Course Design Pet Peeve

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:54 pm

Aahh, I never got to see the final BD layout after our first review 10 months before Worlds. I suppose making it a par 3 offset one of those few "par 2s" among all courses played...
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fritz » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:36 pm

Chuck Kennedy wrote:Aahh, I never got to see the final BD layout after our first review 10 months before Worlds. I suppose making it a par 3 offset one of those few "par 2s" among all courses played...

There was definitely no easy 2's on the Brown Deer course. That course tore me up day #1, day #3 I shot -1 on it. Unfortunately I had a bad round at Dretzka that negated my stellar performance at Brown Deer.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby matchu » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:00 pm

I dont like cops circling around Ie: Tom Bass Houston, or cops on horses and bikes, Ie: Tom Bass Houston, and Oak meadows Houston.
Last edited by matchu on Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Synchronize the why’s, the if’s the lies. Shake and sift through the mess. Digress the flesh left is our disguise.

matchu
matchu
Fairway Surgeon

Postby matchu » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:04 pm

Fritz wrote:
williethekid wrote:unfortunately that seems to be grandfathered for ease of score counting, but if you throw 3 better than average shots to get there, then its a par 4. Also I think chuck kennedy talks about perfect 33% distribution, of 33% birdies, 33% pars, 33% bogies or worse, if there is 0-5% birdies maybe the par is off.

I completely agree and I think Disc Golf is to a crossing point where they need to develop a better Par system. Cause I'm sorry a 800ft hole is NOT a par 3.

yeah we can only count in multiples of three, take us serious and give us your sponsor money!
Synchronize the why’s, the if’s the lies. Shake and sift through the mess. Digress the flesh left is our disguise.

matchu
matchu
Fairway Surgeon

Postby matchu » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:05 pm

matchu wrote:
discdawg wrote:I hate it when I go to a new course and I have no idea where to throw, where the next basket is, baskets without numbers, tee boxes without numbers or guides, no distances posted, etc, etc.

That and big piles of dog crap. Next time I see someone letting their dog take a crap on the course then both dog and owner become targets.

So that was you that hit my dog with a thumber at the conroe course? lol

matchu
matchu
Fairway Surgeon

Postby readysetstab » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:54 pm

1. trees or tee signs at the end of the teepad that can rip my hand off.
2. tee pads that drop off significantly right at the edge (same concept)
3. a tree in the middle of a narrow fairway. if it's a bigger fairway, whatever, but you need to be able to get around it without just getting lucky.
4. long bumpy holes... need flat ground on a long hole for my roller :)
5. hate to have too many wooded holes. i'm usually good in the woods, but i like being able to throw more than just one shot. having options is more fun.
6. courses that you could potentially shoot a -18 on.
7. having to watch out for traffic.
8. baskets that are too guarded (theres a hole at Rosedale in KC with a little bushy tree about 5 ft from the basket. that's a little too close. screwed me over in a tournament because my upshot scooted right behind it and i couldn't get around)
9. lack of variety, in general

I like clowns mouth holes as long as they aren't rediculous. i've seen some that aren't incredibly tough to make it through and that was fine by me.

and courses that don't favor right handers are fun (i'm a righty). it's more challenging and lets you practice forehands and annhyzers a lot... something that most people don't do a lot of.
Last edited by readysetstab on Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
readysetstab
Fairway Surgeon

Postby corey115 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:28 pm

1. Courses with dirt tees.
2. Having to walk back 300 ft. to get to the next tee box.
3. Crossing fairways or the potential for an errant shot to harm someone.
4. No signs
5. Extremely steep terrain
6. Water :(
7. Holes that are all the same length
Predator | Avenger | Boss | Drone | Buzzz | Yeti
corey115
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby rehder » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:57 am

Good things that make a golf course.

1) Good level tees (tees that are on an incline or decline do not qualify)
2) No artificial OB (usdgc style ob)/nor mandos (I realize at this time, when Disc Golf course designers are limited in what they can do to make courses harder, at times have to resort to this sort of thing.)
3) Multiple routes are always a bonus (If they all are difficult fine by me)
4) Elevation changes
5) Mix of wooded and open holes
6) mix of short holes from par 2's to long par 5's

Things like distance between tees and last basket and distance between tee 1/basket 18 are nice if they can be kept down. But I would rather have all of the above and long walks between holes, than the alternative.
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jerry R » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:48 am

matchu wrote:I dont like cops circling around Ie: Tom Bass Houston, or cops on horses and bikes, Ie: Tom Bass Houston, and Oak meadows Houston.

matchu wrote:yeah we can only count in multiples of three, take us serious and give us your sponsor money!

I wonder which mentality is less likely to get sponsors to take us seriously? :)
Jerry R
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Q Sentinel

Postby Dig It » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:21 pm

1: Natural/Non-existent tees. I will however play a place with natty tees before a place with object targets.

2: Object targets.

3: I will add to the dog poo, unleashed and wild dogs. If you have a dog that behaves off a leash then sweet. If not, tie it to your bag. I love taking my dog and have had to dump out half my coffee and use the cup when I forgot to bring him a bag.

4: Assholes? Can I just put that I don't care for assholes down for #4?
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby matchu » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:43 pm

Jerry R wrote:
matchu wrote:I dont like cops circling around Ie: Tom Bass Houston, or cops on horses and bikes, Ie: Tom Bass Houston, and Oak meadows Houston.

matchu wrote:yeah we can only count in multiples of three, take us serious and give us your sponsor money!

I wonder which mentality is less likely to get sponsors to take us seriously? :)

I would wager the one with no sense of humor?

matchu
matchu
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Jerry R » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:52 pm

matchu wrote:
Jerry R wrote:

I would wager the one with no sense of humor?

:) I did use a smiley :) Proof I have a sense of humor.
Jerry R
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Q Sentinel

Postby discdawg » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:53 pm

matchu wrote:
matchu wrote:
discdawg wrote:I hate it when I go to a new course and I have no idea where to throw, where the next basket is, baskets without numbers, tee boxes without numbers or guides, no distances posted, etc, etc.

That and big piles of dog crap. Next time I see someone letting their dog take a crap on the course then both dog and owner become targets.

Nah, I would have gone for you first! :lol:

Can't blame a dog for doing what dogs do (like licking their balls - I mean, come on, we all would if we could).

I hate to say it, but I got a little too much redneck in me to not aim at something/someone. It is just not a good day unless I can say "hey ya'll...watch this".

Almost hit a moving police car at Lincoln in Springfield, IL.
discdawg
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: TeeBird

Postby jtkustomizer » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:07 pm

discdawg wrote:
matchu wrote:
matchu wrote:

Nah, I would have gone for you first! :lol:

Can't blame a dog for doing what dogs do (like licking their balls - I mean, come on, we all would if we could).

I hate to say it, but I got a little too much redneck in me to not aim at something/someone. It is just not a good day unless I can say "hey ya'll...watch this".

Almost hit a moving police car at Lincoln in Springfield, IL.

Thats Just Great and made me LOL so hard the boss came in to see what I was laughing at now he is laughing and he doesnt laugh EVER.
Destroyer, Firebird, Teebird, Valkryie, FLX Drone, Buzzz, Impact and Warlock
jtkustomizer
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: www.gorilla-boy.com

Postby ferretdance03 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:39 pm

My biggest gripe is no/bad tee signs. All you really need is a distance and a crude drawing, if the pin isn't visible from the tee.
I don't mind natural tees if they are well maintained.
And I'm not particularly fond of un-fairways from the tee.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

PreviousNext

Return to Courses