Course Design Pet Peeve

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Jwt4412 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:50 pm

JT,

Were you playing
#17 from the top of the steps?
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby discdawg » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:53 pm

Jwt4412 wrote:JT,

Were you playing
#17 from the top of the steps?

It was me, and that is a good guess. Missed the trunk by about 12 inches and hit the trash can at the bottom. Not a good golf throw, but entertaining.

Nice course, but that is a DANGEROUS hole!! :D
discdawg
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: TeeBird

Postby Jwt4412 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:55 pm

It's temporary until they get the pond finished...
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby J. Ray » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:24 am

The Natural wrote:My biggest gripe is courses that only consider the right handed backhand route. ie lots of righty hyzers. I throw lhbh and this just pisses me off. At least give me a few holes that have a lefty hyzer line that can be thrown cleanly.

Lefty here also. I've just come to expect this @ almost every course I play. It's forced me to develop more shots.

My next point. I really hate it when a course is designed devoid of thumber routes. This is often due to designers having a more traditionalist perspective, often too subjective. Look at a disc. It was clearly designed w/ this option in mind! Granted I do live in Central Texas where the cedars are only about 20ft high.
J. Ray
Noob

Postby Smoke » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:52 am

Hmm where to start..

- Unneeded trees. I can understand the need for difficulty, but on a certain course up here, they went above and beyond difficult and its just a flat out pain in the ass.

- Unneeded OBs. What would posses someone to put sidewalks all through a disc golf park I don't know. They made it so that all the sidewalks are OB, effectively meaning each hole now has 1-6 OBs.

- Natural Teepads. They suck...enough said.

- Lack of Tee signs. Been to quite a few courses that don't believe in marking the holes.

- Poor park management, IE broken benches, no trash cans, drinking fountains that are never on, bathrooms that are always locked, grass thats mowed only a couple times a year.

- Single style courses, either a pitch and putt course, or its a "bring out the super duper ultra really really really long range driver". It nice to have a mix of both.

Hmm I think I have ranted enough for now lol.
I'm neither a bear, nor a cheetah..I'm a WOLVERINE!

"Must get past the first tree....um the second one too." - Bill
"Start the lawnmower..smack the midget." - D, when talking about how to throw
"No Low Putts!" - Hell if I know
Smoke
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby Beat Roc » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:59 pm

The Natural wrote:My biggest gripe is courses that only consider the right handed backhand route. ie lots of righty hyzers. I throw lhbh and this just pisses me off. At least give me a few holes that have a lefty hyzer line that can be thrown cleanly.

That's interesting because a lot of the courses I play seem to go out of their way to reduce the number of sweep hyzers for a rhbh player. One lefty on our course is always gloating about his lines while a lot of us are throwing forehand or trickshots or odd lines.

Granted that there are alternate pin locations, but one course I play regularly is set up with only 4 of 18 shots being possible hyzers for a rhbh player. And only one is what I'd call a "standard hyzer" others with tunnels, nasty doglegs, obstacles, etc.

Variety is what make a course fun for me, too much of the same gets old quick.

cheers, mmm
Beat Roc
Tree Magnet

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:10 pm

Did "Lefty Lissaman" design that course? 8)
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby MTB » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:53 pm

Baskets and tee pads on flat surfaceses have been buggin me lately. No drainage and it turns into a muddy mess. Need to have positive drainage away from tee pads and baskets. I'd say at least 2% -10% slope, these are areas that everyone that plays the course will be walking on. Great care should be taken to ensure they drain properly so any vegetation (lawn) has a chance to survive and the they don't become a muddy mess.
MTB
Noob

Postby ChainChomper » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:52 am

Personally Ive never liked courses where in tournaments you have to wait for the "other" group to finish playing their hole before you can safely putt or drive yours, Bad original course design that "old school" people designed while throwing lids, and "tradition" or what not that doesnt allow it to be fixed for proper flow. People used to laugh when I said I wanted to rip out the whole course and start over.

As far as the guys who dont like the right hand oriented courses i understand. Go to Durham Nc where most of the holes were designed by a thumber, wherever his thumb shot landed thats where he put a basket.

I also understand that not all courses have people or funds for teepads,signs and the things needed to get around easily but at least have a descriptive scorecard available.

On the lines of dog doo, thats not as bad as getting ready to throw a hole and watching a couple idiots put beer cans and chicken bones in the basket like its a trash can, or watching some idiot take out a tree limb jumping up and down on it.
ChainChomper
Noob

Postby jamsisjams » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:50 am

After playing the Chapel Hill course and scoring a +4, I've decided that a decent tee pad is really what I'm looking for. I don't know why but I had a mental breakdown on one hole and I took a triple bogey. The hole in question has a tee pad that is just the remnants of a paved cart trail. The trail isn't level, smooth, doesn't drain and is in the shade. My two friends both did well on that hole (par and birdie, respectively) so I accept that my poor performance was strictly my bad. Honestly, though, no other tee pad was even close to the condition of that particular one and it stuck out horribly for yours truly.
Tsunami-SOLF--JLS-Wasp-Buzzz--Wizard-Whitler

"Hit me with your wisdom, cow."
jamsisjams
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:18 am

The interesting thing is that if you had a lie on the fairway with footing exactly like that poor tee, it would't necessarily have mentally worked you the way it did. Since we have to deal with poor tees at times, you just have to not think of it as a tee shot and just another routine lie on the fairway, and go from there.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby rehder » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:38 pm

Chuck Kennedy wrote:The interesting thing is that if you had a lie on the fairway with footing exactly like that poor tee, it would't necessarily have mentally worked you the way it did. Since we have to deal with poor tees at times, you just have to not think of it as a tee shot and just another routine lie on the fairway, and go from there.

Except you shouldnt be penalized on your teeshot. I totally accept bad lies on the fairway or rough, but it in no way makes sense to penalize players on the tee shot. I can agree that this isnt ballgolf, but tbh penalizing players on the tee is bad course design.
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:53 pm

It's not bad course design but poor maintenance if it was done right in the beginning. You don't blame the architect when it's time to paint the house again or repair the roof.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby rehder » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:09 pm

Thats true, but in essence my point is still the same. You should not be penalized on the tee :wink:
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby marmoset » Sat May 31, 2008 3:37 pm

Being penalized for a good shot. I.E.- rocks, roots or hillsides that kick you or roll you away when you hit the small, desired landing zone.
marmoset
King of Calipers

PreviousNext

Return to Courses