Ohio Courses

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Ohio Courses

Postby timg » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:44 am

So I'm planning on taking a dg road trip this Spring through Ohio since there seems to be a decent concentration of courses around Columbus/Cincinnati. I thought about heading East too (MA/ME) but I think I can play more and drive less if I choose Ohio. Chances are I'll head east sometime in the summer to play the Maple Hill courses, etc.

I'm looking for course recommendations pretty much anywhere in Ohio state for trip #1. Last year we went through PA twice, heading East on the first trip, West on the second and it was a blast with some excellent courses. Hopefully this year's trips will be just as good.

Any course recommendation you guys can throw out would definitely be appreciated.
timg
Tree Magnet

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:41 pm

You should consider checking out the five courses planned for the 2010 Am Worlds a ways north of Columbus. Heading north, they are the only listings in Delaware, Marion, Bucyrus, Upper Sandusky and Tiffin. Delaware is probaby the best by a little bit and Tiffin the weakest right now but all are being steadily upgraded prior to AW2010.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby timg » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:25 pm

Thanks Chuck, I will definitely put those on the list.
timg
Tree Magnet

Postby jeremy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:38 pm

Some of my favorite courses in or around Ohio

A.J Jolly Alexandria, Ky
Mt. Airy Forest Cincinnati
Banklick Woods Independence, Ky
Idlewild Burlington, Ky
Hoover Dam, Brent Hambrick Memorial Columbus, OH
jeremy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 178gr Comet

Postby timg » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:49 am

Thanks Jeremy.. I added those to my list as well. They all look good and these courses are helping me figure out which path to take through the state.
timg
Tree Magnet

Postby Glock23 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:12 am

If you come to NE Ohio, we have some good ones. I am sure you could even meet up with some of us locals to show you around.

Arboretum-spiker Park in Canton OH - 24 holes
Lincoln Park - Massilon Ohio - 18 holes
Deis Park - Dover Ohio - 18 holes
Roscoe Ewing Park - Medina OH - 18 holes
Hudson Springs Park - Hudson OH - 18 holes
Sims Park - Euclid OH - 18 holes
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby timg » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:41 am

Thanks Glock. That brings up my course count to 18. We're coming down from Rochester, NY during Memorial Day weekend so we'll have around 4 days in the area. I think some courses may not make the cut due to time constraints, most likely the ones down by Cincinnati.
timg
Tree Magnet

Postby discndav » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:31 am

Last September I stopped by Tiffin, Upper Sandsuky and Bucyrus along the hiway 30 corridor in central Ohio.

Boyer Pk in Tiffin is a nice well maintained park with a good course with some long walks in between the holes. I didn't find holes 7-9 though. There is an addition hole between 9 and 10 called 9210.

Reservior Pk in Upper Sandusky has a long very open front and short wooded
back 9, I saw it a week after the big flood. The water lines were well above the baskets on the back 9!

Aumiller Pk in Bucyrus was heavily wooded on the front and much more open and flatter with large tress on the back.

Overall I liked Boyer the best and am surprised above where Chuck said is was the weakest. Are Marion and Delaware that much better?
discndav
Noob

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:03 am

On terrain alone, Delaware is the best. Plus, the design has more variety with the most par 4s and 5s compared to the others. Too bad Upper was flooded since I think it will likely be second best or tied with Bucyrus by the time the upgrades are completed. Likewise, Bucyrus will get better with some more woods clearing planned to make a few par 4s in there. It's kind of the mirror of Upper with woods first then an open flood plain whereas Upper is open in the beginning and drops to a wooded flood plain.

Marion and Tiffin are the flattest overall and similar in length. Not having as much elevation knocks a point off in my book although the designs are both very good for the terrain they have available and both have sufficient trees to make interesting holes. Hole 7 at Tiffin is a steep drop down thru a small window in the woods. Eight is in the woods and 9 comes back up the hill and pops out of the woods about 100 feet behind where the tee for the transition hole 9210 tees off.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Glock23 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:16 am

timg wrote:Thanks Glock. That brings up my course count to 18. We're coming down from Rochester, NY during Memorial Day weekend so we'll have around 4 days in the area. I think some courses may not make the cut due to time constraints, most likely the ones down by Cincinnati.

No problem. If you guys need a place to crash, or a hot meal drop me a line. My wife would be more than happy to have some steaks ready or something. We also have an extra bedroom and some couches if you don't want to pay to stay somewhere.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby dflaschiii » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:48 pm

it'd be a shame if you couldn't get down by cinci to play idlewild, a course that, along with Stafford Lake in Novato, CA, is one my two favorites in the country and defidently worth an extra hour in the car. the columbus courses are good and there are plently of good suggestions up there, but is anyone else with me when I say that Idlewild is by far the best course in the region and should not be missed? it's in a class all by itself
dflaschiii
Tree Magnet

Postby zealot » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:05 pm

yo if u make it up here we can put up a few people over a weekend

Arboretum-spiker Park in Canton OH - 24 holes
Lincoln Park - Massilon Ohio - 18 holes
Deis Park - Dover Ohio - 18 holes

these 3 are within a half hour of eachother and im BLESSED to live close to em.
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby timg » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:52 pm

Hmm.. well I am still narrowing the course list down and I'll see if we can swing down by Idlewild.

Also, thanks everyone for the offers for room and board, that is incredibly nice of you. I have to narrow things down to a final course list and then map out a route to figure out where we're going to be on any given day. This may be the first trip where we stay in the same place for more than one night.. that will be a first :)
timg
Tree Magnet

Postby TeeRexJJ » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:29 pm

in central Ohio there's some good ones the Hoover dam/brent hambrick, blendon woods ( simple course maybe not worth trying),griggs (great course very open), kinslow(short wooded again probably not worth going to)
TeeRexJJ
Tree Magnet

Postby TeeRexJJ » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:31 pm

oh and Ohio state has a course on campus that's open to the public but I haven't played it yet
TeeRexJJ
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to Courses