Course Design Pet Peeve

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby CJ1998 » Sat May 31, 2008 5:35 pm

I don't like the potential to hit people who are just minding their own business and riding their bike. There's a local course like that here where you could have a shot kick off a tree and end up in the bike path in a hurry. C'est pas bon.

Some of the long tees at my local course offer absolutely no route to even have a good upshot. It's absurd. There's not even overhand routes. It's like, you have to keep it under the trees, yet go up a hill at the same time. Chances are, the upshot will be blind, too.
CJ1998
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby TheMarz » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:57 pm

My local course has natural teepads(which suck) and two holes running right next to a baseball field. Two choices play short or throw and end up in the middle of the field during a game.
TheMarz
Noob

Postby Bobby12many » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:48 pm

Fritz wrote:
discdawg wrote:I hate it when I go to a new course and I have no idea where to throw, where the next basket is, baskets without numbers, tee boxes without numbers or guides, no distances posted, etc, etc.

By far the biggest peeve of mine.

How hard is it to make a Tee marker, really? :evil:
Bobby12many
Noob

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:52 pm

Easy to make. Hard to retain (vandalism, mower damage). Many times, people hold off on doing nice signs because the course is not completed yet in terms of alterate pins or tee positions. Some park departments don't want anything projecting above the ground so they don't have to trim around them.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Bobby12many » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:24 pm

Chuck Kennedy wrote:Easy to make. Hard to retain (vandalism, mower damage). Many times, people hold off on doing nice signs because the course is not completed yet in terms of alterate pins or tee positions. Some park departments don't want anything projecting above the ground so they don't have to trim around them.

Well if they have good reason to NOT have tee markers, they very well should have maps available
Bobby12many
Noob

Postby Leopard » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:07 am

I make tee signs and course maps, you can find images and information here.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby RustyP » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:05 pm

ZAMson wrote:I make tee signs and course maps, you can find images and information here.

I was up at Houck's course in Hot Springs, AR (Cedar Glades DGC) this past weekend...saw they finally got some nice signage. Was that your work Zam?
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby Leopard » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:14 pm

RustyP wrote:
ZAMson wrote:I make tee signs and course maps, you can find images and information here.

I was up at Houck's course in Hot Springs, AR (Cedar Glades DGC) this past weekend...saw they finally got some nice signage. Was that your work Zam?

No, I don't think we did the signs for Cedar Glades. At least, if Circular Productions did the signs, it was before Spring 2006 and not my work.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby Timko » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:20 pm

RustyP wrote:

Sweet course, isn't it? I'm from AR, and went to school in Hot Springs. I was down there over Christmas, and got a chance to play it. I LOVE wooded courses!
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby geoloseth » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:48 pm

My pet peeve with alot of disc golf courses here in Texas is that they design certain holes to me especially challenging for backhand and sidearm throwers but they forget about the guys who can tomahawk decently. So where I'm struggling and praying for my disc to make it through a 6' gap 30' in front of me, the overhand player comes up and just tosses over everything. Not that's its a bad shot to have in your bag, but it seems that most designers down here like to have the teepad and pin out in the open instead of maybe putting it under a tree or in a position that actually forces one particular shot.

That being said it's not always the designer's fault. I've talked to some that told me there were HUGE trees blocking a tommy shot but either they fell down or the city came and cut them down.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby RustyP » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:00 pm

Furthur wrote:
RustyP wrote:

Sweet course, isn't it? I'm from AR, and went to school in Hot Springs. I was down there over Christmas, and got a chance to play it. I LOVE wooded courses!

Hell yes, I love that place! That was the first course I headed to after moving to Texarkana (aside from our little dinker course here in town). It kicks my ass every single time, but i can't get enough of it. They've already started designing a second course that will run along the outer edges of the current course...can't wait to see what they come up with on that land...so much potential!

They had their first pdga sanctioned event last weekend, but I missed it so I could attend my buddy's first ever event of his own in Dallas.
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby Timko » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:52 pm

RustyP wrote:
Furthur wrote:
RustyP wrote:

Hell yes, I love that place! That was the first course I headed to after moving to Texarkana (aside from our little dinker course here in town). It kicks my ass every single time, but i can't get enough of it. They've already started designing a second course that will run along the outer edges of the current course...can't wait to see what they come up with on that land...so much potential!

They had their first pdga sanctioned event last weekend, but I missed it so I could attend my buddy's first ever event of his own in Dallas.

I got to play league while I was down there (and was 1 stroke from winning...damned 57), and they said there's a lot of plans for that area. You could put in a CRUSHER course on the rest of that land.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Previous

Return to Courses