrooms or drinking fountains :evil:
Destroyer, Firebird, Teebird, Valkryie, FLX Drone, Buzzz, Impact and Warlock
jtkustomizer
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: www.gorilla-boy.com

Postby williethekid » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:13 am

I hate on courses where:

1) Teepads that arent't flat.
2) trees that are in the middle of the fairway that require luck to miss
3) trees that are right off the front of the pad (hindering follow through if you plant at the end of the pad)
4) holes where no1 takes the obvious fairway aka. the locals hole
5) courses where every hole is a par 3.
williethekid
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to Courses